Would You Chose A Mobile Franchise

Ittybitty_

Hey Guys,

Im after some feedback from everyone..

If you were looking for someone to groom your dogs ie. Clip, bath, groom, nails, ears etc.

What would you prefer?

A franchise? (Current survey says that most franchise buyers are trained through the franchise establisher)

OR

Someone who has over 11 years experience, in all of the above and more, who has also practiced in vet clinics, and as a groomer at the RSPCA? AND has groomed show dogs of their own and other breeds, therefore has experience in show clips aswell.

?? Would love some feedback :D

Thanks everyone

Roxie

When I was a groomer i started off mobile and built up a client base then went to home based, most of my clients stayed with me but the ones that couldnt be bothered bring their dogs to me where the ones that only had the dogs in their backyard to say they had a dog...if you know what I mean :D So I think that people who really care about their dogs will chose someone with experiance over a franchise. ;)

Whether they own a franchise or not I would be wanting to know their experience. While I did own a franchise for several years before going out on my own, the number of people with no real grooming and even general dog knowledge who owned them used to (and still does) make me shudder. I was shocked how easy it was to just buy a franchise and start grooming without having a clue what they were doing past the basic 'you give the dog a bath'.

Personally I would probably steer clear of the franchise if you are not sure exactly what or who you will be getting.

Hard for me to say as I do dog washing myself, But before I did I picked a franchise only becuase it was convient having them come to me (Riley gets car sick).

They guy that did it though did have alot of experience.

Business wise though - I started up a small dog washing business from home and its been great. I find alot of my clients have changed from a mobile franchise to me - I get the impression that they always thought mobile groomers "rushed the job". Also Ive heard bad stories about them not using fresh water.

IMHO Id stay away from the franchises

If i had 'normal' pet dogs i wouldnt really care who washed them, personally would probably go for the cheapest but seeing as i show them i cant have the groomer cutting of hair or just doing something totally wrong so i will and do go with a groomer that has the more experience especially in the show ring.

To find a groomer with show ring experience is good as not all showies have their own hydrobath to do their own dogs.

I looked into this also when I toyed with the idea of going into grooming.

People love the idea of a mobile groomer because of the lifestyle we lead but the problem is that you are severly limited when you buy a franchise to a certain area.

Much cheaper to go out on your own and set up your own mobile business

Rox - a friend of mine down here is run off her feet and cannot keep up with the work in our area, there is a huge demand where I live. Maybe you better move in with palane :(

there are no mobile franshice operators on the Sunshine Coast who clip, and the only grooming is a quick all over brush, so the concentration is on the hydrobath.

I looked into franchises both here and in NZ and really did my homework, e.g. set up costs, training provided etc.

In both instances I decided to go it alone and had my mobile service for 6 years in NZ. I made an effort to do a diploma in dog grooming and clipping, and courses in animal care, and was lucky enough to have a friend who had trained in the UK in various "areas" and had been a professional groomer for 50 years, so she taught me a lot.

Whether or not you are just washing a dog it is to be hoped you at least have some knowledge of skin and coat problems and can choose a shampoo best suited to that dog. If you are clipping and grooming then there is a lot more involved.

As with most things it is experience which counts even if you have to pay a bit more.

A pick up and delivery service is a great idea for those who are home based but with petrol on the rise again you either need to build that in to the cost or state that you will add a small fee for this.

(Cant think how to quote!!) but Wagsalot I have even heard that the vet clinics dont change the water either.

Sorry that was supposed to read as far as I am aware ( from what I have been told) there are no ......

(Cant think how to quote!!) but Wagsalot I have even heard that the vet clinics dont change the water either.

Sorry that was supposed to read as far as I am aware ( from what I have been told) there are no ......

Yeah it seems to be a very common thing. :shakehead:

Guest LittlePixie

Maybe it's silly but... the way the home business was advertised and how much I'd heard about it would make a big difference.

I just don't know that I'd trust someone "off the street" with my dog... a franchise SOUNDS more trustworthy, I suppose because you'll usually have heard of the business before.

The experience sounds good but... I know a few people who claim to have been "in dogs" since they were knee-high to a grasshopper and by all accounts they seem to have spent those countless years with earplugs in and a blindfold on ;)

If the home business had pictures of dogs that they had done on hand to show me... detail on what clips they could do, what experience they have etc... even their OWN dogs there to see that they were well-groomed etc... although advertising can be misleading, I'd probably be more inclined to go with them then...

Maybe this all sounds silly and shallow... I'm just thinking of the reactions customers at work have had to a pamphlet someone printed up on their home computer with a cartoon dog on the front, typos etc, compared to another business which has a shiny business card with a photo of a beautifully groomed long haired dog on it... even though I know both of them, and the first person is better, everyone takes the latter one...

Hope I made some vague sense at least.

What about if the home business had free pick up and delivery??

Free pick up and delivery would be fantastic! It's really hard getting to do anything with dogs when you don't have transport. I would love for someone to bath and groom my dogs for a price I could afford, but I can't get anywhere, so it makes it virtually impossible.

The main thing I always look for with anything to do with my dogs is can that person do the job and is that person going to great my dogs the way I expect them to be treated. If yes to both and it's a fair price (and something great like free pick up and delivery) then that's the person I'd go with.

the one with the experience.

I rang a Franchise who said she was trained. silly me she was trained for 6 weeks by the previous owner. She could never do the paws.

There is a person who has 12 years experience who now works from home. Even my vet asked you had done him last time he saw him. It was the best job I had ever seen.

At present she does pick up and delivery for a little extra. If she did not I am more than willing to take a cab to her place she did such a great job.

First she trims, then washes and blow dries then uses scissors to get the line straight all for a DD.

Even when it grows it grows well.

Any franchise I have been too I was not happy.

when I am walking we with SWF are always talking about groomers so she is getting a few word of mouths. :thumbsup:

We had a franchise (biggest lawn mowing one) and it is something I would NEVER do again, they promise the earth, and give you NOTHING, they take your monthly fees, and run, even when we decided to sell, they didnt try, advertise etc, to sell for us, like they are supposed to, and we ended up GIVING it to them, cause we had lost most of our customers once we gave it to them to look after, we had a job shift, and the terms are that we get them to find someone to work our round for us till its sold, and they just passed the customers around till we had nothing to sell, anyway.

As a customer, we had a private bloke, cause we couldnt find anyone, there is no advertising here, so we got who we could find, I think, if you advertise heaps, you are more than likely to get people, I would definately get a private person to take after my animals anyday.

I have a "portfolio" of before and after shots of dogs which I have either clipped or groomed including a cocker spaniel which was so badly matted that we took 1 1/2 kilos of hair off, now that is one hell of a lot of coat considering hair weighs so little.

:cry:

poor cocker spaniel!!! ill bet you had your hands full with that one!!!

definantly go with the home-owned, but always ask for experience, qualifications and if possible, before and after shots... it would also be preferrable if they were members of P.I.A.A.

when I was looking into starting up a training business, I looked into franchises (i.e. dog tech, barkbusters, etc) I was pretty disapointed in the lack of support available and the fees etc that must be paid (not to mention the bad name that comes with some of those franchises!)... having your own business is definantly the way to go...