E Collar?!

fifmac

Hi, I'm moving to Perth from Sing soon with 2 smallish dogs. We use e-collars on them both. (We have been having constant lessons with the trainer who supplied us) Our dogs are very happy boys and I'm comfortable with using the collars, however I know some people aren't, are there any trainers in WA using them?

I train with an modern e-collar on my girl, and I'm in Perth....

I wouldn't say it is a common training tool over here, but I've never had any problems with the public. Anyone who has made a comment, I usually take the collar off and give them the chance to feel the stim on themselves.. they usually laugh at how low the stim really is. Problem solved.

Hi Chelseas Mum, They were both around 9 mths. In Singapore it's not unusual to have one to one training. We looked at a few classes and trainers, in the end the trainer we use came with his dog, demonstrated the collar, let us feel the stim etc. I really wasn't sure at all but we also went to see his group class and talked to a lot of owners there. He also let us try the collar for a week before we bought one, and we were really impressed. I was worried that the dogs personality would change, but that didn't happen. They wear their collars all of the time and have never seemed bothered, I'm really careful to look for skin irritation and have had no problems.

If we want them to they will walk to heel, sit etc. but most of the time we just use the stim or page to get them to come back or if they're distrated by other dogs etc

People are interested as the collars are quite obvious, so we spend a lot of time explaining what they are and how they should be used as many people presume they are just anti bark, or tracking devices.

The most frequent comment is ''can I get one for my husband''?

Edited by fifmac

My pup: Female 20 weeks German Shepherd X

The good: Will sit, drop, roll over & high fives * WITH TREATS * Recall is excellent most of the time. (see the ugly)

The bad: Pulls a bit on the lead. Shows no aggression, if a stranger was to walk through the side gate she would bark twice then start waging her tail.

The ugly: Absolute lunatic when other dogs are around, RECALL ZILCH, just wants to play, zoomies all around the yard at 300 kph. Drives me NUTS!!!

*Sorry to hijack the thread, didn’t want to start a new one*

Purplepulse you should contact K9 for advice. He is very good and will let you know the tools you need, especially if you want the best for your pup.... email support is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was supposed to send you an email re adobe and just haven't had two seconds to spare, sorry and thank you for your offer of help (slight hijiack - sorry all :thumbsup: )

PP - K9 Force is the way to go if you wish to look further into these collars... he actually has a book on e-collars (via his website). Absolute bargain IMO, I got one of these before I bought the collar... gave me plenty of time to read it!

EW - I think PP meant that his dog pulls on the lead, but without showing signs of aggresssion :thumbsup:

The bad: Purplepulse doesn’t express himself very well :{

The bad: Pulls a bit on the lead but with further training we will over come this.

Shows no aggression should be…….. lacks natural aggression…… ummm ….. has temperament more like a kelpie…. Does that make sense?

K9 Force: I have copied & printed lots of his posts. I wish I was armed with all this info 4 months ago but I cant turn back the clock so I will just have to try harder in the future.

purplepulse, do you want a protection dog? Or do you want your dog to be aggressive?

I would like her to have more “voice” a bit of bluff, not lick intruders to death.

It sounds like I’m disappointed with this pup but I’m not…. I’m enjoying her & enjoy training her. My daughter & I both look forward to dog training every Sunday morning.

Edited by purplepulse

You guys amuse me the way you justify using shock collars, ie "I felt it and couldn't believe how light the shock, (not that you use that term) was", "I only use it for specific problem training issues" and on and on you go.

What I have noticed when I have seen people testing a shock collar, is the immediate reaction to pull your hand, arm or whatever area it is being tested on away!

A shock device attached to a collar which is firmly fixed to the dogs neck, means the poor dog doesn't have the opportunity to pull away and has to bear the full intensity of the shock.

The guys who use it perpetually for perfect sits, stays and downs, would probably be better off with one of the new robotic dogs, which would deliver a perfect reaction instantly.

Where is the joy in owing a living animal if it has to be shocked into action instead of it offering you behaviours on cue. I don't have robot dogs, but I do have happy manageable companions.

PurplePulse - here is the link to the manual Training Manual

Oh, and thanks for clearing up your previous post... I was a bit baffled as to what you meant as well.

Powder Puff - As this thread is NOT about the pros & cons on e-collars... may I suggest you do a search for a previous thread that is on that subject. Save us all having to go back over it again.

I don't know about private trainers, but I think you'd be best not to take e-collars to club classes if you're thinking of joining any obedience/agility groups. Most of the clubs have moved over to reward-based training, and I imagine you'd be asked to remove e-collars before they'd let you train.