Smelly!

Hi! We have been having our pup professionally bathed every 2 weeks but we are finding that after 2 days he is so smelly again, a real 'doggy' smell. If he gets wet outside then we both towel dry and blow dry him, we have even brought some doggy perfume which works until he gets damp again. We were thinking of getting him bathed weekly but was worried if this was bad for him. Any advice would be great!

Hi. Perhaps you need to look at his diet?

I am also a believer in the more you wash the dog the smellier they get. If you could last the distance, I would try washing your dog alot less frequently and you should find that he does not get quite so smelly in such a short time frame. Although - your problem as it stands sounds as though it is more a health issue rather than simply a smelly dog perhaps.

I would find out which sort of shampoo your groomer is using. Research some shampoos - buy your own and leave it at the groomers for when they wash the dog. A soap free one is best, I prefer Aloveen oatmeal shampoo.

In between baths try simply wiping your dog down with a damp towel and then give him a good brush. There is also a good Aloveen Leave in conditioner which smells delicious which I use as a deoderisor in between wash days.

Check your dogs ears, breath and between the pads of his paws to make sure there is no smell coming directly from there and/or a fungal infection which can get very stinky.

I used to wash my Saint weekly and have now managed to stretch it out to every three weeks until she smells. She is very much an indoor dog so I am fussy about her smelling. :laugh:

There is probably something systemic going on with your dog i.e. skin infection, allergies to food or outside stuff.

I would make an appt with your Vet when he's at his smelliest...that would be your first point of call.

You can look at diet first off- what are you feeding him, how old and what breed is he?

My dogs don't smell, and hardly ever get bathed, they are on premium quality complete and balanced foods though.

Cheers,

Mel.

Edited by StaffordsRule

Also...what kinda of coat had your dog got? it might also be a matter making sure any dead coat is removed as that can make your dog smell.

Also perhaps a change of diet is in order as that can be another reason if your dog is sensative or such to something in what he is eating.

Also check the bedding...he might be nice and clean then go roll in the nice doggy stinky bedding to get his smell back :laugh:

Charlie is a 13 week old Cocker Spaniel. We feed him Hills Science Diet as this seems to suit his tum. There is no odour from his mouth, ears or paws as we check him daily (i'm paranoid about tics). I also brush him daily too. I will ask the groomer what shampoo she uses as hes due for a wash in the morning and yes because he is a house dog primarily its important he smells as sweet as possible. Thanks for the advice! I have taken it on board

I know you said he was an indoor dog, but he is getting wet, so must be outside some of the time.

Is there a chance he is going out and rolling in something?

A lot of dogs will do this as soon as possible after a wash. The more the washes.....

Mine also has a skin infection which makes her smell and aslo makes her go out and roll in smelly stuff - must itch or something. Vet recommended Pyohex shampoo which does control the problem. Might be worth a try.

cheers

i too would be going the way of daily brushing, and less baths.

Also maybe another vet opinion,as diet or some sort of health issue can cause the problem.

has he had his anal glands checked?

I know he's young, but..if they are leaking , even a little, the smell gets rapidly transferred along his coat.......

hope he is sweeter smelling soon :laugh:

IMO there is something your dog is either ingesting or getting into that doesn't agree with his system. Diet plays a big part in whether a dog smells or not. My dogs don't smell. They're bathed when their coats are dirty (Ruby is the dirtiest and I bath her monthly at most); Molly has only recently arrived and I've just bathed her; Lilly is bathed twice a year or so.

If this were my dog, I'd be getting a second opinion about the smell factor AND the diet you feed. HSD is garbage IMO. You can find much better kibbles if you plan to continue feeding this type of food. Perhaps visit some websites that discuss processed pet foods and do some serious research?

I hope this helps. :)

I've not owned a Cocker, but have had Springer and I've known and trained with a bunch of spaniels. The only time these dogs smelled is (a) the rolled in something or (b) they had a yeast infection in their ears. Spaniel ears are very prone to yeast infections, so stick your nose in the ear and have a whiff, it's infected you'll know!!

If it's not (a) or (b) then there is something funny going on. I almost never bath my dogs (they just wash themselves when swimming in the dam/river) and they come into the house every evening, I have a sensitive nose and believe me I'd know if any of them stank (the occasional fart not withstanding :D )

Believe I'd watch where he goes and what he does when you let him outside. I'd also do as LM suggests and try switching food, not saying I've anything against Hills, it's just I'd try Euk and see if it makes a difference.

Most vets "recommend" HSD in part b/c they are trained with it, they sell it (and have a vested interest in sales) and they don't educate themselves well enough about canine nutrition. Nutrition is only a very tiny part of the degree in vet science, yet poor nutrition results in so many causes of ill-health that IMO it should attract much more study in the undergrad years.

There are many "better" processed foods out there. You just have to do your research if you're so inclined. I feed using a whole, raw foods philosophy, and while you don't have to go that far if you don't feel able, you can feed much higher quality foods than HSD.

If you were to visit the establishments that manufacture these foods, and smell the stink, see the animals before and after slaughter, you would understand that many processed pet foods should not be sold at all. The same can be said for many of the "pet mince" products that your grocery shop and butcher sell. The quality of the ingredients (meat, muscle, bone, offal, etc) is too poor to offer optimum nutrition to your dog.

A dog might do OK on such a diet, and some dogs seem to do fine. But then again, so many dogs today suffer from bad teeth, gum disease, and develop diabetes, cancer and bad joints...as do people fed on a diet high in processed and preservative-laden foods.

If you want to try to provide optimum nutrition, feed using a raw, whole foods philosophy, or at least look for a genuinely super premium processed food. Most of them are difficult to find in this country but some suppliers are finally importing the best of them b/c customers are asking. :(

I hope this helps. :D

For a quick fix while you figure out the real problem, you can probably dry shampoo him if the smell gets really bad. I've been told to rub baking soda into the dog's fur and then brush it off; apparently it neutralises doggy odours.

I think the food issue should be considered because my pup started to smell on certain dry foods. I've changed foods twice and I've found that his smell changed depending on the type of food. (Still off puttingly smelly, but different somehow which didn't help) :thumbsup:

I'd probably listen to those telling you to change the food and see what happens. And maybe stay away from foods with a high cereal content, my pup absolutely stinks on those.