"failed" Sheepdog Perry Shows Her Stuff

Yesterday I went along to Binalong to watch Perry's Mum and Perry at sheepdog school.

Perry came from Koolie Rescue, from a farmer who had beaten and abused her, and was going to shoot her, because she "couldn't work".

Well, Perry and her mum are demonstrating very well that he was completely wrong!!

Perry's only been for a few lessons and she was brilliant!! Totally calm, she just trotted around behind, moving them all as a group around and around, darting out to catch the ones that tried to make a run for it, then back to the mob. Perry's Mum and the trainer were standing in the middle of the yard and talking, and Perry barely needed any instruction.

I was extremely impressed :confused:

Here are some of the pics I took (not great quality, but hey :rofl: ) showing Perry strutting her stuff :laugh:

post-9-1137894760.jpg

Well done Perry's Mum, again - I was lucky to see them working last year at a workshop at Elmore in Victoria with the Koolie Club and they were very good then. What a combination.

Sometimes the problem is the wrong dog with the wrong owner, but there is never any excuse for mistreatment. Good to see another Koolie rescue doing well :confused:

I am just ecstatic about the way Perry is going - not only is she proving to be good at herding but her behaviour (for those who have met her in the past) has improved out of sight. I think she has gained lots of self confidence from being good at herding and knowing that she can hold her own with the others. She was actually able to lie quietly under a gazebo with 2 other dogs this weekend - something she could not have managed 6 weeks ago let alone when she started this last May. We are getting ready to get her Herding Instinct Test and after that who knows - we just want to be able to thumb our noses at that farmer.

Ruth - I have sent the photos to Janine - I think she will be really pleased with Perry's progress.

• 3 weeks later...
I am just ecstatic about the way Perry is going - not only is she proving to be good at herding but her behaviour (for those who have met her in the past) has improved out of sight. I think she has gained lots of self confidence from being good at herding and knowing that she can hold her own with the others. She was actually able to lie quietly under a gazebo with 2 other dogs this weekend - something she could not have managed 6 weeks ago let alone when she started this last May. We are getting ready to get her Herding Instinct Test and after that who knows - we just want to be able to thumb our noses at that farmer.

Ruth - I have sent the photos to Janine - I think she will be really pleased with Perry's progress.

Good on ya Perry's Mum nice to see the herding has built her confidence up its also an excellent way of teaching the dog great obedience (Not formal oobedience) and manners.

Many a dog rejected by the working people/Farmer would make excellent herding dogs and as someone else said can be just a simple as dog and handler doesn't gel.

Looking forward to hearing how your Herding test goes.

Good luck

Tracey

She looks like she is doing well.

Just a question on the herding test - I know of someone with a Koolie that was told she can not enter it into the Instinct Cert as it is not on the list of recognised herding breeds. She actually sent in an entry and had it returned to her.

Does anyone have any details of Koolies that have done their IC or HT? And did they list them as Koolies on the entry?

Thanks

Good on you guys!

I have seen many dogs returned by farmers because they wouldn't work - most of the time it was the farmer that wasn't allowing the dog to work. Some very good dogs have been lost to poor handlers with high expectations.

Keep up the good work.

David.