Godzy Wheezing And Coughing.

WhiteLight

Just want you advice folks.

Every now and then in the last few days Godzy would give a cough like he had something in his throat had a look could not see a thing. He was eating and drinking normally still went on walks.

Yesterday when I came home he started the coughing, also sneezing and even when he is sleeping you can see his chest "spasm" two or three times.

At first I thought it was Allergies, then Asthma then later a seed in his nasal passage would this cause this type of reaction.

This morning when we went to walk he started coughing then a few times till we got into the walk routine then he has slight coughs.

When we got home he was excited as usual to have his two pieces of kibble then curled up to go to sleep.

I do have an appointment with the vet for Saturday do you think I should try to make one for today? When I left it had settled down .

It looks likely it is stronger in the morning and evenings.

I even vacuumed the house at midnight just in case it was the dust and shut of my mozzie sapper.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Val

ETA he had a check up a few weeks ago and is his ideal weight now and also has a very good heart beat and lungs.

Edited by L.B.

I just rang the Vets and his vet is not in today.

The vet on call suggests it may be a good idea as it sound like URTI so he will be going this afternoon.

I will still keep the Saturday appointment as Gidget was going and just in case Godzy still needs to go as well. I have group bookings :mad all 3 usually go in at the same time.

Well BlindChi I am worried the vet said his nose was blocked but his chest was clear and gave him antibiotics. However there has been no improvement.

He sneezes a lot and coughs like he has something stuck in his throat it is now a week so thank god it is not a tick which was my first fear.

I will be going to the vets Saturday morning as the vet I really have faith in will be there.

He seems to be worse in the morning and evenings, though I notice when I gave him 1/2 prednil for his itch he seemed better for a few hours.

I am glad I am going tomorrow I am not sure my mastercard can afford a visit to the pets emergency centre. :p

Mind you he is eating and drinking as normal not as frisky but is not distressed I suppose a blocked nose will not help.

We will see what he says tomorrow.

I would have thought maybe an allergy or something stuck up his nose too.

How baffling! Mick coughs & sneezes a bit when his heart is bothering him & he gets fluid in his lungs (he then has to go on diuretics) but if Godzy's heart is fine, it's obviously not that. I really hope the good vet can come up with something for you.

Thank you. :p

He is my heart dog, when I got him no one could touch him he hid under the bed for 2 months had to be muzzled when visiting the vets, was grosssly overweight and had distressing skin conditions.

Its taken years but he is now the dog he is meant to be. So I worry more about him though I love them all.

Thank you. :p

He is my heart dog, when I got him no one could touch him he hid under the bed for 2 months had to be muzzled when visiting the vets, was grosssly overweight and had distressing skin conditions.

Its taken years but he is now the dog he is meant to be. So I worry more about him though I love them all.

I know how you feel, I'm the same with Mick. Little bugger has been with me for so long & been through so much physical adversity but he never ceases to amaze me with his tough little trooper attitude!

I'm on leave as of this afternoon but I'll be thinking of Godzy tomorrow & I'm sure he'll be absolutely fine :p

• 3 weeks later...

Had to take him again. :)

They are talking about x-rays to see if there is anything lodged, or even a fungal infection it is very invasive and it is was a last option.

Saturday night I had a thought and put lots of eye drops in his eyes took him out and you should have seen him sneeze, the poor bugger.

And the stuff that came out :thumbsup: of his left nostril

However he seems to be much better and did not wake up snorting last night trying to breath.

So fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...

I am really getting worried now.

It got better then it came back again but not badly.

He would sneeze till a spaghetti like white string would come out of his left nostril, then last week it came back with a vengance I though it was still ok as only white mucus was coming out of his left notril and I made an appointment for last Saturday and then it stopped completely so I cancelled.

Last Tuesday it started with a vengenace again so back to the vet , it turns out white mucus is pus :).

This morning his nasal cavaties were flushed out and the bad news is that nothing was found.

So it could be a fungal infection, a seed that is inbedded in the nasal cavity or a growth. :)

It was only till I got back here that I realised it started 3 months ago not I feel like a lousy owner.

After the antibiotics are finished and if it returns xrays and scans will be done.

I also made them remove a broken tooth also on the same side (the left) as I wondered if this could have something to do with it as well. When I had an abcess eating my jaw believe me everything was happening.

Has anyone had something similar?

At present in the office microwave I am cooking him a nice boned chicken his favourite.

Bugger his diet I will let him enjoy himself.

ML where are you and you fonts of wisdom?

Awe LB, I didn't realise this was a post from a while back and was going to say sounded like a bad bout of kennel cough.

Sounds weird that it is reoccuring and they can't find anything, I'm sure it will be something as simple as a grass seed embedded somewhere it shouldn't be, don't worry too much sweetheart :)

Love

Riles

Have you checked his tonsils, recurring tonsillitis can cause these sorts of symptoms? Quite often the tonsils look normal when you look down the throat, but they're actually badly pitted and infected back where you can't see. If they're enlarged at all it's worth having them checked out and if they're bad have them removed.

Thank you Miranda I will mention that as well all suggestions gladly accepted.

Wouldn't this give him a bad breath.

Oh also his glands on the left side are slightly swollen that could fit in with tonsillitis.

:) I didn't realise that dogs had tonsils as well. :):)

I've had three dogs that have had to have their tonsils removed, antibiotics will clear up the symptoms temporarily but it flares up again a few weeks or months later. Some vets are reluctant to remove them, don't listen to them, it's a relatively simple operation and other than keeping them on soft foods for 24/48 hours the recovery is rapid and I've never had any complications. All the dogs involved improved out of sight once their tonsils were gone, they were just totally different dogs. Recurrent tonsillitis sets up a low grade infection that can affect the entire system, when they're really bad and don't respond to antibiotics it's best to have them removed.

ETA bad breath is not always present.

Edited by Miranda

Is it possible that he "simply" had/has an abcess in his nose or up somewhere near his sinuses (maybe due to a grass seed or the likes) ? This would explain why things got gradually worse, then after the abcess burst and the puss and foreign object had leaked/been blown out of one single nostril, that he gained some relief for a while and that the vet thus saw nothing lodged up there ?... The abcess may have filled up again and has caused him to go downhill for a second time :)

I didn't see that he's been put on anti-biotics... Am I mistaken :)

This Google search may give you some information LB.

This link in particular seems quite comprehensive.

This from another site:

Sinusitis, which is non-infectious, can be chronic and may be seasonal. Symptoms include bouts of sneezing and thick white or yellowish discharge from the nose. This disease is often caused by allergies or a past bacterial or viral infection. Medical therapy includes antibiotics for bacterial infection and antihistamines for allergies. Sometimes surgical draining of the sinuses is necessary.

Hope that can be of help and we've got everything crossed here that it's something simple.