Ollie Dog - Mast Cell Tumour

Staffyluv

Well folks the results are in...

The lump on his rump and the one on his foot were a grade 2 mast cell tumour...

He goes back in for more surgery tomorrow morning to remove more skin, fat and tissue from the rump. It looks like they got the whole tumour from his foot...

He is also having a biopsy done on the local lymph glands to see if it is spreading...

I am absolutely devestated... I don't know anything about this ;)

Jodie

Edited by Staffyluv

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys,

I just feel so bad about the poor little fella having to have more surgery tomorrow.. He had the last lot 2 weeks ago on Monday and has not been out for a walk since then and he is so miserable and now it will be another 2 weeks until this lot of stitches come out and he can go to the park again (it is his favorite place)...

Have been reading up on this stuff all day...

Please keep your fingers crossed for us...

Thanks again

Jodie

Hi Jodie,.

Don't give up.

My 9 year old schnauzer had a very large Grade 2 mast cell tumour removed in September, and he had subsequent chemo for a couple of weeks after surgery. My vet also recommended ultrasounding all organs before surgery, to ensure there was no cancer elsewhere. All went well, the chemo did not affect him at all and he is doing very well. He is completely back to normal and running in the park etc. Best of luck for Olliedog.

Boy Jodie you and Ollie sure have had a rough time of it!

Be realistic about the diagnosis but don't lose hope, many cancers are treatable with conventional and/or natural therapies. There have been a number of threads on the subject. I hope everything turns out fine :thumbsup:

Just to let you know my girl Lucinda is a 39 month survivor of NCT grade 3 no clean margins. Initially was advised to take her home for a few days to say goodbye..but her lovliness is still here still feisty and enjoying life.

Lucinda is holistically treated and has been since three months post diagnosis.

I have conferance proceedings from this year on the latest MCT stuff..will email if you would like it.

Cheers and the very best of luck to Ollie.

Thanks all...

dogbesotted, I would very mcuh appreciate any information that you can supply... Hamish (vet) is great and has given me some info and I have researched on the internet but it is the same info over and over again...

To hear from people who have pooches that have had this and survived or gone to the bridge is great...

We have all our fingers crossed today for him.. I dropped him off this morning at 8am with his blanket... Must say he was not very happy about it - quite vocal in fact...

Thanks again, will update when he comes home and when we have more information...

Jodie

He is home... Looks like half of his rump on the right side is gone...

The vet is confident that he got all the tumour :whiteflag:

And all we have to wait for is the all clear on the lymph node biopsy...

Typical stafford, acts like nothing has happened... I will have to put his lead on and tie him up so he stops walking around...

Cheers

Jodie

Glad Ollie is home.

It can be scary when they come back from MCT surgery. Lucinda seemed to have half her chest missing. I was so shocked and appalled, and felt I had made a dreadfull mistake.

The art with MCT is to get the best margins possible and that many vets are too conservative with the surgery. Lucinda was scheduled for a second attempt to get clean margins but was too ill....for which I ma gratefull as I do not think she would have survived that.

You may like to add some of the following supps:

vit C ( with bioflavinoids) to bowel tolerance

salmon oil..approx 2000mg daily

He seems fine but a little depressed as it has been 2 weeks since he has had a walk in the park...

I might ask the vet next week if I can take him to a quiet area and let him have a walk... He always seems sad when he does not get his daily walk...

Jodie