Kangaroo Meat

booboo

My SIL feeds her two dogs roo meat - I think partly because it is so lean. When we last visited for a holiday I tried my pooch on it (as that was what the other two were eating) but like your ridgy my dog would not have a bar of it! :rofl:

Back to human grade casserole steak for her! :p

Oh, and my SIL's dog certainly don't have a worm problem! Why do you think they need the 'lean' meat? :rofl:

Occasionally I have fed my dog kangaroo steak, but I only buy from supermarkets [human-grade, and therefore less likely to contain worms].

I remember from a previous thread that a greater problem regarding kangaroo meat is its lean quality. It is a very lean meat and dogs do require some animal fat in their diet.

Yes, my dogs and cats get roo meat and roo tails.

Roo is a very 'gamey' meat and like most 'wild' meats has a stronger flavour than our domestically bred animals. Dogs not used to the flavour may sometimes find it ovrpowering, particularly at first. Sometimes mixing a small amount with beef or some other milder flavoured meat can get them used to it.

Roo is also a very lean meat (again, it has that in common with most 'wild' meats). Great for weight loss, but not good to be fed exclusively without the addition of some kind of fat source eg a fattier meat occasionally such as chicken or lamb and essential fatty acids such as fish oil.

I feed roo tail as part of my raw, whole foods philosophy. No issues except ONCE when travelling. Dreadful tummy upsets the next day after the dogs had roo tail from a local (country) butcher.

But it's given probably once a fortnight...they *love* their roo tail pieces!

BTW - I usually get it at Petbarn. :p

Hydatid cysts are usually found on organs such as the liver and heart. I wouldnt feed the organs of wild caught animals, however personally I dont have an issue with the meat. Liver/heart etc purchased from the supermarket have gone through an inspection process. The cysts are easy to spot for those who know what they are looking for.

If you are concerned about hydatids however, you can always use a worming preparation designed to cover them.

Mine gets roo mince as part of her diet.

Since it is minced and produced in a regulated environment, i don't see any chance of a worm problem. She is wormed regularly anyway.

As for the fat content, I actually include it to reduce the total fat in her diet as she also gets pork trotters, lamb breasts or off cuts and chicken - which means she is getting a good amount of fat, possibly a bit too much, so the roo just brings some balance.

:)

All my dogs get some kangaroo meat in their meals at least once a week.

As long as your dogs get wormed properly, you'll never have a problem with the roo meat. I too, would not feed organs but these are rarely available anyway.

If you buy roo mince which is sold as dog grade rather than human grade, I'd be wary as it is highly likely to have offal/organ content. Just ask the butcher if you wish to feed mince.

Just becasue a meat is lean, does not mean it has NO fat :) I've seen so many dogs with a Xmas gut this year it's not funny!! :)

I feed my dogs kangaroo meat quite often and they love it!

The kangaroo meat that you buy in supermarkets and at the butchers comes from stock that been bred and raised for the meat market. For this reason, worms etc are controlled. However, wild kangaroos are infested with a tonne of worms, so never feed that to your dog lol.

Kangaroo meat IS low in fat, but is VERY rich in protein and Iron. For this reason when dogs are fed it the first few times it can cause terrible stomach upsets. So when introducing dogs to kangaroo meat, do it slowly, over a fort-night or so.

Sonia.

Actually the Kangaroo Meat is harvested from the wild, by licenced shooters who are permitted to harvest a certain number of animals, the meat is then processed at special game meat abattoirs.

Roo meat is very lean, and for chubby dogs who can tolerate it, it is a great food, I don't feed it as a couple of mine react very badly to it. Feeding roo as the only source of meat you need to add a fat of some kind. Fish Oil etc.

Personally I can't stand the smell of it.

the concern is meant to be the hydatids as someone else said, but if you use something like sentinel that does the tapeworm as well you should be fine. the main concern is sourcing it from someone who can't identify the cysts (as someone else has said as well). so if you have a "mate" who goes roo shooting and passes you on some meat make sure you keep up worming for tapeworm. anything bought from a butcher or supermarket or reputable source should have been checked.

I remember a few years back when I was doing my puppy research I came across something that said Alaskan Malamutes should not be fed Kangaroo meat.

Has anyone else heard this?

I've stayed away from it just to be on the safe side, but I can't imagine why a specific breed should not eat a certain type of meat. :laugh:

Malamum...it could be because Roo is a very rich and very very lean meat, and the snow breeds might just not get enough fat out of it to power them up. And if they were on a fair amount of it they'd perhaps not be able to keep their condition up enough?

Also i have been told (so not sure how true it is) that many snow breeds can have sensitivities with red meats or the richer red meats at least.

I feed my 2 with roo mince but I prefer to cook it partially. Sometimes they have it as plain mince, other times it's topped up with 'vegies a la season'. They get fed roo every 2-3 days alternated with dry dog food, chicken wingettes or necks.

They had the ultimate canine BarBQ last week when my 2 friends didn't show up for a barbie (bloody men could have phoned!) I was that ticked off as I'd come home early from work to prepare everything. Not to be disappointed I still fired up the barbie, the dogs had their roo mince cooked on it and helped me with a tossed salad, chicken & garlic sausages and steak.

Wonder what the poor people were doing. :happydance:

Sam