Uncontrollable Urge To Pee. Stops On Vomit

Erny

Hi :thumbsup: Thanks for your posts, all. They really mean a lot and they really do help bolster more strength. :)

But I gotta tell you .... I feel so bad, so guilty, at the moment. Over the recent weeks, Kal's been doing a fair amount of whining. She can be a bit of a whinger anyway but I used to ignore all but what I thought were genuine messages. Since she's been sick, I've been taking more notice of the whining. For example, before and/or after seizures, she goes into a state of whining. I've been aware that, through this attention for whining (and me sometimes getting it wrong and falling for the "whine for attention" moments), I've inadvertantly reinforced this behaviour to a degree.

Well, I got home, fed the dogs and did the usual "I just got home" chores. Settled Kal on her mat in the lounge room (blankets on) and watched some TV. Kal does this whiney thing (which is now a somewhat tinny whistley sound, due to whatever blockage she has in her nasal cavity/passage) and keeps it up. Although I find it difficult to cop sometimes when I'm tired, I thought "heck, maybe she's feeling unwell" so went over to see what I could do. She kept it up for sometime, even when I was sitting with her. At one point I asked her "outside?" (cue for going outside to the toilet) but she didn't make a move.

Anyway, so I wander down here to the PC and not long after, Kal follows down, whining as she does so. And then I go and tell her (in a stern, although not growly, voice) - Enough! Stop with the whining!

She went straight back out of the room, down the hallway, and pee'd on the carpet mat I have there.

I feel so rotten. There she was doing the right thing by trying to tell me she needed to go outside and of all times I told her off! :thumbsup: :D I just feel so rotten. I know I can't be perfect, and I know it's probably excuseable, but I just feel so rotten. I hope I haven't put her off from letting me know when she needs the toilet. :thumbsup: Time will tell, I guess. That will be, of course, after I've got up or come away from something a trillion times when she whines, just to see if it's the door she needs opening. :thumbsup: :kick myself and smack forehead emoticon:

PS - Still no seizures. Discharge/blood from nostril has cleared, although breathing sound continues to evidence a blockage somewhere down there. But she has also been giving me tail wag greetings over the last few days. :laugh: There are a lot of dogs in for training at the kennels at the moment, so I didn't get back in time for a walk down the park. But planning to fit one in tomorrow and Friday, if she's up to it.

Edited by Erny

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh Erny dont beat yourself up I am sure Kal understands and everyone gets tired and a little cranky at times, I am positive she wont hold it against you, love each other while you can.

Maybe just maybe she peed on the carpet mat because you went mad at her not because she really wanted to go.

chin up girl :thumbsup:

Ahh Erny dont beat yourself up I am sure Kal understands and everyone gets tired and a little cranky at times, I am positive she wont hold it against you, love each other while you can.

chin up girl :thumbsup:

Thanks Isaviz. I'm not down. Just a bit frustrated with myself. I'm almost laughing at myself now (maybe putting it up as a post has been what I needed ....

Maybe just maybe she peed on the carpet mat because you went mad at her not because she really wanted to go.

:thumbsup: I've been telling her a lot lately that she's my little African Princess ..... maybe I've made her believe it. :thumbsup:

Speaking of which, I better go check her chicken. Last night, I got caught up here and on the phone and clean forgot it. Burnt the bottom of the saucepan black. :thumbsup:

Erny don't feel bad, Kal loves you so much I'm sure she has even forgotten the growly voice, sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between whines and you have so much to contend with, don't beat yourself up about it.

On another note it's really wonderful to hear that the seizures seem to have abated and the medication is helping with the nose blockage, just enjoy her waggly tail and smiley face :thumbsup:

Erny don't feel bad, Kal loves you so much I'm sure she has even forgotten the growly voice, sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between whines and you have so much to contend with, don't beat yourself up about it.

On another note it's really wonderful to hear that the seizures seem to have abated and the medication is helping with the nose blockage, just enjoy her waggly tail and smiley face :thumbsup:

Thanks Wolfgirl. Her whines, these days, ARE hard to decifer - particularly as the 'tune/pitch'' has changed since whatever it is causing the blockage in her nose. Looking back, I should have taken a bit more time and noticed the look in her eyes. In hindsight, I realise it would have been clear to me what she wanted if I'd simply taken a longer moment to think about it. My bad - my patience ran a bit thin at the time and I too quickly jumped to the conclusion that she was whining for the chicken that was cooking on the stove (which she does regularly - especially since her illness, where she's always looking for food).

I gave her extra chicken last night just to satiate my own guilt. Made sure I left it for a while after she'd pee'd inside, though ..... :thumbsup:

She's not on meds for the nasal blockage yet. After discussion with the Vet, we've decided to see if the discharge comes back big time again - if it does, then I'll administer the antibiotics and see if it has any effect. At the moment, there is a very small amount of discharge, but not to the extent that it was.

She's had 3 quiet, sleepful nights in a row now and hasn't had a seizure (that I know of) for almost one week (save for the very very tiny one on Sunday just gone). This in itself will be helping her to feel better. :thumbsup:

Thanks, LL. Ups and downs, good days/bad days, good nights/bad nights. All the probs relate to breathing difficulties and the disrupt it causes her rest. Generally, not too bad during the day (although I note that the noise she makes whilst breathing through her nose is becoming more evident, even when she is standing, which it never used to), but nights are often worse - particularly when she goes to bed after exertion of going to the toilet etc. Last night wasn't too bad, but the night before wasn't pleasant. I wish I could stick my hand up her nose and pull out the monster that is doing this to her. :(

Was hoping to be able to take her for a walk to the park yesterday and/or today, but I don't think she was up to it, so we didn't go. The weather wasn't particularly pleasant either, so one way or the other, I don't think she would have enjoyed it. Although she seemed happy enough to be able to come with me for a drive on Thursday just gone. :(

She looooooooves her meals, though. And I must admit I'm beginning to think she's verging on being a tad over weight (not quite, but nearly). Can you believe that!!? After all this time I've struggled to get weight on her. Mind you, at two HUMUNGOUS chicken fillets per day, plus a big cup of vegies (in pureed form) as well as what would be the equivalent of one third cup of rolled oats (soaked), plus omega blend oil and her holistic drops .... not to mention the odd bone every couple of days, who would be surprised. I've given up on stocking food and freezing it for me - the freezer belongs to her! :offtopic:

Although she has her moments, her back legs don't seem to be as weak as they were not so long ago. If it wasn't for what we believe to be this damn tumour affecting her nasal cavity, I'd say we were ticking along ok.

Oh - and hey, exciting that you got your lab back from OS. Boy oh boy! I bet you're one very busy person of late! :cry: Will be looking forward to when I feel I can take leisure time to come over and check him out. And have a wee drink or two, of course! :)

ETA: Kal has forgiven me for speaking to her sternly about her whining the other day. She still whines to be let out the front door to go to the toilet, so no damage done there. Mind you, she whines at me for everything else too. But I don't care. :D

Edited by Erny

Erny,

Thanks for the update. Drinks whenever you have some free time!!!!!.

Is Kal on any pain medication?

Yank is going well. Buggers recalls are a little too fast. Need more control at the end "bit". I am still limping, after a week.

Drinks whenever you have some free time!!!!!.

Yes please. :)

Is Kal on any pain medication?

No. Although I've brought up the subject of 'pain' with her Vet, and we can't say there is none (how do you know if a dog has a head ache), there have been no strong outward signs indicating she is suffering any pain as such. Unless I'm being ignorant in relation to her condition?

Yank is going well. Buggers recalls are a little too fast. Need more control at the end "bit". I am still limping, after a week.

:offtopic: If only more people had this initial problem. (The too fast recalls, that is. Not the damage to your knees as a result! :D). Yes - they have to learn to know when to 'check' themselves on their return, don't they. Just finished training an Irish Wolf Hound - Boy! Were his recalls daunting when you could see he hadn't developed the knack of knowing when to start pulling up! :cry:

Edited by Erny

On Friday just gone, Kal had another VERY tiny seizure. It was her "head tapping" one. Only lasted about 5 seconds. I noted it, but didn't think too much about it. It was the second one (that I've had opportunity to notice, anyway) in 2 weeks - each one week apart.

But last night, they (the "head tapping" ones) returned a bit more strongly, and she had about 3 or 4 in succession. Each was preceded by very rapid breathing. She added one more to her repetoire: legs kicked out and body spasm. Although 'minor', it reminded me too much of a Grand Mal and makes me think they're on their way back in.

I rang her Vet this morning, only to find out he's not there this week. His assistant suggested that if Kal can't wait for a week, then I need to book in and see another Vet and start again with her history. :laugh: She was very reluctant to simply pass Kal's file to one of the other Vets I know Guy has spoken to about Kal - at least to see if they can help me without putting Kal through the duress of re-visiting the Vet clinic.

I know her meds need adjusting .... or we might manipulate with another drug (can't remember the name) which doesn't have the same sedative effect that Phenobarbs do. (Kal doesn't need to be sedated more, if she can avoid it.) I also wanted to ask about pain relief and determine (now that some time has marched on) whether it would be warranted or recommended.

I'm at a slight loss at the moment. I will take her to the local emergency clinic if I need to, but naturally don't want to.

On another note - took Kal for a drive to the park. She managed a slow 10 minute walk. One small trot. Was glad to get out of the house, but was glad to get back (dinner time!) :mad

Well Kal had no seizures (that I know of) yesterday or during the night, but she didn't sleep well. Coincidental that it's only been spoken of in the last couple of days, but last night she did show signs of discomfort/pain.

I rang Russell Mitten at Werribee (Kal's attending Vet prior to Guy Yates) and he was very helpful. He prescribed a Rimadyl injection for pain relief tonight, and Kal will continue on Rimadyl (tablet form) each night thereafter. This should at least keep her comfortable.

He also prescribed "Bromapex" (Potassium Bromide) to add to her meals (along with the Phenobarbs she's already on) to hopefully cease any seizure activity that seems to be raising its ugly head.

When I got home at about 1.00 pm today, I thought "this was it". She was so weak she barely lifted her head from her bean bag to acknowledge me. Didn't get up. I made a coffee and went and sat out with her, and when I lifted her head, it felt so weak. If she had taken her "wings" at that time, I would have completely understood .... in fact, her heart rate was low enough that I expected this to happen.

The prescriptions for the drugs were (kindly) filled by my local veterinary emergency centre and Kal received the Rimadyl injection approximately 5.00 pm today. At the Vet Em. Clinic, Kal was too weak/tired to even shiver with nerves (as she normally does) and the Vet who saw us commented that she would have expected her heart rate to be higher than it was. On the good side, Kal weighed in at 31.4 kgs and the Vet who saw us commented on what good nick she was in. ;)

Must say, 2 hours on and she seems to have perked up a bit and is presently outside (her choice) gnawing on her bone (on her bean bag ....... with her blanket on, of course :rolleyes:). I'm hoping she has a good night tonight. Perhaps she will be a bit more spritely tomorrow. Regardless, she will be as she feels like being. I just hope that I have been able to make her feel happier than she was today.

Edited by Erny

Oh Erny what a trip you and Kal are one. I do not like Rimadyl, personally. Here is some info plus a link

Pfizer acknowledges a problem with some dog owners, especially the consumer group which mounted a campaign dubbed BARKS, for Be Aware of Rimadyl's Known Side-effects (including loss of appetite, wobbling, vomiting, seizures and severe liver malfunction). The drug company is reported to be contacting pet owners who have told their stories on the Internet, and is offering to pay medical and diagnostic expenses for some dogs who may have been harmed by Rimadyl.

http://www.pgaa.com/canine/health/rimadylwarning.html

It also give alternatives to Rimadyl. Good luck to you both.

Thank you Loraine. I will look into that link shortly. I told Russell I wasn't keen on Rimadyl either because I remembered it being spoken of as having some nasty side effects. Russell indicated that it was generally pretty safe although could cause stomach irritation which, if it does, is unavoidable - although making sure I give it with food should help. He certainly didn't offer/suggest any alternatives. Must admit, when I spoke to Russell, I felt Kal didn't have much longer to go, a feeling that was compounded by the way she was when I returned from training - so I figured "side effects" probably wouldn't get time to be of any trouble (could be ignorance on my part - at the time, all I wanted was for someone to help me help her and was just so relieved that I was able to speak to Russell today and get some meds for her, given that Guy is away for a week). But then, you just never know. Kal has surprised me before.

Edited by Erny

Hi again Loraine. Whilst I haven't read all the links within the link you kindly provided, I did read the "alternatives". All the alternatives seem to relate to relief from joint problems. Given that Kal's discomfort is more likely the result of the tumour/s, I doubt the "alternatives" will target her source of pain. :rolleyes: What do you, and others, think?

Oh Erny it is hearbreaking reading the latest about Kal. I can offer no medical knowledge - and I hope someone comes along soon who can - what appalling timing of your vet! Can only send best wishes to both you and Kal to get thru this as best you both can.

So sorry you and Kal are having such a tough time at present.

I only have anecdotal knowledge of Rimadyl - and have used it on a previous dog with no problems. I would think, at this stage, you're right about any long-term side-effects being the least of your worries. Of course you'll be observing her for the unlikely onset of short term adverse reactions, but pain relief would seem to be the number one priority at this stage.

Oh, and from what I've heard from people with epileptic Border Collies, the combination of Potassium Bromide with Phenobarb can be very beneficial - so let's hope that's so for Kal too.

Lots of good vibes heading your way from across Bass Strait.

It's a real bummer Ern, I'm sorry Kal has been doing poorly lately.

I actually just finished writing a real long post to you an d when I went to add a final Emoticon, it seems DOL crashed and all was lost... Did anyone else just now have a problem ?

I was wondering whether the heater may be drying out Kal's sinuses /mucous membranes thus causing the breathing probs ?... Irefuse to believe its a tumour...

Sincere thoughts are with you at all times buddy, even though I haven't been on line much, this doesn't mean I'm not thinking of you both and the other ill doggies that i've grown to love and care about...

Thanks to all for your kind posts of support. I wrote a long post in response, but deleted it. It sounded morose and I didn't want that, because I don't feel it, albeit a serene sadness. Although Kal and I had a tough time last night (new meds giving her diarrhea), both she and I have been very peaceful today. I now have time away from training and this will afford me more time to spend gently with her ... just being around and being there. She likes that. (Particularly when "food" comes with it :confused:.)

Pamps: If it weren't for Kal's seizures and the fact that only one nostril seems to be affected, I might have thought "not a tumour" either. Everytime I ponder on alternate possibilities, I tend to come full circle, as much as I'd like to deny it. I think Meds are helping her at the moment. It's day by day and whilst she feels comfortable, I'm greatful for each one of them.

And I know that you think of us as we do of you and yours. Hoping all is well? Would like to catch up with you on that note.

Erny,

what can I say? I know that feeling all too well...it is a sort of handing it all over to the hands of a greater being or something. It comes, I think, along with a realisation that you are doing all that is humanly possible for Kal and an acceptance of the cycle of life not being in our hands alone.. The plus is that you can enjoy all the time with Kal that you can...gather up memories to tuck into your memory safe. Kal knows she is loved.

I thinks of you both during the days as I potter about the farm. Just today as I was in the veggie garden , I was enveloped by the sweet smell of roses....Dear Miss Sophies rose bush is flowering! a little gift from beyond perhaps.

Hugs

helen