Urine Killing Grass

hannos

Bi-Carb of soda - is a lot cheaper than the rocks and you know what's in it.

Works very well. As a bonus it helps to neutralise the urine and therefore is an aid in preventing lactic acid build up and cramps in a "running" greyhound.

Annie

Come to think of it, we haven't had grass rings since we changed to BARF.

She has ACV, juiced carrot, yoghurt in her BARF mix - so any one, or a combination of those plus the other stuff we add, seems have have had some result!

Guess it depends on what else is being fed, the dog's individual metabolism, the strength of the urine etc.

cheers

Kal kills so much grass with her urine I'm surprised the fire brigade haven't enlisted her instead of backburning in preparation for the summer season!!! :thumbsup:

I'm not comfortable with some of the food substances suggested to reduce urine burn .... for fear of upsetting the individual dog's normal digestive function. Carrots and the like, I don't have too much issue with though, if it works. (Kal already gets carrot grated in her food.) I can't give Kal much else as she's incredibly sensitive to different additives.

There's just one less bit of lawn I have to mow, I guess. :)

Edited by Erny

On reading up on this topic i found that bitches have a high level of nitrogen in there urine then dogs. it is the nitrogen thats kills the grass. A cheap way to stop to this from happening is to get your dog to drink more water or actually horse the area is which they unrinate :thumbsup:

....or actually horse the area is which they unrinate :D

:thumbsup: ... that's a rather extreme measure! :)

I know what you mean, though. I've tried to do that, but you need to hose down each time very shortly after urination has occurred. A trifle difficult if you're not around to do so each time.

• 1 month later...
Bi-Carb of soda - is a lot cheaper than the rocks and you know what's in it.

Works very well. As a bonus it helps to neutralise the urine and therefore is an aid in preventing lactic acid build up and cramps in a "running" greyhound.

Annie

HOw much bi-carb do you add to the water anniek??

My staffy has successfully killed a large patch of grass and no amount of watering is bringing it back :confused:

Does it go on weight? She is 20kgs!

• 3 months later...

from reading above posts dog rocks are meant to work due to them containing zeolite, which absorbs nitrogen

you can buy pure zeolite from gardening or pond places

it can be added to ponds to reduce ammonia levels

so it should be safe to add to dog water bowls

Edited by larry

Well I feed my dogs yoghurt and ACV in their diets and it doesn't work! BUT...I figured if you can't beat them - out smart them! I have 2 milk crates that I move around the back yard every day. My male dog always chooses to "mark" them so due to the fact that they are moved daily he never pees in the same spot twice and hence the burning is reduced! Aaah the things we do!

Dani

Yes - really peculiar but the rocks work for us. We use to have HUGE patches on our lawn but reduced dramatically after these magical rocks. What the goony googoo is in them rocks? And why do we have to change them 2-3 months? What's with that? I thought rocks were rocks. hmmm... ours is not to question why... :)

Goony GooGoo, well I ddon't know about goony googoo, but I do know they are a rock mined in SA or maybe that is WA (anyways) the have a paramagnetic quality to them. The lady that owns the company has her dogs tested on a regular basis to ensure there are no ill effects. She trialled the rocks on her own dogs for 3 years before going to market with them.

The key to making them work is to have them in every water bowl, so inside and outside bowls as one bowl with and one without will not acheive the results promised. Why change them every 3 months - don't know -- maybe to sell more !! hehe.

Cheers

Leigh K