Uncontrollable Urge To Pee. Stops On Vomit

Erny

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you had any news Erny from the holistic vets ?... Any suggestions from them or appointments taken at this stage ?... What is the next step for you ?

Thanks for asking, Pampa. I received an email back from the girl the USA lady suggested. Basically to say I can make an appointment to see her or email her at the address she gave. She didn't say where she was based, nor gave me any information pertaining to Cushing's/Addison's/Adrenal Gland malfunction, so I've emailed back asking if she is in a position to help us in the event that any of these are found to be the problem. Waiting to see.

I have a few names to contact (holistic Vets) that a few people have recommended/suggested. I think it is a bit premature, however, to formerly contact them until I really know what we are dealing with. I could use up their time discussing an ailment that the forthcoming tests rule out.

In the meantime, I have received a couple of emails with links to info (thank you to you all for your support and guidance :p) which also to a reasonable degree fit Kal's symptoms. Eg. Lymphocytic thyroiditis. Some of the links are extensive and I haven't finished reading them yet. In a way, this has made me feel a bit better as I think it would be more easily treated medically speaking - but of course, this could be false hope. I cannot ignore the fact that there is an existing adrenal gland mass. However, this could be a secondary symptom. ;)

Kal has her tests on 9th March. As you might well imagine, I'm doing a lot of reading and investigation (this could be a good or bad thing! :rolleyes: ) until then. In the meantime, I'm spoiling my dog, doing many of the things I've refrained from doing previously. (Eg. Kal whines for her blanket, I put it on; too much attention .... etc. etc. etc.) All the stuff I tell others not to do! :cheer: I realise what I'm doing, but I don't know the outcome of all of this and whether Kal will be with me for a great deal longer - I've succumbed to being human. If she does pull through all this (no matter which available option I chose), I have created in Kal a few learnt behaviours I will need to undo!

Edited by Erny

Thanks, Holly. I truley hope Kal's newfound attention seeking behaviours end up being our biggest hurdle. :cheer: :rolleyes: .... And if they are, I will ask you all to remind me what a blessing that is.

Edited by Erny

Erny I have PM'd you. I have personal knowledge of Cushing's and Addisons, feel free to contact me if you wish.

Thanks Loraine - I have PM'd your response. I've retained your contact information too. I guess I have to wait until 9th March for the tests and then the results, to do much more. Right now, I think I need a new filing system for all the information on Cushings, Addison's etc. I've printed out.

I'm even thinking I'd part way qualify in the Veterinary field! (and maybe even put some Vets to shame :)) I have learnt so much. :)

I sincereley thank you all, for your help, support and guidance. I'll certainly post up the test results once I've got them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, Pampa :D Hi Cheyenne :rofl:

Kal's the same, as far as health is concerned. We were at the Werribee Vet Uni last Thursday (from 8.30 am until 5.30 pm ... most of the time waiting in the lovely sunshine outside on their "lawns" ... which is actually where they toilet their dogs - I try not to think about that :rofl:).

They took a series of blood tests for Cushing's/Addison's. Won't know test results until Tuesday coming.

The Vet told me, however, that the adrenal gland enlargement shown up by the abdominal ultrasound does not appear to have invaded the surrounding blood vessels. He even went on to explain more fully that it might be simply an enlarged adrenal gland, rather than a "growth" of any type.

The Vet took Kal's blood pressure 3 x 3. I can't remember the exact result, but it was something like 166; 199; 162; 155; 122. These aren't exact, and there were more, but that's pretty much how it went. I can't remember what they were 'over'. All of these, except the last, are in the high range, although all, except the 199 one, were in the lower end of the "high".

Now, I don't understand this exactly, and I might have this misunderstood, but I think he suggested that where adrenal glands are malfunctioning (Cushing's or no), the blood pressure is usually up in the 200's, fairly consistently. Whereas Kal's blood pressure tended to reflect her emotional state (sort of). So the Vet doesn't find these findings alarming. To me, however, I'm thinking it might reflect that whatever 'condition' she does have, we've caught it in the early stages. (This is what I've been thinking for quite a long time now.)

I asked the Vet about the possibility of Lymphocytic Thyroidism. I've only been in half a mind about it too ... a bit torn between whether I believe it's a possibility, or whether I hope that's what it is.

The Vet doesn't think it likely and would've been happy enough to let it go untested. But, wanting to leave no stone unturned, suggested we test for that as well. (Might as well get it off my mind :).) So, if the blood tests show up negative for Cushing's, he's asked the lab to save some of the blood sample and run a test for the Lymphocytic Thyroidism. She only has a few of the symptoms (and the symptoms she does have are 'shared' symptoms, so it's difficult to tell) but I figure that if something's only at the "early" stage, then maybe .... just maybe.

I can't help thinking there maybe something in it ... but again, I think I also might just be being hopeful.

So, that's about the strength of it until I hear from the Vet on Tuesday. I'll post then the results. Thank you both for thinking of us. ;)

Edited by Erny

Awww Erny what you and poor Kal have been through :rofl:

Good on you for being so thorough though and listening to your instincts. :rofl: lots of people would have given up by now, but not you. Kal's one lucky girl to have you as her owner :D

Fingers crossed and will pray for good results on Tuesday

Anne

Erny,

Roll on Tuesday....keeping all fingers and paws crossed here for a definitive result and one that is easily dealt with. You two have been through so much.

When we are observant around our dogs I think we pick up little changes in behaviours that would otherwise go unoticed..then it can be hard to track down the cause becaus initially the dog is just a little "off". My Oscar is like that at the moment. Blood tests appear normal but I "know" something is not quite right.

My Oscar ... blood tests appear normal but I "know" something is not quite right.

ETA: What is it that you're seeing, Dogbesotted?

It's frustrating, isn't it?

I was talking to a fellow who came onto the Werribee Vet grounds whilst Kal and I were relaxing on the lawns. (I didn't know it at the time, but he came because it was the 1st anniversary of him losing his dog of 17.5 years ... his dog passed away there :rofl:) We were chatting about good Vets, not so good Vets etc.

I said that I don't expect Vets to play "God" and instantly know what's wrong, particularly when symptoms are ambiguous and/or vague. But it was nice when a Vet was in a position to guage you, respect your judgement about your own dog and accept that "something's wrong". All I've been wanting for 2 years was a Vet to "work with me" on this. Finally, I feel that's what is now happening. If Kal's blood tests come up negative to the tests, neither of us know what's wrong and therefore don't know what to test for. The Vet knows I google and get information from 'speaking' to you guys and the like. I thought that would annoy him ... and maybe it did, at first. But now I think he realises that like him, I just want to find out what the cause of Kal's unwellness is .... and now we're working together - throwing suggestions in the ring and then picking them apart for likliness, or not. That's all anyone can ask, IMO. :rofl:

If Kal's blood tests come back "negative" the only thing (so far) we can think of doing is to go back again a bit down the track and measure the adrenal gland size by way of another abdominal ultra sound ... to see if there's any change. That is, of course, unless either of us come up with any other possible/feasible ideas.

Like you say, Dogbesotted ... roll around Tuesday (fingers crossed, toes crossed etc. etc.).

In the meantime, I'm about to see if I can google for more details on Lymphocyctic Thyroiditis (compared to, say, Thyroidism) and see whether the prognosis and meds are the same. :D

Edited by Erny

Hey Erny - fingers crossed for you and Kal on Tuesday here too. It does sound like you have finally found a vet who is prepared to treat you as an intelligent person who is seeking to become better informed for the sake of the dog. That must be rally encouraging.

Barb