Maybe Not Rat Bait ?

pampa

A reminder to all that the bruising..called petchiae, is also a symptom of thrombocytopenia which is a blood disorder associated with other dog health issues.

Dogsbesotted, you are really a mine of valuable information... I will be Googling thrombocytopenia for future reference... :thumbsup:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogsbesotted, you are really a mine of valuable information... I will be Googling thrombocytopenia for future reference... :thumbsup:

Yeah Dogsbesotted ..... you know heaps!!!!!! And the info you provide is good, informative and helpful stuff too. Thanks.

Hi there :thumbsup:

Thanks for following up guys, I'd somewhat let the thread drop away so as not to bore you all :rofl:

No seriously, I thought she was coming along fine although the last 24 hours have been a bit rocky.

The night before last, when she moved in her armchair, she wimpered once or twice... Very worried I got up to see what was wrong but she showed no apparent distress so we all went back to bed.

She was a bit "flat" yesterday but her temperature was OK and she only had 2 new bruises, one on her eye and one where she'd scratched herself under the throat.

I took her for a walk / run, and she seemed fine so when we got in, I gave her a marrow bone, making sure that there was no way she could splinter it to avoid any internal haemoraging...

She hasn't had any type of bone since she's been ill, so she really "went to town" on it, licking away for hours and trying to break it up.

The dogs also had a big play fight but I kept a close eye on them to make sure the girls didn't go overboard...

This morning, her gums were a bit pale and had red flicks EVERYWHERE when I opened her mouth, her tongue was specked with black ! :thumbsup:

I checked her all over and found another new bruise on her rear end, three on her belly, one on her elbow, and several on the head :nahnah:

Panick stations so I called the vet. He confirmed that the black specks on the tongue were just bruises and nothing else (I was imagining the worst things :rasberry: ), probably due to licking the bone to death. The bright red spots on the gums were also a form of bruising due to chewing said bone but he didn't like the idea that she had pale mucouses.

He reminded me that he expected her recovery to be long but I could tell he is worried. He asked me to extend her treatment for an extra 5 days over and above the 5 days treatment that I already have (ten more days in total) and if she's still bruising I have to take her in for tests :thumbsup:

I'm beginning to worry that maybe Dogsbesotted suggestion of thrombocytopenia is a possibility and I am currently looking more closely at the illness. Anyway, I'll try not to jump the guns.

It has now been a full month since she ingested the bloody rotton stuff and it is still making her ill. I can just imagine what would have been the outcome had I not given her the massive doses of vitamin K for coagulating the blood and thus contering the rat bait *anti-coagulant* :rofl:

I will keep you posted because much to my dismay, it is not over yet :thumbsup:

As you have said to me in a post, Pampa ..... "Damn". :cry:

Thoughts are with you and yours and wishing so hard for your girl to show positive signs of recovery from this ordeal.

What a hard slog for your and your girl - in the physical, mental and emotional sense. Sending you extra strength to get through. ;)

Sounds like she is going to get through it and a tough little monkey. I wont use rat bait and would rather have rats. A friend had an experience with it last year. Friend visiting when I was too to another friends place. In five minutes the pup found the rat bait hidden under a prickley bush. They had only placed about three to five grains there. Pup quickley after eating it was ill. Rushed to vets and treatment was long and slow. Dog did survive but what a scare it was. Only about three grains she ate. Yuck, how hiddeous is that stuff. I keep my house free of rodents by not having anything for them to eat available to them. Hope your pooch continues to make progress in her recovery.

Spelling!

Edited by KayeL

I don't need to use rat bait at home, I have three oversized "ratters" and 2 cats :thumbsup:

The rat stuff my girl ate was in the basement at work and as far as I can ascertain, it must have been a minute quantity that she swallowed :rofl:

Thanks for popping in Kayel :rofl:

Edited by pampa

Thank you for letting us know how it is going.

This, I am sure, will help people to be more aware.

I don't use rat bait, as I don't have the need. However I never had any idea that this could happen. Poor baby.

Hope it continues to get better for you both.

Bren

Hi there, me again...

I had a bit of a scare yesterday :laugh:

I took my girl out to the forest (on her own so as not to "over do it"), and she had a bit of a play and then we walked back home. I then took my other two monsters out for a run in the forest, leaving the little girl alone at home with the cats as per usual. Generally she sits behind the door and waits for our return so when I opened the door and saw a pool of blood... :( Panic...

Well, she came running over, as happy as Larry, with a bit of blood here and there on her coat, but not distressed in any way . I first wondered if shed killed one of the cats ( :laugh: ) so I bolted up stairs to find bloody paw prints all over the house but the 2 cats sleeping peacefully in their beds. *phew* The whole house smelt that tinny blood smell. yuck !

It turns out she'd simply sliced her paw pad open whilst I was out but that it had bled profusely, proving to me that her blood is still not clotting like it should be and that 20+ days after starting treatment for the bloody rat bait, things are still pretty much the same :laugh:

It is quite worrying and if there is no improvement by Thursday, I'll be off to the vets for tests.

I'd have never thought that this could drag along for so long considering the massive quantities of cagulating vitamin K1 shes on.

Apart from the bruising and the bleeding, she is her usual boistrous self, unbelievable really.

Oh Pampa! That's a bu#$g#r. Please let us know if you end up feeling you need to take her to the Vet's Thursday, and how she gets on there. In the meantime, lots of healing (and blood cleansing) thoughts coming your way.

Me AGAIN :(

OK, it finally got the better of me when, laying in the sun, I noticed that my girl has horrible purple bruising all around her anus, (maybe due to straining :laugh: ), anyway, I rang the vet.

I spoke to Dr Barbet last week who wanted to see her at the end of this week if there was no improvement, but his associate vet who works alone on Mondays, thinks it would be better if I bought her in tomorrow when they are both there, for specific blood tests. I also have to take the boxer in so his blood can be used as a "control"...

It is becoming very complicated now that we know the standard medication is not working efficiently and I've PM'd Dogbesotted for her help following her suggestion at the possibility of it being Thrombocytopenia... This illness in itself is so vast, I don't really know where to begin :laugh:

I'll know more in the next few days and I'll keep you updated :laugh:

Pampa,

I have PM'd you some links that may help to give you a broad oversight of thrombocytopenia -- also with autoimmune haemolytic anemia there is usually thrombocytopenia involved. some of these links I did not send you specifically 2 & 3

Is your dog on any other medications besides Vit K? as "" Immune mediated thrombocytopenia is associated with some medications, especially sulfa/trimethoprim

antibiotics. Other medications and treatments may suppress platelets

without inducing immune suppression, such as chemotherapeutic agents. Short

periods of thrombocytopenia may occur after vaccinations with modified-live

viruses. ""

For those interested thrombocytopenia is associated with: vaccine reactions, erlichiosis, babesiosis, cancer , infectious diseases and others.

here is an oversight but certainly not totally inclusive.

1. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_immun...mbocytopen.html

2. http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/immune%2...bocytopenia.htm

3. http://www.idexx.com/animalhealth/educatio...edge/200402.jsp