Ollie Dog - Mast Cell Tumour

Staffyluv

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am so happy that he is doing so well pampa...

Someone asked me the other day if I thought it was due to the chemo or the holistic therapy - I told them I did not care, just as long as he was feeling well and healthy...

Cheers

Jodie

We have had a bit of a set back this week...

Ollie could not have his chemo as his white blood cell (WBC) count was only 1.1, vet said it needs to be at least 2.5 to do the chemo...

We have to wait until next week now and have another blood test to make sure that his WBC count is OK... He is a bit flat this week, I thought it was just because of the heat... I have to take his temp twice a day, to make sure he has no infection and if his temp goes above 39.2, then the vet wants me to take him in... So far so good, his temp has been 38.3 at the highest...

Fingers crossed here that he does not get an infection and can have his chemo next week...

Thanks

Jodie

Jodie,

I have my fingers crossed for you guys sweetie & sending you heaps of healing vibes for him to be 100% for chemo next year.

I know how hard this journey is, watch him & do the right thing for him :laugh: :rolleyes:

Jacqui

• 2 weeks later...

I think he deals with it better than I do...

He is quite round at the moment (not so much fat as it is around his tummy and really hard to the touch), he is drinking 3-4 litres of water a day and always seems to be starving... The vet said this is just a side effect of the chemo drugs that he is on... He has gone to the toilet in the house a couple of times. But this is only becuase he cannot wake someone to let him out (poor little fella, he gets all forlorn about it too). Apart from that the chemo does not make him vomit...

He is really quite slow on his walks some days but I don't mind what pace he sets, just as long as he enjoys them... We used to walk up to 4km's a day now we are down to less than 1km daily... And by the end of the walk he is quite tired... I don't push him at all, he makes his way back to the car when he is ready to go home... He does walk better in the morning, I think because it is cooler...

He still wants to wrestle with the boys and has a ball when friends bring their kids over (he usually sleeps for ages after the kids have been)...

Bless my angel, I really don't think that he will be here for a long time now.. The heat really affects him and everyone comments on how slow he is now... It breaks my heart everyday, to know that I have to say goodbye sooner rather than later... Bugger, I am bawling now - I don't talk about this sort of thing with the others here at home and sometimes it all gets so built up...

Thanks for asking

Jodie and Ollie dog

Hey Jodie,

Sending Ollie and you lots of :eek: ;) :bottom:

Sorry to hear it's getting a bit much for you,

I know how hard it is to see them that way,

but it still sounds like he's still enjoying life,

so everyday together is precious.

Keep strong, and best wishes for you both

:D

That photo of Ollie is a treasure!

Danni

Dear Jodie, sending you and your best mate Ollie lots of hugs and best wishes that there is a wonderful outcome for you all, the portrait is beautiful for you to treasure.

Thinking of you at this time, and my Lab Whisky's paws are crossed for darling Ollie

Thanks for the update jodie, sorry to push you for an answer but many of us are behind you and are genuinely concerned for your progress together... Try to keep your chin up and profit from every second you spend with your beloved boy. If you have the courage, let us know how you are getting on from time to time. :D

:D beautiful portrait of Olly.

you've covered every medical base, now its a case of loving every day with him.

make sure you have a doggy friend to talk to, because grieving often starts with diagnosis or bad prognosis, and you are already starting to grieve inside for the changes in your boy, and a parting that you know will come one day. Don't let it build up Jodie, 'cause it will make it harder for you to enjoy Ollie now.

sorry to be so up front, and I guess it depends on how you deal best with your feelings. But we are here for ya.

fifi

Thanks fifi, I read your post and burst into tears... I am so broken hearted that I cannot do more for him...

He had a terrible night last night, I stayed up with him and all he wanted to do was lay near me... It was so hot and he pants so fast, he just seems exhausted at the moment. It seems like he has been panting really hard for the last couple of days... His temperature is 38.3C (so not really high) and still loves his walk and food, so he must be doing OK... Mind you he is snoring his head off, at my feet, as I type this...

I think I need to get him a cooling mat, will have to investigate where in Canberra I can get one on Monday...

I think that I am a bit emotional at the moment (due to Ollie and the OH), so every little thing seems ten times worse than it really is...

Thanks for all the comfort and support

Jodie

;) Hey Jodie, there is a heap on your plate at the moment, and I think you are a very strong and practical gal.

Talk to your vet about the panting, he may need a review of his medication.

I didn't mean to make you cry :D :eek: but thank you for letting us know how things are going. I hope you can find a cool mat for Ollie,

the bloody heat always makes things worse - hoping for a cool change down your way.

big kisses to Ollie

fifi & hounds

Hi Jodie & Ollie,

Just read all the post, my heart goes out to Oillie, u & yr family...best wishes, & hang in there.....

Oillie is very lucky to have u in his life......I know he feels the love from u & yr family....

He also has the love & support from every1 here as well......

Big hugs to all...... :laugh:

He's a beautiful boy too.....what ever the outcome may be in the end Jodie, be very proud of yourself as u have done everything possible to make Oillie's life a very loving & happy one....... :p

Keep smiling....... :D

Marlene...................... :D

Jodie dear you know i walk the road with you and Ollie. It is always a roller coaters heaps of ups and downs. Chin up.

Here are some links for colling mats:

http://www.silvereagleoutfitters.com.au/co..._kennel_mat.htm

http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/vetpro...Items/KCM03.htm

ebay: canine cooler http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canine-Cooler-Cooli...1QQcmdZViewItem

or you can make one using water crystals..let me know if you would like the directions. Some of the others I feel are better in that they are not damp. I used home made ones for Lucinda and made them extra cool by placing in the freezer for about 1/5 hour.

Hugs

Helen

Thanks for the links Helen.

I went and got one for him today...

It is great and stays cool for up to 2 days before you have to wet it again...

Thankyou everyone for your kind words... I am sure we (both Ollie and I) will be fine, some days are just a little harder than others... It is nice to be able to come to DOL and have others who are sharing the same experiences and others that just lend an ear for when it is tough...

Thank you

Jodie