Sam

Sam-and-his-ball.jpg

This photo is badly damaged but it is one of the few I have.

Sam-in-wheelbarrow.jpg

This is Sam. He left me in July 2000, aged 10 years. The photos are not the best because they are photos of photos - I don't have a scanner.

Sam went from appearing to be fit and well to being put to sleep in a matter of two days. The vet didn't know what had happened, just that his organs had shut down, his gums were white and he was unable to eat and water poured right back out of his mouth when he tried to drink.

When the vet put him to sleep he wagged his tail one last time, his eyes were closed and I didn't even know he was gone until the vet said it was done. He just looked like he was asleep.

I cut a lock of his fur and kept his collar along with his favourite ball - the one in the photo.

It was hard to come to terms with Sam's passing because it was so sudden, one day I had a happy and healthy dog and two days later he was gone. I had him buried in the country with a beautiful view of the hills just outside of Canberra.

Sam was very special, he took ownership of my heart when I was 11 years old and kept me going through some pretty tough times. He was at times the only one I could talk to and he always understood.

I still miss Sam, I still talk to him, he was my first and he is so special.

Love every day with your best friends, their lives are all too short. There is no time to hold grudges if they dig up the garden or pull your washing off the line, every day is precious.

Edited by CodyD

So sorry to hear of the loss of your Sam in July 2000 :laugh: - he was a very handsome boy and you must have some wonderful childhood memories with him. To lose your beloved Sam so quickly and without reason, is a double whammy and I so feel for you.

Our beloved babies, very quickly take hold of our hearts and are always there for us and help us through some of the most difficult times of our lives. My own darling Cassie, my black lab who I lost in September 1999 used to just lie there and be so comforting and loving as I cuddled her and drenched her in a river of tears during one of the most difficult times of my own life. They listen, they don't judge and love you unconditionally, what more could you ask for in life. :laugh:

Keep talking to Sam as he has such a special place in your heart and will be loved and remembered by you for a lifetime. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Sam looks like a beautiful dog. I had a similar experince of my girl "blackberry" being a healthy 4 1/2 yo kelpie cross pitbull to over a matter of days going paralysed in the back end, i took her to the spinal clinic in melbourne where it was found that her spinal fluid was inflammed, we tried medication but nothing helped and after 2 heart breaking week i decided the best thing for her was to let her be in peace, as she was starting to really get sad. That was in August 2002 and not a day goes by where i don't think of her. I think that the kindest thing a person can do is let their dog go when they are suffering. It gets me mad when people keep suffering dogs alive for their own sake. You should have some peace in knowing that you did the kindest thing for Sam. My thoughts are with you.

• 3 weeks later...