Pulling My Hair Out At The Moment

Axel

OK I am ready to send Axel away for a few weeks for a break from him :laugh:

he isnt listening at the moment.. usually he is a well behaved and obedient dog who does everythign i ask of him without a fuss..

but lately (last 3 or 4 days especially) he is not doing a thing i ask on the first instance, is even challenging at times..

its mainly when there is something there for him to chase...

we had heeling on lead, sits and stays and drops etc.. down pat, even under distraction..

thats all gone out the window now :laugh:

whats going on????

awww no you poor things

Has something changed for him lately? I mean is anything different in his world?

This is gonna be a dumb question, and I'm sure you've probably considered it, but is he unwell? Has he hurt himself somehow?

Sorry I can't be much more help. Maybe he is just in a "mood"

I hope it improves for you very soon. I'm sure someone wiser than me will have some wonderful advice

Good luck

Zia

Sorry I can't be much more help. Maybe he is just in a "mood"

Not in the mood! :laugh:

What does that have to do with it? A dog must do what it's owner commands in any situation.

If the dog is clearly disobeying known commands then there are serious issues to follow, especially with a 22 month old entire German Shepherd Male. This is not a healthy relationship for any domestic dog and owner to be in.

With my dogs, I say jump and well, you know the rest. That doesn't mean that they are terrified of me, they love every moment we are together. My position in the pack is clear in their mind. I'm the Alpha and I call the shots.

This is where Axel's problems are stemming from. The position for Alpha is not clear so she is being challenged by her dog at present.

Edited by Herr Rottweiler

Ohhhhhhh I'm sorry hunny.... I was going on and on about all the crap in my life and your having a hard time too and I didn't ask. God I'm a selfish b***h sometimes.

I have the perfect solution for Axel's little problem........ Tell him that no more teddybear hugs are coming till he behaves himself. He won't be able to resist that !!!!!

:o:laugh::):laugh::o:mad

Ali, dont be silly Honey my dramas are nothing compared to yours at the moment :laugh:

He is 22 months old, entire has had a stud and is on the upper limits of size.. is also the only dog in the yard and i live on my own with just him..

he is basically lead pulling again ignoring my commands, has started chasing the flies and butterflies in the yard and will NOT come when i ask him to whilst he is chasing, he almost knocked me over numerous times on the weekend when i was at mum and dad's trying to get at their cats (he will usually still heel, but will watch them) and he didnt listen to me once whilst the cats were around...

dominance i think is the problem here.. something i thought we had sorted out.. but i also think there is some drive issues going on too :laugh:

What does that have to do with it? A dog must do what it's owner commands in any situation.

I didn't say it "had anything to do with it" Nor did I suggest it was acceptable.

I was merely offering a possible explanation

Also I am well aware that a dog must do what it's owner commands in any situation.

Fair enough. I'm just surprised that someone who claims to know would offer that as an explanation.

Why does that surprise you?

I am actually surprised that you are surprised.

Dogs don't get into moods? They get in moods absolutely. This isn't to say this is the problem. Knowing the basics of the pack/Alpha structure has nothing to do with believing a dog gets in a "mood".

But this is veering off Axel's original posting, my apologies Axel. I hope you get it sorted soon

Zia

Dogs don't get into moods? They get in moods absolutely.

My dog doesn't have moods - he's always happy and bouncy, unless he's sick or asleep. Perhaps he's just not smart enough to have moods? :o

It is off topic though, I guess. Perhaps you could start another topic on this, Zia, explaining what you meant?

As HR inferred, could be your "leadership" is in question with this dog. How old is he? Perhaps he's at that age where he's "flexing his adolescent muscles" .... it's not uncommon for me to hear people saying "he has been obedient, up until now ..." This usually indicates either:

1. The dog is changing (age related hormones etc.)

2. The owner has changed (routine, assertiveness etc.)

Can you fill us in with a bit more detail ... perhaps we can help you better, but I still suspect leadership needs to be investigated as the symptoms smack of an imbalance there.

ETA: Oops, sorry - just read your more recent post. 22 months - prime time for your dog to be thinking he's Top Dog. (Flexing muscles, as I suggested above). Take a serious look at your leadership - the things you do on an every day basis, as well as your assertiveness. If he's not listening to your commands, and learns he doesn't have to, that's not going to help him believe in your capabilities as leader, and can lead to your situation becoming worse.

There are HEAPS and heaps of discussions we've had here on DOL regarding leadership and how to achieve/re-establish it. Check out the DOL search engine under "leadership" and also "NILIF" and have a read.

If you're not sure of anything that's written there, come back here and ask. :o

Get onto it quickly, though .... the longer it goes on, the longer it takes to re-establish your heirarchy status in the dog's mind.

Edited by Erny

Good post Erny. I have PM'd back and forth with Axel which will hopefully assist her with her ALPHA issue.

Zia, I probably should appolgise. I'm having a frustarting couple of days and work and I re read my post which appeared a little arrogant :o

This is a public forum and everyone is entitled to their say

Hi Axel :p you have the very same problem as my eldest niece with her staffy....word for word ;) and what Herr Rottweiler said is spot on :o with my niece's dog she is a female dog but went through the same thing, just stopped listening and started being the boss, my niece had to start to use a water spray bottle and spray the dog to get her to listen, but my other niece (the two sister share a house) would pull the dog up and correcting the dog, and now Willow will listen to the younger sister but not her owner (the eldest sister) and its still like that today, its a shame, Tegan has told her what to do, but you just have to be the leader of the pack, no question about it, and then things will settle down and you can enjoy your fur baby again ;)

I have PM'd back and forth with Axel which will hopefully assist her with her ALPHA issue.

Zia, I probably should appolgise.

Axel ..... you'll get some good advice from HR!

And HR - I don't think Zia will hold anything against you ..... I have seen much stronger posts written (mine? ..... ! in some threads :o )

Hi Herr and Erny, yes it was great and I LOVE going to training, we always have a ball, and my niece (Tegan) and her pup love it aswell ;) and at softball there are alot of dogs and we wlak around with our well behaved pups and we get alot of comments while other dog owners are getting their arms pulled out :eek:

Sorry didn't mean to high jack the thread :angel: