Maybe Not Rat Bait ?

pampa

Geez Pampa, that is just awful  :cry:

Hope things continue to improve!!! This is the same poor girl you were so worried about before with the lump isn't it?

Big hugs to both of you.... take care of each other!

DanXO

Thanks Dan,

Yes this is the same girl who had the lump... Not cancer (luckily) but a "nodular fascitis" growth due to a fractured eye brow (arcade)... (most likely a playing accident :rolleyes: )

She is VERY strong and boistrous which means she is a bit accident prone but I'm beginning to believe she is made of indestructible materials :rofl:

She was so pitiful (pardon the pun :cry: ), when I found her, I'm pretty well amazed she is as hardy as she is... She only weighed 14kgs instead of the 30 she weighs today :cry:

Anyway, fingers are crossed and everyones support in this crisis have been really uplifting.

This was the "Christmas crisis"...

post-22-1139928825.jpg

Edited by pampa

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor baby - but sounds as though thing are definitely improving which is fantastic news :rolleyes:

You will probably have to "wrap her in cotton wool" for a little while longer till she is futher on in the recovery process. :cry: I know it is easier said than done with a doggy with a boistrous type personality who just wants to get out and there and play and have fun and have no idea of the danger they have been through, let alone the heart attack stress that you have suffered as a result :cry:

Sending our best wishes to the both of you for your full recoveries :cry:

Best wishes from me too ... what a relief that she will recover.

Your plight has educated a lot of people, including me ... your troubles may save the lives of other dogs. So something good may come out of the bad ... not as good as avoiding the bad but still something positive.

A question - are the ingredients of rat bait essentially the same worldwide? Is the stuff you're using over there Pampa the same as what's available here? Or are these symptoms the same regardless of the type of bait used?

Someone is baiting around our place ATM - we have killed 3 rats ourselves just this week (no bait), but we actually had a rat come into the lounge room 2 days ago convulsing, and we found another dead one on the back lawn. Fortunately the boys just pawed at it (trying to get it to play) and there were no open wounds, but that rat did certainly have visible bruising.

A question - are the ingredients of rat bait essentially the same worldwide? Is the stuff you're using over there Pampa the same as what's available here? Or are these symptoms the same regardless of the type of bait used?

Someone is baiting around our place ATM - we have killed 3 rats ourselves just this week (no bait), but we actually had a rat come into the lounge room 2 days ago convulsing, and we found another dead one on the back lawn. Fortunately the boys just pawed at it (trying to get it to play) and there were no open wounds, but that rat did certainly have visible bruising.

great question... does anyone actually know this..????. as there is bush near my place and also houses being built... and we do have a bit of a rat mouse problem here too i havent laid bait anywhere i have a clever cat..lol he is smart and just kills them. but im worried if one makes its way to the back yard that the dogs might not be so smart especially iron guts labrador here..lol

is it the same ingredients?? and have same side affects?

Ok, she is still fine and despite yesterdays bruising should be out of the woods :D

I was frightened of "jinxing" her but she is as tough as old Nick and I think I can safely say she will make it ...

Caff, it seems that baits are the same around the world and that there are 2 types...

The fast acting 24hour one (pain, convulsions, haemoraging etc.) which the rats suss out really quickly and subsequently stop eating.

Then there is the long action one which is what my girl ate. In France we almost exclusively use the latter as the rats are now a wake-up to the 24hour version...

Both are deadly in their own way...

I also read on another thread weeks back, converging opinions on dogs & cats playing with or eating infected rodents.

Most on the thread said it was very dangerous for dogs and cats to eat / play with dying/dead rats & mice that have been poisoned BUT a couple of people in "in the know" (supported by my vet) confirm that being poisoned by ingesting an already poisoned animal is not usually lethal to dogs nor to cats... It seems the poison is broken down by the animal that directly ingests it, making the poison ineffective on anyone else along the "food-chain" (otherwise we'd be indirectly poisoning all our fauna)...

After what I've just been through, I wouldn't wan't to try first hand, but apparently they'd have to eat tonnes of poisoned rodents to be in turn poisoned themselves.

Just be careful the rats don't drag any poison into your "jungle" :D

I'm NOT in the know, but I expect that the "long term" version of the poison would have more chance of digestion/absorption by the rat, than the "short term" version, when the digestive process would be interrupted by death. ??? I don't know, but it makes sense to me. :D Still, like you Pampa, I wouldn't want to chance it.

Great that she's still coming through ok. :D

Pampa, keeping my fingers crossed for you poor girl. Big (gentle) hugs to her.

After putting it off and putting it off, begging and pleading with my resident mice to vacate the premises, last week I had to buy mice bait for the first time (I even cried when I purchased it). Humane traps didn't work, the mice worked out how to get out of them. I am totally paranoid about the baits and the possibility of my dogs getting to them. I've put baits in the spare bedrooms that the dogs don't have access to, and a couple up high in the kitchen. One night it occurred to me that what if the dogs ingest a mouse poo? The next morning I got up to find that what I thought was a poo in the middle of the loungeroom floor was in fact a chewed up mouse. I phoned the manufacturs of Talon, made here in Oz and was told the following:

While the packet states most deaths occur within 4-7 days, it can take up to 12 days for the animal to die.

Mouse droppings will not harm domestic pets as the poison stays in the rodent's body and any poison that may be in the poo would be of such minor volume it would have no effect.

Chewing on a dead mouse killed by Talon will not harm your pet, apparently the amount needed to kill a dog is in the region of 400grams. (Not sure I believe that one.)

While it was reassuring, I am still not taking any chances! My dogs used to be able to get under the house, but I've now tied up some old gates to the area they could sneak in to, just in case there are carcasses around. The Talon guy also said that the poison makes the rodents very thirsty so they often will leave the house in search of water. I've put water bowls in the spare rooms in the hope they'll use them instead of my dogs water bowls.

I've recovered 2 chewed-up mice so far - and keeping a close eye on the dogs too. I've got into the habit of doing a quick reccie around the living areas and verandahs before I let them out the bedroom in the morning, just in case.

Living in a rural area means that mice are going to be an ongoing problem for me, but the sooner I can get rid of the baits the better. The mice have even got onto the spare bed, and I noticed they took a pellet up there with them. So those sheets will be put onto the hottest cycle my washing machine can handle!

Someone showed me some industrial mouse traps used with baits - like big box with a hole in them, lockable so that domestic animals can't get to the baits. Very hard to get hold of unfortunately.

So everyone needs to be vigilant, if you think your pet has eaten a bait get it to a vet, 12 days is a long time to wait, and it amy be too late. Pampa, your girl is very lucky, she is obviously a fighter!

hi all

their seems to be a mouse and rat problem at the moment, here i was thinking i was unique lol :D

Humane traps didn't work, the mice worked out how to get out of them

on this situation i would place the rat bait in side of the humane trap, this way your dogs can't eat it, and the mice and rats can come and go as they please so to speek, you can also moniter how often the rodents are getting in their by the amount eatin.

Someone showed me some industrial mouse traps used with baits - like big box with a hole in them, lockable so that domestic animals can't get to the baits. Very hard to get hold of unfortunately.
ask at the local farm center, or dog pound/bording facility.
So everyone needs to be vigilant, if you think your pet has eaten a bait get it to a vet, 12 days is a long time to wait, and it amy be too late

after going through a scare my self, as long as you know what product/type the dog ate (call poisens info line 24 houre servace) and then you call the vet pass on the info from the poisens info line, they will advise you on what to do (doing it this way will save you money and time). if it is the slow acting one they (vet) will wate around 3 days as the tests will be negitave before this time (apparently), get you in and do the blood test the results will be avalable that day. however if it was the fast acting one get their asap, spent the $50 to get the dog tested and start treetment asap.

as for poisining by eating poisend animals, it is possable but extreemly unlikly to cause death or serious ingeries. when i was reading up on the effects i came accros a studdy that found some thing like 80% of dogs that eate rat bait will pass the rainbow bridge, but some thing like 5% will show signs of poisining after consuming poisend rodents, verry few to non will die from the secondary form of poisining ie eating a few poisend rodents.

Both are deadly in their own way...

actually the same way one just has a delaid reaction. they are both anty coagulents.

please be vigalent every one, it is hart braking just thinking your dog has eatin this stuff, let allone going through what pampa has.

pampa good vibes going your way, keep your dog quiet for a little longer just to be safe.

Edited by petmezz

Thats great that shes slowly recovering Pampa. I would never touch rat posion or snail bait again after my experience and whenever i see them in the supermarket it sends a shiver down my spine. Hope those bruises heal up quickly and you will be able to play with her again in no time. She definatley looks like a tough cookie to me. :D

Pampa, I too have only just found this thread !!

OMG :D How awful!!!!! So glad that she looks like making a complete recovery. Sending prayers your way that it's all smooth sailing from here.

Thinking of you and your beautiful girl :D ;) :D

I am so glad your baby is getting better. :D

On a different note, I am not a big fan of rats or mice, but this seems awfully cruel to kill them that way doesn't it?

I don't want them either, but when you realise how they die it is really shocking. I am suprised that someone hasn't stopped this kind of stuff from being sold. Can you imagine if someone's children ate one????

But very glad to hear there is a big improvement, and I hope things keep getting better.

Ok, she is still fine and despite yesterdays bruising should be out of the woods  :D

I was frightened of "jinxing" her but she is as tough as old Nick and I think I can safely say she will make it ...

Hi Pampa, Just seen those photos ouch!

I guess she's really made out of inderstuctable materials ;)

So glad she has pulled through for you :D