Worming Products

I have always used exelpet Worming products for my 4 year old, and I have never had a problem with worms.

Recently, I was thinking about how useless their flea products are, and wondered why their worm stuff would be any better.

What does everyone else use?

I'm talking about intestinal worms, she has the heartworm injection.

I avoid supermarket brands of anything to do with dog care, but that's my bias.

In answer to the question, I use Interceptor Spectrum and Frontline Plus. Interceptor covers: heartworm, all intestinal worms including tapeworms. FLP covers fleas, ticks and paralysis ticks. Both products are available at vets and some pet supplies shops, and online.

I would aim for something that your vet carries. It's probably a good idea to have your dog checked for intestinal worms if you think the wormer isn't effective. Such a check shouldn't be very expensive. :)

IMO the brand you mentioned has been superceded many times over by much more effective products. :p

I agree with Fido666, you should not being using the Heartweom injection on a sheltie due to the know Ivermectin Sensitivity due to a mutation of the MDR gene in Collies, Shelties and related breeds( can have fatal repercussions).

Sentinel Spectrum is far safer and Priceless pets online is the cheapest to buy it from

Sentinel Spectrum is far safer and Priceless pets online is the cheapest to buy it from

I take it this product doesnt include any of the mectin family?

I have been using daily heart worm tablets. It can be a pain to remember and fiddly to chop the tablets up but I figured it would be the safest product as it doesnt contain mectin. I looked up Priceless Pets but couldnt find product info (ingredients)

MILBEMYCIN OXIME is a member of the Mectin family & should be avoided by at risk breeds.

OMG, what is safe then? I've been led to believe that Sentinel Spectrum was OK? I was about to order some from Priceless Pets, now I don't know what I should buy :p .

Cheers,

Corine

I was thinking about drontal, but one of the websites I saw yesterday mentioned that it is only effective at killing worms that are in the system at the time of dosage, and that there is no cover for the following months.

It said that meant it was crucial they were wormed on time.

They should be wormed on time anyway, but it put me off a little.

I was thinking about drontal, but one of the websites I saw yesterday mentioned that it is only effective at killing worms that are in the system at the time of dosage, and that there is no cover for the following months.

This is the same situation for all intestinal worming tablets - the frequency of dosing is related to the life cycle of intestinal worms. The situation is the same with heartworm tablets - and in this case it is even more important that the dosing is done on time.

This is the same situation for all intestinal worming tablets - the frequency of dosing is related to the life cycle of intestinal worms. The situation is the same with heartworm tablets - and in this case it is even more important that the dosing is done on time.

All this dog stuff is so confusing, there is always contradictory information.

I've read that it's bad to give a dog worming products if they actually have worms, and that they should only be used as prevention.

That's why I like the heartworm injection, I only have to worry about it the once (a year of course).