Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pampa

Maybe Not Rat Bait ?

199 posts in this topic

pampa   

Suezija, thanks for the technical answer...

I'm so sorry to hear that your family has had a sad, stressful time with their pets and rescue dogs... Is your daughter a DOL member :rofl: If she is in fact "TTlover", please pass on my sympathy to her for the loss of her beloved moggy :rofl:

Edited by pampa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pampa,

sure sounds like your girl has turned the corner, a huge phew! . I checked with my vet too about the coagulation tests...but suezija has already given the same info.

lets hope it is all smooth sailing from now one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
suezija   
Is your daughter a DOL member :confused: If she is in fact "TTlover", please pass on my sympathy to her for the loss of her beloved moggy :cry:

Yep, that's the "brat". (lol)

She does really feel things and at present things are really not going her way. Send a few little happy thoughts her way.

She'd rescue the world if she could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pampa   
Pampa,

sure sounds like your girl has turned the corner, a huge phew! . I checked with my vet too about the coagulation tests...but suezija has already given the same info.

lets hope it is all smooth sailing from now one.

Unfortunately not DBS... She started bruising again last Thursday and my vets immediately contacted a haemotologist (sp?) specialising in auto immunity problems.

They now think it has nothing to do with rat bait :wave:

It seems that her platelets must have gone up a bit, hence the improvement the week before last, then, for some unknown reason, her body has knocked out the platelets again in the last few days :wave:

She is now on a fairly high dose of Cortisone (Prednisone which is the generic equivalent of Cortancyl here), for 3 weeks to see how she goes.

Obviously she is drinking and peeing heaps with the treatment and has a salt restriction, but apart from that, she seems fine, the usual glutten and full of energy.

I started the treatment yesterday and today the existing bruises are almost resorbed and no new ones have appeared :thumbsup:

Does cortisone take effect immediately :D

If the cortisone does help her state, what might be wrong with her :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pampa   
when my boy Morris had thrombocytompenia..they initially thought it may have been rat bait and tested his blood coagulating time. apparently that was in the normal range. so the vet suspected Thrombocytopenia so blood was driven ( by me) to the lab on the saturday. The needle prick where they took his blood from would not stop bleeding and he developed a haematoma the size of a medicine ball ..it was scary. he had his first blood transfusion that night. Morris was an acute case and I could see him deterioriate by the minute. It is possible for the thrombocytopenia not to be severe or acute...in which case other symptoms may not be present.

By the way, the vet has written his own notes in a corner of the prescription, "thrombocytopenic purpura of unknown origin ??? Marrow tap ???" :confused:

Anyway, I'm back to reading your links again Dogbesotted :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh bugger, blast and damn.!

The good thing ( if there is one ) is that the thromboctopenia is not acute. Cortisone is the drug of choice for autoimmune problems. Morris was on pred for a long time.

Pred is not good for the liver, so speak to the vet about some liver support ( maybeSt Marys thistle which helps protect the liver). Immune system support from holistic meds is not a bad idea if at all possible.

Thrombocytpenia is a symptom of quite a few diseases and that includes cancer ( there I have said it as much as i did not want too).

I suspected that Morris had something else going on that was not obvious. but 18 months later he developed lymphoma ( I do not know if the thrombocytpenia was the first indication of something starting to go wrong). I will add here that Morris' thrombocytopenia was acute and from the first signs of the purpura in his mouth within 12 hours he was literally at deaths door.

Keeping yopur girl in my thoughts and prayers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Erny   

Pampa - what a nightmare for you! I was only thinking last night about your girl and wondering how she was faring. I figured no knews was good news and decided not to tempt fate by asking.

So sorry to hear this turn of events, but I do hope the Vet can draw a conclusion as to what's wrong soon, and that the remedy/treatment is an easy one with swift and good results.

Hugs to you both from me and Kal. :confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pampa   
Thrombocytpenia is a symptom of quite a few diseases and that includes cancer ( there I have said it as much as i did not want too).

Knowing that we had a osteosarcoma scare before Christmas, my vet is "worried" to say the least... He will take blood again in 2 weeks to make sure the platelets are up. Then, I guess, we'll wean her off the Pred. to see what happens :confused:

Whatever the case, I'm going to have to find a solution before mid may as she will be taking a long plane trip and will not be able to if she is still on Pred, due to the thirst and urinating probs related to the medication...

In addition to the great threads you posted in the past that I re-read yesterday, I also found 2 other wonderful threads on Thrombocytpenia... I'll post them here if anyone is interested (the second one is an Australian, independant pure-bred website with some great, simple info on many subjects. Well worth a visit even if one doesn't appreciate lowchens :( ).

http://www.vetinfo.com/dthrombo.html#Immun...A%20and%20Evans

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/imt.htm

BTW, today we took our 3rd Pred pill. No new purpura, no petichiae and the old ones have all dissapeared miraculously...

I also learned that heartworm disease is also a reason for Thrombocytpenia. I've just bought some medication for her in preparation/prevention for her trip, but I'll now be having her tested for heartworm before treating her, just in case...

Edited by pampa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geez Pampa, you guys just aren't getting a break are you? Hope you get some answers soon and things pick up!!

DanXO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Pampa,

After reading this thread in its entirety, I just thought I would mention that seven years ago after using Frontline spray on my dog, he suffered a severe allergic reaction which resulted in Vasculitis and other complications which killed him. :cheers:

My very best wishes for your dog.

Edited by schnauzer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't read this thread in forever and can't believe you're still have problems Pampa - healing thoughts sent your way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pampa   

Thank you all for your support, it is greatly appreciated...

We've been on 20mgs of Prednisone (cortison) now for one full week and my girl is just fine. This is both good and bad considering all I've read recently on Thrombocytpenia and auto-immune problems...

Her first blood test BEFORE starting on the medication showed a platelet count of 21,000 which is 5 times less than the 100,000 considered "the satisfactory minimum" and this is why she was bruising (platelets help stop tiny "micro-leaks" in blood vessles so if there are not enogh platelets to stop the "leak", a bruise appears)... My vet only wants to give her new blood tests (to check the platelet count again), in 8 days or so, 2 full weeks after beginning the cortisone treatment to stop her immune system from destroying her own platelets by mistake, which seems to be the problem at the moment :D

I will of course post back once we've done the 2nd test :)

Cheers for now :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Erny   
My vet only wants to give her new blood tests (to check the platelet count again), in 8 days or so ... I will of course post back once we've done the 2nd test :rofl:

Fingers crossed for a happy conclusion to these troubles, Pampa. Get well wishes to your girl. :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
suezija   

Just checking on your girl as I have been so busy the last two weeks that I haven't even had time to check my mail.

So I'm hoping that no news is good news.

Keep us posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pampa   

Thanks Suezija for the concern...

She is still on the Prednisone and apart from being a bit thirstier and hungrier than usual, shes fine, no more bruising so it is confirmation that her auto-immune system is mistaking her platelets as "enemies" and discarding of them by error...

We are going in for new blood tests on Tuesday to see how her platelet level is now that the Prednisone has suppressed her auto-imune system and thus stopped it from discarding of the healthy platelts by accident...

I will post on Thursday or Friday when I have the test results back.

Cheers for now :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Erny   

Will be thinking of you and your girl on Tuesday, and looking out for your (hopefully good news) post later in the week, Pampa.

Merde!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pampa   
Merde!

I didn't pick up on that, thanks mate :banghead:

We got the blood results back today and as suspected, her platelet count is up to the low end of "normal"... 1000 is a minimum and she's at 1050 which is just acceptable, so, as suspected, we will wean her off the Pred. in the next fortnight to see if her platelets go down again as I suspect they will :banghead:

I'm now wondering where to go from here knowing we have a big life change/country change/vet change and bloody long flight ahead of us soon.... As my Mum said, is it wise to make her travel if she is ill :banghead:

I'm trying not to be selfish, but....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Erny   
I'm trying not to be selfish, but....

Hi Pampa .... I'm afraid I've never been involved in flight travel with pets, nor do I have the knowledge required as far as your girl's condition/problem is concerned, to make much comment on whether it would be ok to travel or not.

Based on this total lack of understanding, I ask:

If she's been "ok" whilst on the Pred, can she remain on it for the purpose of the flight? If she was mildly sedated, would that not keep her calm and quiet, to prevent bruising if she were to move around too much?

What's the alternative, Pampa? Is it what I'm thinking?

What is the worst she is likely to suffer (as a result of her condition, that is) due to the flight?

What's the life expectancy/prognosis with her condition?

Pity you can't disguise her as a person and book a seat next to you for her :banghead:

And finally, whatever option you chose, do not consider yourself selfish. Look at all you have done and try to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh damnation! Pampa.

I can see where you are coming from. I too would be worried under the same circumstances. Stress is obviously going to be a factor, not just the flight itself but also the quarantine time. Have a good talk with your vet and specialist as to what they feel.

I am still keeping your girl in my thoughts and prayers

hugs

Helen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pampa   
If she's been "ok" whilst on the Pred, can she remain on it for the purpose of the flight? If she was mildly sedated, would that not keep her calm and quiet, to prevent bruising if she were to move around too much?

What's the alternative, Pampa? Is it what I'm thinking?

What is the worst she is likely to suffer (as a result of her condition, that is) due to the flight?

What's the life expectancy/prognosis with her condition?

Well, the actual problem is that the Pred. makes her quite thirsty and thus makes her urinate a lot... A very long flight would mean she would be laying on soaken bedding which she'd hate.

It is not recommended to sedate animals in flight because once again, it can heighten thirst and coming out of sedation is often more stressful than not being sedated at all. I don't think she will be too stressed out by the trip (nothing stresses her out !) and she probably is "safe" crated, even without any prednisone for a couple of days and knowing her, she'll enjoy the pound no end !

As far as her bruising goes, she hasn't had one single problem since starting the medication.

I'm praying it won't come back after weaning her off the Pred.

If it does, we'll experiment to see how low a dose of cortisone is necessary for her platelets to remain stable and stop her bruising. It may be necessary to treat her for the rest of her life, it is too early to know.

Apparently, the general prognostic for minor cases of thrombocytopenia is pretty good, once again, that depends on what the underlying cause is... As yet we have no idea what is causing her immune system to go hay-wire...

Lots of questions and not many answers, it is infuriating, as you too well know Ern...

(only 5 days to go until Kal's ultrasound :banghead: )

Will let you know how it goes...

DBS, how is Lucinda at the moment ?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×