Dogs And Bike Riding

I haven't used either of them. My OH does all the bike riding with the dogs and doesn't want one. He says he's happy enough holding onto the lead while riding. I don't ride with the dogs because I've fallen off twice (once with each dog) when the dog has suddenly veered to one side and that's put me off.

I uas the Walky Dog attachment and swear by it :thumbsup:

nickyp - definately worth convincing you and OH to buy one as if the dogs pulls the spring takes most of the strain - even when my dog has been pulling really hard (when I first started using it - at other animals to play :thumbsup: ) I've never been pulled over at all just feel like a little tug.

post-9-1133756227.jpg

I did it slowly at first with my girl to let her get used to the bike and that I wasn't going to run over her :thumbsup: They do catch on quickly.

Teaching steady, stop and leave it is also helpful as well as have good brakes :thumbsup:

Jokes aside it doesn't take them long to get used to it and learn to follow the bike

Indiana (brown dog below) is fine. She just lopes along and keeps an even pace with the bike.

Emmylou (in my avatar) is a speed demon though. My OH has clocked her at 26kmh on his bike computer. She's quite strong and tows the bike if he doesn't keep up with her. He's concerned about her pulling too much on a Walky Dog/Springer.

We actually ended up selling my bike because we only bought it so we could take the dogs out on rides and, after the 2 falls, I wouldn't try again.

The best thing about the walky dog is that it's attached to your bike (under the seat) therefore your dog has the full weight of the bike and the rider - they learn that pulling gets them no where - where as a dog on just a lead only has to pull moderately and it can destabilise the rider and bike.

I'm sorry you lost your confidence nickyp, I can tell you now my girl at the start I never would have even tried to bikeride her holding the lead as she definately would have caused an accident and I, like you would have lost my confidence - she was just too strong and too eager to pull but now she will happily and nicely gait alongside the bike to the point where I will be entering her in the ET trial next year (where you can't use any attachments)

I run my 2 dalmatians with a bike. I have a double ended lead, clips both ends, that I loop around the bike's frame. They do pull a little when we start off, but within 100m or so settle down to trot beside the front wheel. I guess being bred to trot beside horse and carriages it is quite natural for dallys to do this. I like the idea of having the dogs run further back beside the seat rather than the front wheel, never had a problem but it would seem safer.

Looked at the site and it said that for 2 dogs to run them on either side ie a walky dog on left and right hand sides. Has any one used a brace with only 1 walky dog ie both dogs on the 1 side? I really think I may have to invest in one of these. Good topic :thumbsup:

Just as an interest has anyone seen the Regal Mini Sulky site? That looks awesome for running dogs.

Bryan

Edited cos I still can spell or type

Edited by horus

I might give it a try in the new year (planning to do lots more doggy things next year).

Emmylou has mellowed and matured a bit and with the extra training I'm planning to do, I'm hoping she'll get easier to handle for these sorts of things.

ETA - I just showed OH this thread and mentioned that a Walky Dog might be a good idea. He agreed with me! :thumbsup: Every other time I've mentioned it he's insisted that it wouldn't work with Emmylou. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by nickyp

I would like to compete in Endurance Trials in Sept. 06 and this looks like just what I need.

I have a bike but havent tried riding with Flynn (SmithfieldXBorder Collie) as yet.

He loves to run and it takes a lot to tire him out so I am looking foward to it.

Netti

No she's on my left when riding if you have a look the handlebars are facing the camera, so she's on the curb side.

Best of luck for the ET Netti - I'm sure it's going to be fun (although I'm trying to drag someone so we can ride roughly half each :thumbsup: - otherwise I'm going to be stuffed !) Just remember although you can use this attachment for training you can't actually use it in the trial.

Hey Netti - hi to another Tasmanian. Just be aware that under Tasmanian law you are not allowed to ride a bike with a dog on public roads. :rofl: Which makes training for ET pretty difficult. I think you're OK riding with the dog on bike OK trails in places like State forest reserves, or parks where dogs and bikes are allowed.

Barb

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the info, I didnt know that.

I might contact the ET people again as I am sure the event is held near Longford. I wonder how they get around it.

Frequently I see people on their bikes with dogs on leads so I wonder who much it is Policed.

What are the laws in other states.

Cheers Netti