Allergies

Teebs

Dads bulldog has been at the vet AGAIN

He usually gets big red lumps beween his toes this time of year... this year his who front paw is affected - he wont but any weight -

He is on meds fromthe vets and some medical wash - is there anything else i can try?

I have been told that Cider vineger might help??

Poor boy is not happy :laugh:

for sons dog he washes her feet dailyin the evening with cool boiled water which has had some salt added, just a teaspoon. Then dries with her own foot towel. We did put cider vinegar in for a while but didn't make a difference.

My dog has some bad allergy. They don't know what she is allergic to, she has bad rash all over her stomach and scratches so much she bleeds sometimes.

She is now on quaterzone (? spelling) tablets until we find out what she is allergic to.

The allergy test is done by taking blood samples then it gets sent to America for testing, it then takes about 4 weeks to get back results.

post-22-1136451256.jpg

Have you considered homepathic remedies.

Have a look at www.herbal-treatmens.com.au, then find dogs, and use the drop down menu to find "Skin", he invites you to call.

Then www.justgreyhounds.com.au, then greyhound products, then hair analysis.

You can send a sample of hair, and results come back within about 48 hours.

My dogs have been tested for allergies, the toxins from the grasses have got into their systems and the treatment is homepathic, but LOL they run for cover when they see the bottle and eye dropper come out, it does appear to be working

Ollie used to get this sort of thing when they fertilised at the park where we walk... Our vet said to use Malaseb and wash his feet twice a day.. Works great :rolleyes:

Good luck

Jodie

We tried all the above. What worked boots for early morning and evening walks, his feet did not get damp with the wet grass. It has made such a difference, I also add apple cider vinegar to all their drinking water they love it (so does the budgie).

The allergy test is done by taking blood samples then it gets sent to America for testing, it then takes about 4 weeks to get back results.

geez, that sounds like the even more expenisve than the expensive option!!!

Why aren't they just doing intradermal testing and an elemination diet?? Blood testing also has some draw backs too... like it will only show what the dog was reacting to at the time the blood was taken: if there is something they are not reacting to they may have an undiscovered allergy from the test...

Terror: Until you know what is making the dog allergic you can only treat the symptoms... you need to find out what is causing the allergy.

Dan

Zayda beat me to it - I've been off in la-la land lately :rolleyes:

Antibiotics and medicated wash will just treat the symptoms that showing at this time, but don't address the actual cause of the problem - which is likely to be an underlying allergy. I would assume that if there was one single inflamed lump that the vet has ruled out the possibility of there being a foreign body in there somewhere?

If the dog is an inside dog that goes outside, then wiping him down with a damp towel, including feet, when he comes inside can help by removing a great deal of the surface allergens from the environments.

If it is a recurring seasonal problem and you don't think it is well controlled then speak to your vet about a referral to a veterinary dermatologist for intradermal skin testing. It can be an expensive exercise, but you are more likely to get a workable solution. The IgE blood tests aren't as useful as the skin testing, however are often used as an alternative to referral by private practitioners. If there is the option for referral though, that is what I'd do.

I have 2 dogs with skin problems. I spent 100s on my own foxie cross last year trying to get to the bottom of it without any success. We tried cortisone, Malaseb baths, natural remedies (inc drops and herbs) without any luck. He is very active and his legs/paws get red raw very easily. One vet kept insisting it was Wandering Jew but I could never find any. I've noticed his legs are worse after a run on grass (some parks worse than others) and really bad if grass is damp so I have stopped taking him in the early mornings or after rain.

The other one is totally different, an old Maltese that I have been fostering for nearly 2 weeks. She has red skin all over and initially some infections so has been on cortisone and antibiotics since I got her. Itchy red spots seem to come up each day so I am putting natural creams on them to soothe and I've now been given natural therapy drops by a friend. I am also feeding her on a natural diet but won't expect to see any results for a month or so.

Just as the foxie was originally my foster whom nobody wanted due to obvious skin problems so I expect this old girl will end her days with me, she also has cataracts and ear problems. :rolleyes:

I shouldn't have kept saying I didn't like Maltese!!!

My staffy gets those red lumps in between his paws l think they are coming from the weeds or thorns if walking in the park or on nature strips . The lumps are raised and have a tiny head on them that can burst and bleed. l have seen so many Vets for the problem but l dont seem to get any answers.Now l wait to see if they come to a head and if they go away by themselves. I wipe the apple cider vingear on the red lumps.

I saw a vet last week for the redness inbetween his paws she said to try Daktarin a powder from the chemist a powder for antifungal treatment instead of the Malaseb. This could be too strong .She said try to keep the paws dry. l couldnt find the powder so l got the spray which gives a white powder coat once sprayed. Toby hates it and it smells and it doesnt seem to be working.

lt would be a shame but l think dog booties will help his feet.

My staffy gets those red lumps in between his paws l think they are coming from the weeds or thorns if walking in the park or on nature strips . The lumps are raised and have a tiny head on them that can burst and bleed.

Are you sure that your dog isn't picking up grass seeds? If any of my dogs develop a red lump between the toes it is always a grass seed which has embedded itself in the skin. After a while the seed will usually work its way out and in the process the lump will burst and bleed. In the grass seed season I check my dogs' feet for seeds on a daily basis.

Our vet said to use Malaseb and wash his feet twice a day.. Works great 

do you use malaseb twice a day or just wash feet in water twice a day?

I use the Malaseb to wash his feet twice a day, if I notice them itchy... I use the smallest amount in a small bowl... Stopped him licking his itchy feet after a coupld of washes... I just found this worked well for us as he only got itchy feet when they put down the fertiliser at the park...

Cheers

Jodie

Also try 100% aloe vera gel applied on the sore spots, say 3 times a day.

Steve has said skin allergies are linked to the immune system, so that has to be tackled too or the symptoms won't disappear.

So...100% aloe vera juice in the diet, twice a day - a good splash. And remove chemicals from the diet - feed just chicken wings for the duration in case it's a food allergy. Do a search on aloe vera juice, there's heaps of info. I swear by it after Keg's tummy allergy went away within about a week of using the aloe juice.

Good luck!

I'm off to buy aloe vera juice - I'll try anything as I've sat and cried over my foxie's sore legs. Particularly as other people constantly ask me about them, I feel so bad but have tried so many things.

I'm also desperate to fix the Malt girl's problem, I believe she's probably suffered for many years plus she's definitely been abused at some point.

DM: make sure it's the 100% stuff (or 99.97%) you can get it from Healthy life and good health stores.

The biggest problem you may have is getting pup to drink it - mix it with chicken juice or that dog water stuff and that helps. It won't matter if the gel gets licked off either - just add more.

ETA: warning, the stuff isn't cheap, but when your dog is in pain you don't care.

Edited by caffiend42

Terror: Until you know what is making the dog allergic you can only treat the symptoms... you need to find out what is causing the allergy.

Dan

We are sure it is a grass allergy - He has not had a change of food or anything

Vet has cut foot open and there is nothing in there

will try the other options

thanks guys!

Hi Miranada,

I am always looking out for those grass seeds l check his feet after his walks.Sometimes the lumps are like he has been pricked by those nasty thorn weeds. He should stay on footpaths but l see so much broken glass it makes me mad.

Hi Jodie,

l might be using my Malaseb way too strong. Would you use 1 teaspoon to a cup of water?

HI Caffiend42,

Aloe Vera 3 times a day l am off to get some also.Is it 1 teaspoon 3 times a day?

thanks

Goldy