Glossy Coat

jet

Diet comes from within and personally (and IMHO) ditching the Science Diet in favour of something else would probably be your best bet.

If you don't want to do that, adding things like sardines, eggs, fish oil capsules (omega 3) and other fresh foods such as fresh raw meaty bones (eg lamb necks, chicken wings or frames, beef brisket bones and so on) on a regular basis will likely help.

I agree with espinay in theory although the only thing I add to my dogs dry food is an egg (still in shell) or sometimes some rice/leftover vegies from dinner. + raw bones sometimes of course. They have always had nice shiny coats but I heard the egg was good for them so now they get that as a treat :rofl:

The shiniest coat ive seen on a dog belonged to a Mini Foxie who was fed on dry food at night,

but went hunting all day on his proporty or with the guns and men

This went on ten eyars before he grew too slow and his coat isnt as glossythese dysa t 13

--he popped up rabbits and ate them whole, sniffed out rats ditto

and ate eggs out of bird's nests and from the chooks

when he was usually rewarded for rounding up the hens by getting one or two eggs

Spoke volumes for what food suited him best :rofl::laugh:

I feed both mine the same, Kaos looks like i got a bottle of oil and shined her up - People always comment on how silky she looks - Atlas on the other hand - I give him sunflower oil as well as megaderm (Sp?) - It is slowly starting to look a bit shiney, but i dont think he will ever match Kaos!!

They both get an egg once a week and fish sometimes

Now, how can i get MY hair as shiney as Kaos? I am NOT eating dog food and raw eggs :rofl:

A whole raw egg is like yin and yang, in perfect balance. So long as you feed the whole egg rather than just the white you should be fine. Too much high quality protein will cause a dull coat and possibly dandruff, as will too little.

Be careful about egg, the yolk can be given raw or cook but the white should be cook because egg white contain avidin witch work against the biotin that is contain in the yolk. :rofl:

http://www.mercola.com/2005/feb/9/raw_eggs.htm

Sorry, but this is a fallacy, there is more than enough biotin in egg yolk to counteract the avidin found in the white, you would have to feed your dogs a lot of raw eggs before you'd see any ill effects. An egg is a complete package and is best fed raw, a couple of raw eggs a week won't do your dog any harm whatsoever.

Speaking of eggs...apparently the maximum amount of eggs you should feed is 3-4 eggs a week?

@TB: OT but...apparently brushing olive oil through your hair once a week can make your hair glow. I haven't tried that yet. Or washing with honey. Haven't tried that yet either!

do you wash it out??

A guy at work had olive oil in his hair every day!! It looks sooo yuck1!!

Well I heard that celery was the secret ingrdient to a good coat.

My dogs coat seems self-cleaning - people are always commenting and saying I must have 'just bathed her'. Just bathed her? LOL She only gets bath when she stinks!

She;s fed cooked veg (with celery) and raw meat. She shines in the sun and her white bits always look, well, white.