Dog Not Eating After Vaccinations

girl05

Hi,

My dog got vaccinated on Monday , on Monday afternoon he ate, on Tuesday and on Wednesday didn't eat and vomited the food from Monday. He only drinks if we force water down his mouth with a spoon.We called the vets they said he should be fine and thats normal after a vaccination. We even took him back in and a vet nurse had a quick look over him and said he looks ok.. but his not eating or drinking, and it Friday, He never gets sick after vaccinations.For the first time he had a heartworm vacination and also he had his kennel cough vacinnation and normal vaccination(both which his had before)

Thanks

Edited by girl05

Go to another vets! 4 days off your food ain't normal from where I sit.

I'd be seeking a second opinion as a matter of urgency. Not offence to vet nurses but I'd want a qualified professional opinion on my dog.

I'd be thinking about blood tests at this point.

Go to another vets!  4 days off your food ain't normal from where I sit.

I'd be seeking a second opinion as a matter of urgency.  Not offence to vet nurses but I'd want a qualified professional opinion on my dog.

I'd be thinking about blood tests at this point.

I agree, it isn't normal at all, and I got the impression that she thought I was overracting!!

We are going to another vet this afternoon.

We originally were told if we went in yesterday after vet hours that we had to pay $78 just for the vet to see the dog, so we went in and thats when the vet nurse said all the vets were in a meeting( even though we made prior arrangements to going there) and the girl at the front desk-vet nurse looked over him.I'm so frustrated.We went all that way for nothing, and my poor dog isn't any better.

His was fine before we took him to the vet and now this happens..

Edited by girl05

We called the vets they said he should be fine and thats normal after a vaccination. We even took him back in and a vet nurse had a quick look over him and said he looks ok..

Slightly stating the obvious here - but this is simply not good enough! :scared:

Really hope your dog will be OK :)

what breed of dog is your poor sick one? I ask as a few breeds such as Collies, Shelties, Aus Sheps cannot have the heartwrom injection due to ivermectin sensitivity and a damn lot of Vets don't realise that.

Get to another Vet asap and let us know how you go.

Maltest cross shitzu

Update-Just came back from the new vet,(this vet was very good and concerned) vet reckons my dog picked up a virus from the rspca vet clinic. Vet gave my dog some antibiotics, in tablets and also gave him an injection,If my dog isn't better tommorow vet said he will have to put my dog on a drip:(

I'm so worried, hopefully he will be okay.I managed to get a little bit of food into him this afternoon. Also he said my dog is a bit dehydrated:(

Edited by girl05

We called the vets they said he should be fine and thats normal after a vaccination. We even took him back in and a vet nurse had a quick look over him and said he looks ok..

Slightly stating the obvious here - but this is simply not good enough! :scared:

Really hope your dog will be OK :)

Hi girl05 and welcome to DOL.

I'm very glad you found a new vet who took your sick dog seriously. I would definitely NOT be returning to the original vet and in fact I would send them a strongly worded letter about their lack of service and professionalism.

Imbecils.

I'm sure your dog will be fine now that he's getting some help. Please let us know how he goes.

Hi girl05 and welcome to DOL.

I'm very glad you found a new vet who took your sick dog seriously. I would definitely NOT be returning to the original vet and in fact I would send them a strongly worded letter about their lack of service and professionalism.

Imbecils.

I'm sure your dog will be fine now that he's getting some help. Please let us know how he goes.

Hi,thanks!

Yes I'm relieved that I found a new vet who was concerned about my dogs condition.

I am definatelt NOT returning to the original vet,I will never go there again for anything especially after how I was brushed off and not taken seriously.I am disgusted with them.

Yeah I was thinking about writing a letter, though for now I just want to focus on my dog hopefully getting better then I'll do something about that.

Thanks, I hope he will be fine,even though its difficult I just need to try and keep him hydrated. I'll give another update tommorow.

Any vet that would inflict that cocktail of substances on a dog in one hit would never get my business. No wonder the poor dog picked something up - it's immune system would have been shot to hell!

I wouldn't be vaccinating him again either...

PS - why on earth did the new vet give antibiotics for a virus?

Any vet that would inflict that cocktail of substances on a dog in one hit would never get my business. No wonder the poor dog picked something up - it's immune system would have been shot to hell!

I wouldn't be vaccinating him again either...

PS - why on earth did the new vet give antibiotics for a virus?

Hi Morgan,

I was hesitant and worried when she gave him the heartworm injection as he only normally has 2 vaccinations done at once.I asked her if he would be okay and she said yes he should be.She told me its best to get it done now so his protected against heartworm.

I think the new vet today gave him antibiotics incase he is in pain.

This is what he gave-

Norocarp Inj 50mg 20ml(injection)

1 Baytril Injection 5% 50ml

3 Rimadyl 20mg tabs (tablets for me to give 1/2 a tab a day)

3 Baytril 50mg tablets (for me to give 1/2 a tablet a day)

I asked if he would be alright from the injections and he said yes as they are different to what vaccines have in them.

Does anyone know anything about those medications?

Thanks

Norocarp is a non-stick steroidal anti-inflammatory drug for the relief of pain and inflammation in dogs. It is Carprofen.

Baytril is an anti Bacterial drug.

Rimadyl is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that is used to reduce pain and inflammation. It too is Carprofen.

Norocarp is a non-stick steroidal anti-inflammatory drug for the relief of pain and inflammation in dogs. It is Carprofen.

Rimadyl is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that is used to reduce pain and inflammation. It too is Carprofen.

Thankyou :thumbsup:

I'm curious, why would the vet give two Carprofen meds - would they not do the same thing?

A lttle bit of vegemite (liquidised in a bit of hot water first) in your dog's water might inspire her to drink .... even if only a few laps at first.

Hope she recovers soon.

I very much know what it's like when Vets don't listen to you, fob you off and write you down as a worry wort ..... mine was a case of peritinitis, but they wouldn't listen to me.

Edited by Erny

Update-:thumbsup:

My dog was very sick on sunday morning we took him to the animal hospital.

My dog has has heart failure which is due to degeneration of the mitral valve in his heart. The signs came on suddenly as he ruptured a small band of muscle within the heart itself, thats why he was deterioating so quickly and not eating/drinking.This all happened after he had his vacinations on Monday(last wk)The doctor(vet) said it happened on the day of the vet visit when i got him vaccinated,something sparked it off for it to happen suddenly. Also the funny thing was the vet asked if he was tugged around the neck(we never pull my dog by his throat we are always very careful with him) maybe something happened when the vet took him away to test him for heartworm she could have grabbed him around the neck or something(ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU NEVER LEAVE YOUR ANIMAL ALONE WITH THE VET I always watch him but she took him away to a back room and took ages taking his blood)

Anyway now he has to take heart medication for the rest of his life.

He came out of hospital on Tuesday,though we had to take him back on Wednesday morning as he was breathing heavy and having a bit of trouble breathing, he stayed overnight his back home today(his fluid medication was increased to an extra dose a day) I have to give him his heart medication once in the morning then give him 1 quarter of his fluid tablets 3 times a day at 8am,4pm,and12am.

I can't believe whats happened, he was healthy and as happy as a puppy now this happens.

Its so heartbreaking. :( His eating and drinking, his medication makes him really thirsty.

So what you are saying is that you believe that the Vet who vaccinated your dog caused your dog to rupture a muscle in its heart??

That is a very serious accusation.

I would like to know how your new Vet knows that this is what has happned.