Maybe Not Rat Bait ?

pampa

Well, the actual problem is that the Pred. makes her quite thirsty and thus makes her urinate a lot... A very long flight would mean she would be laying on soaken bedding which she'd hate.

Hi Pampa ... Ok, so at this moment in time, the major concern relates to excessive urination during the trip (aside, of course, for the usual concerns we'd have whenever our pets are being transported separate to us)?

If I'm being silly about this, please forgive me. In her travelling crate, can you have a "false floor" installed. The false floor to be made of hard wire mesh (close knit). Over the top, SOME padding, of sorts, for comfort. Although the padding would become wet, if she was to urinate, the bulk would at least opportunity to soak through and run away from the false floor, which is suspended a little above the real floor of the crate. ???????

Somehow, I can't help feeling I'm being naive here .... I'm sure there is more to the problems of travel given your girl's health issue and that my idea (above) is too simple to work properly.

I really hope your girl is "good to go", Pampa, in time for the trip. Sending you "merde" thoughts :banghead: (my fav French word of the Month :banghead:). It would be wonderful to know that, especially given what you've both gone/going through at the moment, she'd be able to stick with you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been weaning my girl off the Prednisone now for about three weeks and she is down to 10mgs every second day....

We had blood drawn on Tuesday to see how she was going, knowing that, until that same morning, I'd seen absolutely no sign of bruising... (In the waiting room, I did however notice a little red bruise behind her ear ;) )

Where we took the blood (and where I took off the hansaplast) came up in an immediate bruise and I feared the worst.

Blood tests are now back and she is back down to a 50,000 platelet count (bare minimum is 100,000 :) )

We are putting her back up to 10g per day, (which is half the ideal dose) in the hope she will produce enough platelets to keep her healthy, in doing as little damage as possible with the cortisone...

It is *suck and see* at the moment...

My vet advises me that long term cortisone is BAD for vital organs but the alternative cancer treating medication (chemo type drugs maybe :) ) are extremely expensive... Helen, could you please advise me to which drugs he may be refering ??

He was on his mobile so I didn't want to ask too many questions...

I'm quite distraught because I simply don't know where to head from here on in...

Edited by pampa

Oh Pampa, this is awful ;) :cheers:

I have no experience with this sort of thing so I can't offer any advice... But feel free to PM / email if you need a shoulder to cry on, I can offer that!

Take care and let us know how you go.

Dan :):)

Edited by zayda_asher

Oh, Pampa ..... I'm so sorry this is your news. You know I was hoping for something better. I have nothing to offer you other than empathy for the struggle you are going through and a shoulder and a sympathetic ear, should you need one at any time.

Keep being strong (as you can) .... and receive this with the hope in my heart that things will turn around and improve for your girl.

:)

Edited by Erny

Pampa,

I am sorry that the blood results have not improved. bugger!!!!! Immune mediated disease is sometimes also treated with Azathioprine/Imuran

here is some info:

1.Prednisone or prednisolone (1-2mg/kg PO q12h for at least 2 weeks or until marked

improvement in the platelet count is seen). Once the platelet count is within the normal reference range, the dosage should be gradually tapered over weeks to months.

Dexamethasone can be used initially (0.1-0.2 mg/kg IV q12h).

If the patient is unresponsive to corticosteroid, vincristine can be added (0.02-0.03 mg/kg or 0.5-0.75 mg/m2 IV once a week).

3In addition to the vincristine or alternatively to the vincristine, cyclophosphamide can be added (2.2 mg/kg or 50 mg/m2 PO q24h 3-4 days per week).

Blood transfusions if the anemia is severe and causing clinical signs

Platelet-rich plasma may be given if available.

the vincristine, cyclophosphamide( cylclosporin) are chemo drugs.

hugs.

Helen

Pardon my ignorance, Pampa .... but is your girl's suffering akin to Leukemia? Is that kind of what we're talking about here? Just sounds a bit like it to me .... not that I'm an expert in that field either.

Edited by Erny

Im so sorry Pampa, I had no idea that your little girl was so sick. I too cant offer much help except that I will be thinking of you guys, and hope your little girl gets better soon.

Hugs to you all over there from me and the furkids over here.

Mel

Yes Erny, it is a similar problem to Leukemia and we cannot rule *THAT* out either unless I decide to do a spinal/marrow tap...

The strange thing is though, is that she is neither lethargic nor anaemic :thumbsup:

On the contrary, she is as bright as a button since day one, never an *off* day, eats like a horse and has very pink, healthy colouring...whatever she has is, to date, fairly mild *running to touch some wood somewhere*...

The vet is a bit stumped, although, admittedly, he is not an expert in the field...

I'm hoping that 10mg per day of Pred. will be enough to keep her "just right", albeit on the low side of normal, at least until she has reached destination and got through quarantine, although that will be another adventure :laugh: (only 25 days to go :thumbsup: )

DBS, thank you for the priceless info above... I will print it off and discuss with the vet when we go back in 2 weeks, although, according to what he says, these options are VERY expensive ;)

We had a lovely day yesterday :rofl:

I went to a crazy girlfriends place who already has 3 dogs of her own and I went along with a mate, his Briard x boxer and my 3 buggers... (7 dogs in all !)

Maud lives right on the edge of a forest and has lovely clear dams, lots of land, lots of rabbits and too many blackberries.

The weather was delightful and we had the first BBQ of the year, first drop of Rosé and the dogs had their first swim.

My sick girl tore around like an idiot for over an hour when I noticed her vulva was covered in blood. :scold: As you know, we had reduced her medication right down and her platelets had dropped dramatically so I was worried about internal haemoraging but I'd let her run anyway, thinking to myself that what will be will be and that I couldn't keep her chained whilst the others enjoyed life.

Well, after the initial panic and lots of paper towelling I finally realised that she had ripped her "fanny" on the blackberries and was simply bleeding externally :laugh: This stopped almost immediately and apart from scratches and bruises all over her, she is fine :(

I'm glad I let her have a nice day even if it was a bit risky.

I'm off to the vet to get the blood tests of all three dogs and put a "protocol" in place for my sick girl, in preparation for travel. I can't bare the thought of leaving her behind :rofl:

oh Pampa just reading of your day with rabbits and blackberries and it sounds like one of those days that you take and hold and never lose sight of, a precious day.

I know your fears and I am with Erny and the false bottom crate. You know the stuff babies have in their nappies, those dry covers, could you sew a few together? they are called Pampas here :( those dry nappy things, that has to be a sign I reckon..

I am sure if you got her here she would cope with the kennels, the people are very kind.

thinking of you,thinking of you too Erny

Edited by Rusky

You know the stuff babies have in their nappies, those dry covers, could you sew a few together? they are called Pampas here :rofl:

:( How ironic.

Good idea, Rusky. I think the only thing I'd be concerned about there is if my dog decided to chew them off and swallow bits of it during the trip. :laugh:

thinking of you,thinking of you too Erny

Thank you, Rusky. The airwaves must be 'abuzz' with good healing thoughts at the moment. :scold:

Edited by Erny

I know your fears and I am with Erny and the false bottom crate. You know the stuff babies have in their nappies, those dry covers, could you sew a few together? they are called Pampas here :rofl: those dry nappy things, that has to be a sign I reckon..

:(:laugh::scold:

I needed a laugh, thank you rusky !

Dan and Erny, thanks to both of you for your constant support also, I'm needing it at the moment, trying to cope with selling my beloved house, packing, sifting through years of cherished garbage and having to chuck most of it, finding homes for the cats and my girls illness on top of it all is just a bit much for me to cope with all at once...

I'm looking into the false bottom crate for her, and have already bought some of those absorbant wipes that absorb 15 times their volume etc... to keep her as comfy as possible.

My vet seems to think she'll cope OK, probably better than my white girl who will panic the whole way :rofl:

Edited by pampa

Dan and Erny, thanks to both of you for your constant support also, I'm needing it at the moment, trying to cope with selling my beloved house, packing, sifting through years of cherished garbage and having to chuck most of it, finding homes for the cats and my girls illness on top of it all is just a bit much for me to cope with all at once...

I'm looking into the false bottom crate for her, and have already bought some of those absorbant wipes that absorb 15 times their volume etc... to keep her as comfy as possible.

My vet seems to think she'll cope OK, probably better than my white girl who will panic the whole way :eek:

Any time :) Its so hard having to pack everything up and sort through it isn't it?? :( Very stressful!

Good luck with it all... hope it goes as smoothly as possible!

Are you going to sedate your white girl?

Dan :laugh:

Pampa don't chuck the memories away even if you are paying good money for stuff that others may think of as crap. We have moved countries many times and I still have that rubbish. My advice is keep the cherished garbage and chuck or sell the good stuff, the good stuff can be replaced when you have money, the memories can't.

I am so pleased your girl will travel :laugh:

Pampa .... you know we're here for you every step of the way. You'll make it, and so will your dogs. Take one step at a time with the packing. It WILL all come together in the end, rest assured. And before you know it, you'll be on your way. Provided you and yours make it through, it doesn't really matter what else happens - it won't be the end of the world.

Take care, mate. It'll be ok. :laugh:

My girl is positive for Ehrlichiosis...

This was one of the main "reasons" for thrombocytompenia and DBS pointed this out to me months ago, but the vet said that, because the illness is "tropical"and is very rare up north, it is almost impossible that she'd caught it, especially seeing that she is treated all year against ticks, the carrier of the disease.

I'm "happyish" because at least this may explain the "why" she is bruising...

I am however very concerned, because her being positive makes her illegible for import...

We have started a shock treatment today in the hope we can get a negative result before departure, but this is unlikely :laugh:

Feeling a bit *shitty here*...

My girl is positive for Ehrlichiosis...

Oh, Pampa ....... I'm sorry the news wasn't more along the lines of "its xxxxx, and we give her an injection and she's cured". Bu#@er.

Although I have followed your thread, are you able to explain what Ehrlichiosis is again and also how 'shock' treatment could produce a 'negative' result to this condition? And why does Ehrilichiosis prevent import? Is it something that can spread from animal to animal (by way of tick, perhaps?)

Bloomin' 'ell. I can well imagine why you'd be feeling as you do. But as you said, you now know what you're working against and can treat for it, rather than a continued multiple of tests and guess work treatments.

Pampa - for small comfort that it is worth, we're right behind you and here to support whenever you need us.

DBS - Again, you're right on the button with the information you come up with. You're amazing.