Ollie Dog - Mast Cell Tumour

Staffyluv

or you can make one using water crystals..let me know if you would like the directions. Some of the others I feel are better in that they are not damp. I used home made ones for Lucinda and made them extra cool by placing in the freezer for about 1/5 hour.

Just wondering where you get the water retaining crystals from and if they are safe to use? Someone posted awhile ago with directions and suggested getting them from a garden centre but I found that they all contained slow release fertilizer and surely therefore would be unsafe to use?

If yours are non toxic I'd really like to know where you got them from so I can get some! Both my guys have really been struggling in the hot weather :laugh:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

We have had another set back this week - both red and white blood cell counts were low... :laugh:

He is really tired all the time now... We go for a walk of a morning for about 15-20 minutes and another in the afternoon (sometimes)... It takes us that long to walk about 750m... Each walk is started with gusto and by the half way mark, he has slowed down...

He has also put on 5 kg since he was diagnosed with mast cell... Poor bugger looks like a pot belly pig somedays, his tummy is so round... The vet wants me to reduce his food even further... He is only having 1.5 cups of HSD-UD, 1/4 cup BBQ chicken (to take his tablets with) and 2 ice cubes of frozen veges (usually carrot and zucchini)... So we are dropping the dry food to 1 cup...

But he still loves his food and sleeps on the big bed (when we lift him up)... He loves driving in the car (when we lift him in)... He still loves to play with the kids, not so much with the toys this week...

I did manage to get one of those cool mats and he loves it...

Jodie

Jodie,

It is the macrolone that is giving Ollie the pot belly and also possibly making him tired. What are his liver values like? Macrolone makes then thirsty, and impossibly hungry ( Lucinda actually gulped down a live day old chick when she was on macrolone- I dont who was more shicked Lucinda or me! )

side effect of pred/ macrolone:

"" Adverse effects include increased thirst and appetite, panting, vomiting, restlessness and diarrhea.

Some animals may develop stomach ulcers from prednisone use.

Long-term use of prednisone may result in loss of hair coat, weakening of the muscles, liver impairment and behavioral changes.""

I would have a long talk with your holistic vet, check out the edverse effect of all the meds he is taking as well. Often the side effect of the drug they are getting can be misinterpreted as being due to the MCT but it is not.

Lucinda was taken off pred after 2.5 month becaus her sustem was not coping with it.

have pm'd you my phone number if you would like to talk.

Please give dear Ollie lots of hugs from me.

Helen

Hi Helen,

Ollie will finish with the Macrolene in 8 days... I knew about the side effects of the macrolene, our holistic vet has Ollie's chemo protocols and she is working with it, to make sure that he gets all the holistic remedies that he needs... I really have great faith in his vets (the oncologist, traditional and holistic vets), they really do take great care of Ollie and me...

The vet is still going ahead with chemo this week, he just wants to wait until Friday and do another blood test...

Having to delay the chemo every few weeks just drags it out longer... The frustration of wanting it over is terrible... The vet said once this course is finished, we then wait to see if any more tumours grow... So far we have not had any more lumps of any type show up... That has to be a good thing...

Hugs back to you and Lucinda, I hope she is well... Once again, many thanks for your wonderful support (and all the other DOLers)...

Jodie

Hey Jodie :love:

Just catching up after some time away from the computer.

I'm so pleased to read that you got a cooling mat and that Ollie loves it. It sounds like he's just going to keep on going up and down until his time comes, and you'll be with him for every bump on that ride. Hang in there. :rofl: