Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pixel

Stafford Fans

25,008 posts in this topic

Another Stafford.

Bull Terriers are robust enough to play with a Stafford but have a different play style, there might be teething issues but it'd probably work out OK. An Amstaff would be in the same boat too.

Labs and Goldens are physically robust enough for a Stafford but also have a different play style and probably wouldn't appreciate a Stafford's idea of fun.

Most of the mastiff breeds prefer a less physical sort of friend.

Jack Russells, Cairns, Scotties other heavier short legged terriers would be suitable after some degree of give and take

Whatever you do, make it the opposite sex!

What dogs do you prefer?

I've had Kelpie and Kelpie x Bully (the latter got along very well with my first Stafford).

Geordie the Toller is fine too as he learned the play style. But I'm also separating when out of the house for the moment as Tilly's still growing and Geordie is nearing 10 years so doesn't want to be pestered constantly. :p

Ozstar   

:hug::kissbetter: SOL, a pet owners worse day, RIP Burty :angel:

Greatdanegirl I think a lot depends on your dog to start with.

Chaos gets along with all dogs and plays to suit the dog he is playing with.

Chaos and Salem are together almost 24/7, the only time they are separated is at feed times (Chaos really likes food and can inhale a huge amount in one breath :D ), they play and sleep together and I have no problems leaving them home together.

But in saying that not all dogs are the same and Chaos really is a sweetheart and Salem worships the ground he walks on :D

Both are desexed.

017_zps872cd94f.jpg

057_zpsd40d0535.jpg

018_zps7e5b87b4.jpg

Leanne

Edited by Ozstar

Rainy   

My guys favorite play pal is the aussie shepherd's a friend owns however they have all grown up together so i don't know how a random aussie would take to the red head coming in full steam to bowl them over :laugh:

second would be the pointers don't know why but out of a crowd if there is no stafford type or aussie she will look for a pointer or a poodle she likes them too

She hate's little in your face dogs but that's more training then breed i guess.

Tiggy   

Jessie(SBT) now has an English Toy Terrier brother and sister. She was too boofy at first, and sometimes still needs to be reminded of the size difference, but they do all get along very well. The ETTs aren't as fragile as they look and they have a lot of spunk. :laugh:

Tiggy   

Oh and Jessie has lost a whole lot of weight since they came along.

hey guys :) sorry if this is off topic but i thought this might be a good place to ask if anyone knows of any good websites/brands to look for dog coats to suit staffies? I have a lot of trouble with sizes since my boy's neck and chest don't match up with the length in the standard sizes that most of the ones I have been looking at seem to have.

ETA: I am looking for zip up coats or jumpers, since they don't seem to leave velco ones on :)

Edited by Lasareina

Vicki makes coats and has Staffords. On the Stafford Club of QLD Facebook page you'll fund a link to her coat page. Lilcracker also make coats and have Staffords...think they're on Fb too

J.H.M   

Jessie(SBT) now has an English Toy Terrier brother and sister. She was too boofy at first, and sometimes still needs to be reminded of the size difference, but they do all get along very well. The ETTs aren't as fragile as they look and they have a lot of spunk. :laugh:

Like these :laugh:

qymebeny.jpg

sudy9eva.jpg

Thanks Rainy ... the Wolfs Den ones look good because of the zipper along the back ... hopefully they wouldn't be able to weasel their way out of that :p

took the pups to the creek a little while ago before it got cold... finally got the photos of the camera. I couldn't resist posting some :o

10485381_10152991174154676_2755391191590426066_n.jpg

10432544_10152991173909676_8615492136317048189_n.jpg

10438316_10152991173629676_1627682141147219668_n.jpg

10455176_10152991174009676_3903166225244272072_n.jpg

lil cracka coats are great, stiles has the polar fleece one atm. Stiles was also bred by lil cracka

thanks for your reply's ill take them all into consideration when we do look for another playmate. il be checking out all rescues as I'm keen to help save a life where we can. i think ill be giving away showing danes and owing them

one other question i did have, does anyone feed advance?? Stiles is currently on royal canin, but supply sort age can be a big issue for me, i work in a pet supply warehouse and have been offered " staff feeding" where our reps pay for our dogs food basically

lil cracka coats are great, stiles has the polar fleece one atm. Stiles was also bred by lil cracka

thanks for your reply's ill take them all into consideration when we do look for another playmate. il be checking out all rescues as I'm keen to help save a life where we can. i think ill be giving away showing danes and owing them

one other question i did have, does anyone feed advance?? Stiles is currently on royal canin, but supply sort age can be a big issue for me, i work in a pet supply warehouse and have been offered " staff feeding" where our reps pay for our dogs food basically

I've fed the turkey and rice advance with success. :)

Not sure if they have a fish based one, now?

J.H.M   

Nice pics

Here is Jess being attacked this morning by some mini dobes

i think stiles needs a new brother or sister to play with and company when were not home. I'm thinking an older dog, from 1 yr on.

what breeds do you have with your staffy's, apart from other staff's of course?

I think I'm about to walk away from great danes, after much heartbreak and hurtful actions from some person's :mad

This might sound like a strange mix but I have a shar pei foster failure and having fostered and been around quite a few SP I've found them to be a good playmate match for my sbt girl. They love zoomies, bitey face, tug, destroying stuffed toys, are strong, confident, intelligent and play just as rough. They go from active to zzz's at the same rate too. Size wise my tang style pei has the same body length and chest width as my sbt and they weigh around the same. Her legs are slightly longer and neck slightly smaller. They can't wear the same harnesses but they do share coats. Pei get quite closely bonded with their humans so I have double the cuddles, one dog under each armpit! I'm very routine orientated with my dogs and I think our pei girl is even more of a stickler with 'the rules' than I am! She does push at the ones she doesn't feel are necessary but for all our sakes we don't let her get away with too much.

SP are not a breed recommended for first time owners but I have been very pleasantly surprised about how well matched they have all been with my sbt girl who can be needy for human attention and get over excited by certain things. A lot of pei just don't care about other dogs so don't see them as competition, which obviously reduces a lot of potential conflict. Our foster failure is even a girl (the majority of our fosters were male) and that does not seem to have been an issue.

You do have to be willing to work around a pei's stubbornness and sometimes think creatively about training and expectations. The amount of calls I've put in to my behaviourist when the SP girl comes up with some new weird habit! And who would've guessed she finds agility equipment effortless! When she can be bothered with it that is! Health wise - we have been incredibly lucky with our pei. She had entropian surgery as a pup (no further issues), has always had a very closely monitored diet and only gets some minor contact allergies which we keep under control with calendula tea rinses and calendula cream if needed. Her ears are also generally good. But being a Tang style rather than the uber wrinkly western style pei helps. Our biggest issue really is keeping her warm in winter as she is a horsecoat. She does grow more fur for winter but it is still not enough to keep her warm without assistance.

Nice pics

Here is Jess being attacked this morning by some mini dobes

That is gorgeous :D ... I watched it at work without sound, and then wanted to watch again at home to see if your Jess makes as much noise as my two. When they play you would assume there is a fight to the death going on with the amount of growling and weirdo vocalising going on haha. Jess seems more peaceful :p