Maybe Not Rat Bait ?

pampa

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bloody hell Pampa.!!!! I would have thought the vet would have checked for that beforehand. esp as the poor lass was not responding to treatment. so much time has been wasted.

will do some seeking of more information.

in the meantime keep your chin up.

HUgs

Helen

bloody hell Pampa.!!!! I would have thought the vet would have checked for that beforehand. esp as the poor lass was not responding to treatment. so much time has been wasted.

will do some seeking of more information.

in the meantime keep your chin up.

HUgs

Helen

Yes, my vet is feeling really shitty too... He remembers me asking him if we should do the test but he can't remeber me REALLY pushing to do it :D We had to do it 30 days prior to departure anyway, so he figured it would be soon enough. She is showing NO other symptom of Ehrlichiosis whatsoever... Her weight is stable, she is bright and energetic, she is not anaemic, not vomitting NOTHING apart from the bruises... The vet was soooo sure she wasn't infected, he simply thought it was silly to test for it before the protocol.

Anyway, she has had a Imidocarb dipropionate injection yesterday and she is on doxycycline, the usual antibiotic treatment for the illness.

I'll write to AQIS today to see what I can do to "make" her elligible for import...

She may be OK.. The gov. laboratory here told me they recently shipped out an infected dog to NZ who'd been put on doxycycline...

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks to everyone and especially the words of wisdom from Rusky re throwing stuff out... Very true :cool:

Pampa,

Doxycycline seesm to be the drug of choice.

here are a few links...more tomorrow I am in the middle of doing my BAS for the quarter sigh I hate paperwork LOl). I am trying to track down recent research. I also agree with teh advice of chuck the good stuff and keep the memories. Memories of what life is made up of, those of the past, those being made now and those that will be made in the future.

http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/article...=60050&pageID=2

http://aac.asm.org/cgi/content/full/42/2/362

http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/0503consultantoncall.htm ( may be worth subscribing to get this one)

Thinking of you both

Helen

Although I have followed your thread, are you able to explain what Ehrlichiosis is again and also how 'shock' treatment could produce a 'negative' result to this condition? And why does Ehrilichiosis prevent import? Is it something that can spread from animal to animal (by way of tick, perhaps?)

We hadn't yet touched on the illness Erny... It is one cause of the tiny bruises she is suffering, but because she has shown no other symptom, the vet ruled it out, despite DBS (and the behaviouralist vet I saw here) suggesting I test for it...

I'm hoping the dipropionate and the doxycycline will knock the bug out so as to get a negative result within 2 weeks... We'll see.

Yes Erny, it can be spread by means of a tick and we must therefore keep it off Australian shores !

Thank you Helen for the reading material !!! (bon courage with your BAS !)

Edited by pampa

Erlichiosis is believed to be endemic in Northern Queensland. and the Nt I think. Will check

WOW!!! That is soooooo interesting !

If it is already present in Australia, why all the tests then ???...

You've made my day Helen :cool:

(this explains why, if treated, dogs may be allowed into the country)...

Well, finally an answer for your girl. Maybe not exactly what you were looking for but at least treatable.

I hope it clears enough for travel.

Don't throw out anything that you look at and know cannot be replaced, especially those with memories.

Cyclone Tracy did that to us, then when we moved from the NT to Qld, all our stuff went missing. We fortunately had packed our valuables and photos etc and they travelled with my OH tools of trade, so we still had those. Especially important when you lose one of your kids and need the photos at times to show grandchildren.

Good luck with the packing, moving etc.

We hadn't yet touched on the illness Erny...

:cool: No wonder I couldn't remember the details.

I'm hoping the dipropionate and the doxycycline will knock the bug out so as to get a negative result within 2 weeks...

Oh ..... so am I, Pampa! So am I!

Thank you for the link DBS, although, unfortunately she is positive to the "canis" strain of the illness touched upon in the second part of the report, which (as far as I understand it), has never proven to be in Australia :p

In the article, it is clearly written "Dogs must be serologically non-reactive to permit entry into this country" :)

We have started the two treatments mentioned above and both are fairly violent on the system. Today she is trembling (especially when her tummy is empty), and she has diarrhea, so I suspect she has some pain/discomfort in the digestive system, which the vet told me to expect.

I'm giving her little nibbles to avoid gastic acids from irritating her intestines and I'll give her some "Gastroguard" if she gets worse...

Poor sweetie ;)

fingers crossed for a good outcome here. You are both going through so much.

speak to your vet about perhaps using some slippery elm ( Ulmus fulva)for settling the tummy. it comes in a powdered form and can be easily added to food or broth.

Hugs

Helen

Bit of a bummer about the tick disease, at least it is identified and treatable, and hopefully may bring about some overall health improvement once done. All that can be done is to take one step at a time. Sending you lots of positive vibes. :love:

Thank you all very much (again :D )...

She seems to be a bit better this evening... I gave her the antibiotics with her main meal tonight, (last night I gave them to her around midnight and having already digested most of her dinner, they must have burnt her gut :love: ), so I'm hoping she will cope better with a full tummy. I hope everyone has a lovely weekend with your doggies and that they all stay well :)

I've FINALLY got some good news :thumbsup:

We got Thursdays blood results back this morning and she is now NEGATIVE to Ehrlichiosis therefore able to travel :thumbsup:

Not only that, but despite reducing the Prednisone, her platelet count is up a little (up to 75.000 whereby a low satisfactory is 100.000 and her former count was 50.000). This means that the "shock" treatment and anti-biotics have got the bug under control and her immune system can now concentrate on working itself out again.

I've weaned her completely off the cortisone (Prednisone) since today, so I just hope her platelet count continies to rise slowly but surely as it should do...

Anyway, I hope everyone else is having some good news too, or at least a nice week-end.

Thanks for your support, well wishes, candles and good vibes as it is obviously working wonders :rolleyes:

PS: Abergavenny, ta for the PM :cool: