Puppy Barking

Hi all,

I am hoping someone has some helpul suggestions for me. My cav, Mabel, recently passed away and I have another 3 year lod cav, Dublin too. I recently got a new pup (8 months old). He is perfect in all ways bar one. I have a reserve at the back of my house used mainly for dog walking. Jo-Jo barks as people go past, which I have no problem with. However after the people have gone by, Jo-Jo continues to bark. When I call him he stops and comes immediately into the house. However this is useless when I am not home. The dog walkers are usually out from 7:30ish in the morn till about 9 and from about 4 till 7 in the evening. Jo-Jo does not bark at other times, or at other dogs when we are walking, or at visitors to the home etc. Only at people as the walk past. If he stopped after they left I would not worry, but sometimes he barks for 10 minutes without a break. My other dog, Dublin, is not a barker. One of my neighbours is on my back about it. Any ideas as to what I can do to encoutrage him to stop barking after the pedestrians are gone when I am not home. He has plenty to occupy him so boredom isn't the issue.

Yes wyvernblade, he can see them. The fence is a cyclone mesh fence. I was wondering about lining the fence with shade cloth, but thought he would still sense that people were there. The fence is about 4 and a half to five feet high.

Edited by Dublin

I would block off the fence so that he can't see the people and they can't see him. There is no way that I would leave my dogs in an area abutting a public reserve with only a cyclone fence in between them and any weirdo that might walk past. Anything might happen when you're not home, I wouldn't be allowing the dogs anywhere near that fence.

I had the same with a Border Collie i used to own. He actually wore a path from running up and down the same spot along the fence barking. We tried everything to stop him, but nothing worked, so he spent most of his time inside. When we eventually moved to another house with high wooden fences (he could not see through), he was fine!

I am glad to hear the shade cloth idea has worked for other people. i was wondering if that might work, or whether Jo-Jo would still sense that people were there.

BTW My gate does have a lock on it. I live in a quiet community. I know most of the people who walk their dogs. They walk past everyday, have been doing so for the 4 years I have owned the house. Not every one is untrustworthy you know. Jeez I am not stupid you guys. I have had and still have other dogs. I came here for help, not criticism. I don't make judgements about others' situations when advice is asked for.

Block the view definitely, it eliminated the stimulus.

I have a dodgy paling fence at the back and as the gaps got bigger, the dogs could see more of the neighbours and barked at them a bit more often (and it's an embassy back there.) I wanted to strengthen the fence and block their view so I got a long roll of fencing mesh wire and a whole lot of weed mat. I wrapped the weed mat over the wire so it hung neatly on the wire and then nailed all the wire mesh to the wooden fence.

Weed mat is about 60c a metre and it is about 180cm wide. I hung it over 90cm fencing wire so the wire was sandwiched in between.

The barking has decreased alot and the fence looks neater, even if it is black weedmat. Hanging it on something and then nailing that up makes it stronger too. I think that just nailing the weedmat (or shade cloth) alone might mean it rips eventually where it attaches. You've got cyclone fencing so how about just stringing a single wire along the fence and hanging the weedmat over the wire. Use some plastic cable ties to secure it all to the fence.

Good luck

Jo

"There is no way that I would leave my dogs in an area abutting a public reserve with only a cyclone fence in between them and any weirdo that might walk past. Anything might happen when you're not home, I wouldn't be allowing the dogs anywhere near that fence. " :thumbsup:

I call that criticism, Anne. I am grateful for the helpful suggestions everyone.

Edited by Dublin

Oh Dublin for goodness' sake - it's stating an opinion what Anne would/would not do. You really need to settle and have a nap or something (after you've covered your fence)......

Gees - where is all the angst and hostility coming from on this forum today?????? :thumbsup::cheer:

I would have thought shadecloth or weed mat would be too 'seethrough'

I think that it would have been too see through in a single layer. I used weedmat folded in half with the chicken wire mesh in between and it is completely opaque, nothing to see through. Weedmat has a tighter weave than shadecloth as well.

Dublin:

BTW My gate does have a lock on it. I live in a quiet community. I know most of the people who walk their dogs. They walk past everyday, have been doing so for the 4 years I have owned the house. Not every one is untrustworthy you know. Jeez I am not stupid you guys. I have had and still have other dogs. I came here for help, not criticism. I don't make judgements about others' situations when advice is asked for.

None of that information was included in your first post Dublin... what would you prefer: experienced people to say nothing when they perceive your dog may be at risk or should they stick to the letter of your question?

Geeze I do get tired of people who jump down the throats of those who are actually trying to be helpful.

Cavs would have to be one of the most popular breeds with puppy millers so here's some unsolicited advice: if your new pup is not desexed, I suggest you attend to that as soon as possible.

I am not judging your experience as a dog owner - I'm trying to prevent your new dog from being nicked.

weedmat thats it LOL..couldn't think of the name of it. When we walk my son to school with the dogs, there is a house with a tiny little Chi X and a bewwwwdifullllllllllllll Dane.

He would always go off his nut when anyone walked past, not just other doggies. So would the Chi. The littler tacker would always start him off

However now they have that weedmat that you spoke of on the gate and it works wonders. He hardly barks at all now cause he can't see whats going on. Only once I've seen him bark and his paws reached the top of the fence only and his nose was just sticking up :thumbsup: It looked so funny. But yeah anyways sorry to ramble. I'd block the view definately. Can't see it? Can't bark at it.

Well in most cases anyways :mad

Good luck