Im Almost Ready To Let Go..

some of you may know from my on and off post bout my old Jenna..how we just playing a waiting game ...and i've been waiting for a 'sign' to let her go... :) ;)

ironicaLLY shes been the best ive ever seen her, has lost heaps of weight, looking fit, not limping anymore......and yet shes dying..

I did a recent post asking for thoughts bout when do i know??

and you guys said to me, ' you will know when''

Well no major changes since i posted that....

but i think ive been in denial bout it all and not wanted to see the 'changes' either..

the other day while she was eating her tea, i was watching her, and the 'lump' that had been so small in the beginning is now ' very huge' in fact her tail stands out a bit, which hadnt before... :cheer:

shes been having some restless nights of late..and getting very snappy with joey, which she never has previously....

so ive been thinking over and over...shall i do it before its too late and she is at her worst

I think i will very soon, when i can muster the courage...

my usual vets are pretty good, but have been told there a very special vet in Balhana 'Helen' in South Australia..... that we should take jenna to, when we make the decision....

apparently shes very intune with dogs and just is meant to be extra understanding in that area...she also can arrange for a cremation...

We not sure yet bout ...cremation versus burial....?????

we buried my rabbit few weeks ago, so not sure if to do that with jenna..

in the past , i used to take my other dogs to the vets, and let them do it and walk away. but this time im going to do something proper for my 'jenna...

im also scared to do it, that joey will fret badly, hes such a very senstive soul! :love: :D

The worse thing is...that the longer i prolong thiis, its keeping me a emotiional wreak ..just the waiting around and looking at her all the time....

this pic of her and joey holding hands..

93024642_d3b253ec1b_m.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that feeling of suffocation all too well.

last year three of my beloved dogs crossed to The Bridge.

The Divine Miss Sophie is laid to rest in the veggie garden area..she loved food and hated the maremmas..so there she can be surrounded by food, and keep an eye on the Big Whites. The Soph loved eating, lurking and watching.

Casper is resting in the shade of a plum tree, from there he can still watch over his precious lambs.

Jake I had cremated. he crossed less than a week after the Divine One..and I could not bear the thought of burying him.

When Morris passed away in November 1999 I had him cremated as well..and now he and Jake are side by side. I hope that when it is my time that we will all be buried together.

I have had you and jenna tucked into my prayers and heart since you posted last time.

Hugs

Aargh - this is such a horrible time for you - I'm so sorry.

It's good that you're thinking ahead about cremation vs. burial thing. I truly think that helps. I had my 2 previous dogs cremated - although I've buried all my cats. I was burying a cat, and realised there was no way I could dig a hole big enough for even my Border Collies, and a friend had had her Golden Retriever cremated, so that was what I opted for. Different places do things in different ways - my friend got her 'kids' back in pretty urns, whereas mine are in plastic bags inside quite nice small cream cardboard boxes. One of the good things about cremation, I think, is that then you can either scatter the ashes in a dog's favourite place(s), or, like me - just keep them at home with you - and if you ever move, the dogs can go too.

Can you give that special vet a call, and talk to her and see what she thinks?

As far as when - .... well done for seeing what's really happening. I guess a sign for me would be the 'getting snappy with Joey'. I would think you don't want to wait till that escalates till it's a problem for Joey, or you have memories that are not so good. As it is, it's nice that she's seeming good - they are nice memories to have.

Something else to think about - and this may seem sort of selfish, but it's not meant to be. At present, you're consumed about "when". If you feel the time is getting close, once you finally make the decision, then you regain that time to do other things. Sure, you will be grieving - for years, in the background - but you can get on with other things without that constant nagging worrying.

Don't know if that makes any sense - or if it says what I want to say - but anyway, know that lots of folks are feeling for you.

Barb

Think of you at this horrible time :love: :D :)

Just a thought with Joey after Jenna has passed let Joey sniff her and be with her for a time.........I think that it helps the other dog come to terms that the dog has gone.........Your in my prayes at this hard time ;)

Years ago when my old ACD Zero was put down, my vet came to my home. Now I live further away from my vet and last year when I had to make the decision with Amy, we went for a car drive and the vet came out to the car ... Amy loved being in the car. She left me eating liver treats. Didn't even feel the prick.

It is so hard at this time. My thoughts are with you.

That photo of the paws together has made me cry I found that very emotional, I am so sorry for your torment at this time. But believe me you will know the "right time". Its a truly beautiful photo. Keep us updated my thoughts and love are with you at this very sad time.

:love: :D :) ;) :cheer: MSJ I really feel for you :)

None of us can tell you when is the right time to let Jenna go, we havnt met her, nor have we seen whether she is going downhill/uphill or whether she is in pain. However I really think you will know in your heart when she cannot go on anymore, and when that time comes we will all be here for you supporting you as you face the difficult time of letting Jenna have her wings.

:cheer::clap: Give the darling a hug from me, Muffin & Oscar :cool:

my sweet jenna,i do feel for you.

When my first shepherd was quite sick and the end was near i had said that i was taking her to the vets in the morning to be pts as i couldn't stand her to be in such pain any more.When we went to bed that night i looked out and she was laying down in the back yard and had died.I'm not sure which would have been upseting,taking her to the vets or knowing she died all by her self in the backyard :love:

Thinking of you

Julie

Poor Jenna and poor Mumsie, don't let the grief overwhelm you day by day, celebrate every moment that you have left with your precious girl and let her wipe your tears for you.

I had my rottie PTS at home, mostly because we couldn't move him in the end without causing him more pain. The vet was as good as could be expected, very embarassed by my VERY public display of grief and made some stupid comment about getting another dog...BUT...he only charged a standard consult fee. Don't think he wanted to make it harder for me. I also had him cremated, I couldn't bear the thought of leaving him behind if I ever moved house again. He is now sitting on my special shelf with my special things.

I wish you all the courage in the world to get through this.

:love: :D I know exactly how you are feeling right now, as my Mia was on the "bridge" thread, here for one short day, I had to make that terrible decision on Thursday 2/2, For about a week I was fretting trying to get my head around trying to call my vet to come and do the deed, and when I looked at her on Thursday morning, the way she looked at me I knew that she was ready to go.

With tears in my eyes and a breaking heart I rang, it was so peaceful for her in the end, one minute she was breathing and then she just went to sleep, it was so gentle.

My vet is a wonderful caring man as is his wife who is also a vet, they are so gentle, and I am dreading the post next week as they always send you a little memoriam for your dog/animal. There clinic motto is "We care because they are family"

If you are interested they are at Aberfoyle Park, and go under the name of Hub Vet clinic, I can give you more details if you want.

Be strong for your girl, it is hard I know, but she depends on you to make the decision for her, and you like me would not want her to suffer, and my vet gives you the option to keep her home or cremation as well.

My prayers are with you and Jenna :) ;)

I am so, so sorry to hear about beautiful Jenna.

I've been going into my PM board and I've typed out your reading, yet something kept preventing me from pressing Send.

And now I know :love: My thoughts and prayers are with you and Jenna and I am sending a thousand angels to both your sides right now.

If there is anything I can do for you, please just let me know. Lots of love and hugs from Jasmine and myself, Renee

Yes your vet will come to you, I had my 16 year old sedated at home and then Matthew took him to his house. I had Sandy cremated and then took a huge bunch of flowers down to the beach where we used to walk and let him go on the flowers on an outgoing tide.

I hope this will help

A Living Love

>

> If you ever love an animal, there are three days in your life you will

> always remember....

>

> The first is a day, blessed with happiness, when you bring home your

> young new friend.

> You may have spent weeks deciding on a breed. You may have asked

> numerous opinions of many vets, or done long research in finding a

> breeder. Or, perhaps in a fleeting moment, you may have just chosen

> that silly looking mutt in a shelter--simply because something in its

> eyes reached your heart. But when you bring that chosen pet home, and

> watch it explore, and claim its special place in your hall or front

> room--and when you feel it brush against you for the first time--it

> instills a feeling of pure love you will carry with you through the

> many years to come.

>

> The second day will occur eight or nine or ten years later.

> It will be a day like any other.

> Routine and unexceptional. But, for a surprising instant, you will

> look at your longtime friend and see age where you once saw youth. You

> will see slow deliberate steps where you once saw energy. And you will

> see sleep when you once saw activity. So you will begin to adjust your

> friend's diet--and you may add a pill or two to her food. And you may

> feel a growing fear deep within yourself, which bodes of a coming

> emptiness. And you will feel this uneasy feeling, on and off, until

> the third day finally arrives.

>

> And on this day--if your friend and God have not decided for you, then

> you will be faced with making a decision of your own--on behalf of

> your lifelong friend, and with the guidance of your own deepest

> Spirit. But whichever way your friend eventually leaves you--you will

> feel as alone as a single star in the dark night.

>

> If you are wise, you will let the tears flow as freely and as often as

> they must. And if you are typical, you will find that not many in your

> circle of family or friends will be able to understand your grief, or

> comfort you.

>

> But if you are true to the love of the pet you cherished through the

> many joy-filled years, you may find that a soul--a bit smaller in size

> than your own--seems to walk with you, at times, during the lonely

> days to come.

>

> And at moments when you least expect anything out of the ordinary to

> happen, you may feel something brush against your leg--very very

> lightly.

>

> And looking down at the place where your dear, perhaps dearest, friend

> used to lay--you will remember those three significant days. The

> memory will most likely to be painful, and leave an ache in your

> heart--As time passes the ache will come and go as if it has a life of

> its own.

> You will both reject it and embrace it, and it may confuse you. If you

> reject it, it will depress you. If you embrace it, it will deepen you.

> Either way, it will still be an ache.

>

> But there will be, I assure you, a fourth day when--along with the

> memory of your pet--and piercing through the heaviness in your

> heart--there will come a realization that belongs only to you. It will

> be as unique and strong as our relationship with each animal we have

> loved, and lost. This realization takes the form of a Living

> Love--like the heavenly scent of a rose that remains after the petals

> have wilted, this Love will remain and grow--and be there for us to

> remember. It is a love we have earned. It is the legacy our pets leave

> us when they go. And it is a gift we may keep with us as long as we

> live. It is a Love which is ours alone. And until we ourselves leave,

> perhaps to join our Beloved Pets--it is a Love we will always possess.

>

> (by Martin Scot Kosins)

Hello

I am soo sorry to have to read this.

Your baby will appreciate that she had so many great years with you, and will be sitting at the bridge fully contented, waiting for you to visit her, with her tail wagging at full speed.

We had cooper cremated, and the vet arranged for the AWL here in SA to pick him up, and a couple of days later, he arrived in a beautiful ceramic blue urn, which is now on our cupboard, and comforts us.

I will truley be thinking of you.

From Jodie

Edited by Jodie dog owner