Ollie Dog

Staffyluv

Ollie went to have his blood work done today to make sure his blood cell counts were OK and the vet found another tumour... He has done a needle biopsy but is pretty sure that it will come back Mast Cell...

Ollie has also been gaining weight and this has escalated to 1 kg in 10 days... So the vet took more blood this morning and is going to do a complete screening for liver/kidney function etc...

Vet thinks that the chemo may have affected his thyroid (resulting in the weight gain)...

Our wonderful vet also wants to do more xrays to see if he can see any shadows of tumours in his tummy...

Will have to wait until tomorrow or Friday for the results...

You should have seen the little guy, sitting up very still and very straight for his blood test - he is so much braver than I am... I don't think I can bear it, if they find more things wrong with him :cry:

Just a bit down after this mornings vet visit.. I will be OK - just needed a vent...

Thanks

Jodie

Edited by Staffyluv

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how brave they are isn't it. What a little trouper Ollie is.

I know what it's like to be at the vet all the time and I sympathize.

Hugs to you and Ollie, and I really hope things start to get better soon.

Oh bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is the new tumour? same place as the first or elsewhere?

It is possible for unrelated MCTs to pop up and they can be different grades too.

Prednisolone causes water retention and bloating....Lucinda gained weight when she was on pred. High doses of pred cause symptoms similar to Cushings.

""Iatrogenic Hyperadrenocorticism: The third cause of Cushing's is one that we can create ourselves if we give a dog too much external glucocorticoid, especially for chronic conditions like allergies. We essentially do what the adrenal tumor would do by flooding the dog's body with an excess of corticosteroid. Although both the adrenals and pituitary will attempt to respond to our interference by cutting ACTH and cortisol secretion, if we continue to bombard the dog's body with too much glucocorticoid, symptoms of Cushing's disease will result. The reason dogs are given tapering doses or every-other-day doses of steroids like prednisone is to avoid this consequence. Dogs with this form of Cushing's tend to have two very small, atrophied adrenal glands. Nonetheless, if iatrogenic (veterinary-induced) hyperadrenocorticism develops, it is fully reversible. The external source of steroid is slowly withdrawn to allow the adrenals to "wake up" and resume functioning. ""

Keeping all fingers and paws crossed here. Ollie is tucked into my hearts and prayers

Oh bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is the new tumour? same place as the first or elsewhere?

It is possible for unrelated MCTs to pop up and they can be different grades too.

It is in a different site to the others...

Thanks for the info Helen - what would I do without you???

Thanks to all for your good wishes... Was feeling quite down after being at the vet this morning but feel much better now...

Cheers

Jodie and Ollie dog...

You should have seen the little guy, sitting up very still and very straight for his blood test - he is so much braver than I am... I don't think I can bear it, if they find more things wrong with him ;)

Sure you can sweetheart, you just gain your strength from looking into those gorgeous big eyes.

Thinking of you :cry:

Lots of Love

Riles

We had some news today...

Blood work is all good... So chemo goes ahead tomorrow...

The needle biopsy was inconclusive for the new tumour, so we are looking at a full knock out to do a full biopsy and the vet wants to do an xray to see if there are any shadows inside (re: tumours internally)...

Fingers crossed for us, that they don't find anything...

Jodie

Oh Jodi, I'm both sad and at the same time, glad for you... It is wonderful news that his blood tests are good. Bad news that he has another lump, but good news the "biopsy" hasn't come back blatently positive... Have you already had lung xrays done or is it on the list next visit ?...

Enough pawsitive vibes coming your way to knock anything nasty off in a flash :rofl: Desperately hoping that all is "well" with the next set of tests. Chin up sweetheart :thumbsup:

Well we finally have some great news...

The new lump is just a lipoma - it is NOT a mast cell...

Ollie is still a bit groggy from the surgery today to biopsy the lump...

I went and got a BBQ chicken so he can have some for dinner (it is his absolute favourite food)...

Once again, I would like to thank you all for your support and advice...

Thanks

Jodie

:rolleyes: that is wonderful news Jodi :cheer:

Did you have some more xrays done whilst he was under the anaesthetic ?

Enjoy the roast chook, both of you ;)

No the vet seemed to think that they were not necessary... He said he gave Ollie a good going over and had a really good feel of his tummy whilst he was under and that his tummy felt normal (nothing out of the ordinary)...

He could not have his chemo today, as he has a nasal infection (due to something that he has sniffed up)... The vet checked his nose and could not see anything but decided to flush his nasal cavities to make sure... We have to book in for chemo next Tuesday now...

He did meet the most adorable little red stafford girl, who was there with her mum for her second vaccination - she was so sweet...

He is very sooky tonight... He does not deal well with anaesthetic, poor little fella... But I am sure he will be up with the birds tomorrow, wanting to go for a walk...

Cheers

Jodie