Maybe Not Rat Bait ?

pampa

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was on a tablet form of vit K1 and needed 7 per day ( I think) and a bottle of 100 cost $aud75.00.

I didn't get any opposition from the other half as I had asked him to get the other form of poison. Can't think of its name but after it has been ingested it is no longer poisonous to the other animals. This then makes me think that Talon has an "afterlife".

Although the dogs don't eat rats or mice they still like to play and they would obviously find dying ones around.

Except for the lack of blood clotting when he had his tests there was really no discernable difference to him. It was very hard to stop him and really hard to play ball etc with the others and he wasn't allowed. I had to lock him away so he couldn't see them playing.

Being a brindle coated dog it was difficult to see any bruising without wetting him down and parting the coat, but because he was confined we were able to keep that to a minimum.

I also think because we started treatment before we even went to the vet we got off on the right foot early. This was done through sheer panic, "Lets get started then call Tony"

Our initial enquiries from the poison hot line was taken by a very helpful lady who gave us the doseage needed calculated on weight but later when I called again I got a young man who said he couldn't help as the hot line "was for people not dogs". I have since found that this is not true.

I would encourage everybody to keep on hand Charcoal tablets and Vit C because vomitting is not always recomended, and Ipecac liquid for vomitting. These should be in all our dog med. kits.

I hope your girl is getting better every day.

Pampa - I've only just found this thread. Hoping your girl is better soon. I have found this information to be very helpful and thank goodness I haven't ever been in a situation like so many of you seem to have. I guess it is pure luck as I have garbage gutses for dogs.

I am interested to know how you make a dog vomit if you find them eating a bait. Not sure how i'd go about doing that if I needed to.

good luck with your girl (what is her name?)

Jo

Pampa - I've only just found this thread. Hoping your girl is better soon. I have found this information to be very helpful and thank goodness I haven't ever been in a situation like so many of you seem to have. I guess it is pure luck as I have garbage gutses for dogs.

I am interested to know how you make a dog vomit if you find them eating a bait. Not sure how i'd go about doing that if I needed to.

good luck with your girl (what is her name?)

Jo

The subject was bought up recently on the below thread, when a dog ate a cockroach trap...

There are many interesting ways to make your dog throw up with household products that most of us have on hand at all times...

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...1&st=&p=entry

Here are a few suggestions :

"Definately phone a vet. Depending on the ingredients you should induce vomitting by pouring salt or salt water down the throat...do it outside because it'll make a right awful mess"

"Unless the poison is corrosive like bleach you can give your pet a dose of mustard, salty water or washing soda crystals to make it sick. Only induce vomiting if it is less than 1 hour after ingestion."

"Another really quick way to make your dog vomit is to get a handful of butter/margarine and pack a couple of teaspoons of salt into the middle. Make it into a ball with the salt inside and drop it down your dogs throat. He will give you a very foul look in a minute or two and then dispose of everything in his stomach".

Edited by pampa

Except for the lack of blood clotting when he had his tests there was really no discernable difference to him. It was very hard to stop him and really hard to play ball etc with the others and he wasn't allowed. I had to lock him away so he couldn't see them playing.

I'm going through hell trying to keep my girl quiet... As soon as she has 2 metres² in front of her, she starts doing zoomies. The cut on her foot is much better (6 days now...) but each time she "goes mad", she just starts it bleeding again. The strange thing is, as I mentioned above, the paw DOES stop bleeding pretty well as soon as she settles down :laugh: One would think that this would mean that the blood IS cagulating correctly despite her being low on platelets :rofl: .

She finished her prescribed vitamin K treatment on Wednesday (25 days in all) but I'm wondering whether I should maybe keep her on it a bit longer :rofl:

Today she doesn't seem to have many bruises at all... Dare I hope she is improving or is it simply because yesterday I managed to keep her calm :)

Sheesh, Pampa .... I returned hoping for fantastic new of your girl's miraculous recovery. Still - it is good that she doesn't seem to have worsened any, and that there's not as much bruising. I'll continue to wish strongly for her healing.

The cut on her foot is much better (6 days now...) but each time she "goes mad", she just starts it bleeding again. The strange thing is, as I mentioned above, the paw DOES stop bleeding pretty well as soon as she settles down :rolleyes: One would think that this would mean that the blood IS cagulating correctly despite her being low on platelets :laugh: .

Hey Pampa,

Just wondering if the vet has done any other blood tests. It seems strange that she seems to have the blood clotting mechanism working OK.

How long since the vet did a blood clotting time test? I think I would ask for one, particularly as she has finished her course of vitK1.

That would tell you if she needs further vit. or not. If that count is OK then maybe you need to look at other things.

As I said we dosed and tested/counted for 10 weeks.

Just feed her up, maybe get some Incremin or whatever is used to increase the iron level in her blood. Good old liver is probably as good as anything.

Will keep checking on her.

Just wondering if the vet has done any other blood tests. It seems strange that she seems to have the blood clotting mechanism working OK.

How long since the vet did a blood clotting time test? I think I would ask for one, particularly as she has finished her course of vitK1.

Apparently, my vet cannot personally do a "coagulation" test :) We took blood again today which will be frozen and sent (in it's frozen state) to "vet france", our leading laboratory tomorrow. Apparently it is a very specific blood test that in 20 years experience, he has never had to perform (hence last weeks stuff-up :o ) I will have the coagulation test results on Thursday... This is the 1st one we have done since I first noticed the bruises over a month ago.

Is the complicated "coagulation" test I'm currently having done the same as the "blood clotting" tests you took out each fortnight ? Was is a "Prothrombin time (PT)" test or the other blood clotting test, called partial thromboplastin time (PTT) ? Did the blood have to be frozen before hand ?... (I don't know what the one we are doing is called)

She seems to have less bruises today and the ones that do appear seem to dissapear again within 24 hours.

The vet doesn't want to do any other tests until we "finally" get Thursdays results back...

Edited by pampa

Oh dear. Would you say overall she is progressing? Be it ever so slowly/slightly? If so that has got to be a sure sign that she will recover, even if she is doesn't get back to being 100%- something like this surely has to take a toll.

Does the vet not think mild sedation and/or crating is worthwhile to keep her calm? If not does that mean there is no harm done by the bruising and that its just a sign of the extent she has or hasnt healed?

Sorry Pampa...too many questions too late at night :)

Oh dear. Would you say overall she is progressing? Be it ever so slowly/slightly? If so that has got to be a sure sign that she will recover, even if she is doesn't get back to being 100%- something like this surely has to take a toll.

Does the vet not think mild sedation and/or crating is worthwhile to keep her calm? If not does that mean there is no harm done by the bruising and that its just a sign of the extent she has or hasnt healed?

Sorry Pampa...too many questions too late at night :rofl:

It is only 4pm here :rofl:

Yes Cactus, thank you, I feel she is slowly/slightly improving. She has stopped taking vitamin K and she SEEMS to be bruising a little bit less (or is it just that I'm working hard at limiting her play)... The vet doesn't seem to be overly worried about the bruises themselves because to date it is fairly evident that she has had no major haemorage whatsoever due to her pink mucouses and the confirmation of a high red blood cell count... He is strongly against sedating her (in case it reacts somehow on her clotting problem) and doesn't think she requires crating (just as well, she'd give me hell :o ) I just have to impeach her from plowing into her buddies...

The only thing that is really amuck is her low platelet count which is the direct cause of the bruising but that we cannot explain at the moment :)

Is the complicated "coagulation" test I'm currently having done the same as the "blood clotting" tests you took out each fortnight ? Was is a "Prothrombin time (PT)" test or the other blood clotting test, called partial thromboplastin time (PTT) ? Did the blood have to be frozen before hand ?... (I don't know what the one we are doing is called)

Hi Pampa

I don't remember what test there were as it was two years ago and I can't recall. There were two tests that he did. Both were done in his rooms with fresh blood and took all of 3-4 mins each.

I called in on the way home from work today to ask him and he was out with some horses so will call again tomorrow when I go past.

I'll see what I can find out as maybe it's not so complicated and just requires some coagulant additive which your vet may be able to get easily.

Thank you very much for passing by your vets place for me, it is much appreciated...

I'm wondering if my vet just told me is was a coagulation test to stop me from worrying :confused: ...

I'll have the results tomorrow and will post an update then :confused:

Hi, I'm so glad things appear to be getting better. I'm really sorry that I haven't answered you earlier but had a few problems here and there.

One being my daughter's rescued greyhound killed one of her cats. She is very distressed but unfortunately these things sometimes happen. I think what is upsetting her nearly as much is that her 14 yo step daughter witnessed the attack and she is not coping well.

Back to the blood test in case anybody else ever needs to know.

A blood sample is taken and an additive called silearth (silica earth) is added to the fresh sample in grey top vacutainers and if the blood doesn't clot within 1.5 mins then there is a problem.

Again, it appears that your girl has turned the corner, thank goodness.