Ollie Dog

Staffyluv

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had the most excellent week :rofl:

The little trooper has walked about 2km everyday and loved every minute of it... He is not so hungry any more either but still drinking a lot...

He is even playing with his toys... He is bringing them to every one that comes to visit - even the workmen that are here to rewire the house and put the new roof on...

And for the first time in months, he tried to jump up on my bed (he did not quite make it as it is pretty high)... But at least he tried... Before he had taken to sleeping on the floor all the time as he did not have the energy to even climb up on the lounge...

He has lost about 3/4 of a kg but still has a way to go, as he put on 5kg all up...

His chemo was delayed again this week, but that is OK.. He seems to take a little longer than the 7 days between treatments to get his blood cell count back up... So he is off for chemo later today...

Thanks for all the good wishes

Cheers

Jodie and Ollie dog

yippee! gotta love that (fat) little guy.

With Lucinda it took a little while for her holistic meds to kick in I think. They do not take effect as quickly as the other stuff. Ollie sounds the same. =For the first weeks after surgery Lucinda was in terrible shape ...but when she bounced back she bounced high.

Hugs

I spoke too soon...

Last night we spent the whole night with the boy pacing and vomiting... I have checked his temp and it is not outside the normal range, so probably no infection... I will keep checking it today and if he is no better by lunh time, I will call our vet and let him know... ;)

I have taken all food off him and he has spring water to drink (he is not even drinking at the moment)...

He still wanted to go for a walk this morning but it was only a short walk - he was just too tired, from being up all night... (He is sleeping at my feet as I type)...

I often wonder, if he really does want to go for a walk or does he do it because it is something we have always done... Being a stafford, he probably thinks he is taking me for my daily walk :thumbsup:

Hopefully it is just a response to the chemo yesterday afternoon....

Cheers

Jodie

Poor boy!

From what others have said on the canine cancer list...it does sound like Ollie is reacting to the chemo from yesterday. Any possibility of speaking with the oncologist and getting him some meds to settle any nausea he may have?

what chemo ddid he get yesterday and I'll post a question on canine cancer list and hopefully get back with some personal experiences.

Loads of hugs

Hi Helen,

His chemo protocol is: (3 week cycle)

Week 1: Vinblastine (Intravenous)

Week 2: CCNU-Lomustine (5 tablets)

Week 3: nothing

Then it starts again - we are up to week 14... The chemo goes for 22 weeks, so we have weeks 16, 17, 19, 20 and 22 still to go...

I tried to get him to eat a little BBQ chicken (just the breast meat) but he was not interested... The youngest son was eating a scotch finger biscuit and offered him a little bit and he ate that... He does not really seem like he is hungry, so I will just let him go until dinner time... Then I will offer him a little chicken and some pureed carrot and zucchini... He is drinking OK, so I am not worried about him dehydrating...

He is also taking (daily):

2 x Vit C (500mg)

1 x Omega 3 fish oil (1000mg)

1 x AntiOx Excel (Comprehensive anitoxident and free radical scavenger)

1 x Lymphodran (Quercetin plus rutin - nutritional supplement)

1 dropper of five mushroom extract

6 x Oroxine (200mg) for his thyroid

And once a week he has an eye dropper of Caucinosin (herbal drops for the cancer)

He just finished a course of Noroclav 200mg for a minor infection in his nose...

Thanks

Jodie

Staffyluv,

here is some info received back.

The group sends heaps of prayers for Ollie as well ( and they form a pretty powerful prayer circle too)

http://www.southpaws.com/news/Newsletter-F...2001/page8.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_lomustine.html

http://www.gcvs.com/oncology/pwc/chemoinformation.htm

Hopefully our dear Ollie is feeling much better today.

Thanks for the links Helen - and the prayers...

He is still off his food this morning so I had to give him his tablets the old fashioned way - straight down the throat... He is such a good boy, he sat there and swallowed each one...

His walk was OK, but he did seem tired... He has just had a bath and a small treat, so he is a happy pooch at the moment...

I read the links that you posted and it all what I expected... the only difference was that he was sick the day of the chemo, not 2-4 days after...

Cheers

Jodie

Jodie,

What about trying him on something totally different to what he usually gets?

A dear friend ( who as since passed away) battled cancer for 9 years, chemo radiation the lot and she said that sometimes chemo would make the food she usually liked taste metallic....

Altho Lucinda did not have chemo she did go for a frightfully long time without much appetite and did not eat for about 6 days- i offered her my stirfried tasmanian salmon with chinese greens. She scoffed the lot.

He is on Hills Science Diet UD because he gets kidney/bladder stones - poor lad...

I do give him chicken and veges with the HSD to change it a few times a week... I was talking to hubby about it the other day and we think that we might start to offer him some other foods a couple of times a week... After all, it is quality of life, not quantity... And if he wants some steak, then I think he should be allowed to have it - within reason... I don't want to create kidney stones on top of the cancer... Ollie had a little left over fish this afternoon and the bottom of the cone of my drumstick ice cream - I know I shouldn't have but he did enjoy it...

Sue (holistic vet) is working on a fresh food diet for him, that will be for the cancer and the kidney stones... I am looking forward to seeing it, as we had a long consult on all the foods that Ollie did and did not like, so she had something to work with...

Cheers

Jodie

Ah the things we do to keep them happy hey. Barbara and Sue did the same for Lucinda..then Lucinda decided she did not want to eat any of her favourite foods..typical female. Now she is not quite so fussy but will not touch anything with roo meat in it ( even the tiniest bit sigh).

Tonight in addition to her normal meal she will get dessert : greek style yoghurt with crushed blackberries, raspberries and bluberries...now that she loves!

Hi Pampa,

He has been quite flat this week, a fair bit of vomiting and he has been off his food for a few days now... I have been spoiling him a little with food when he will eat... He had some little bits of steak last night and this morning (only about 100g)...

And I have been giving him his tablets the old fashioned way - straight down his throat.. He is not happy about that at all now (the first few days were OK, he just stood there and swallowed), he is running away from me... I hate being the one, that he hides from... It is only at medication time - the rest of the day he is with me in the office...

His walks have been good, he loves to get outside and have a little romp around... We walked about 2km again this morning... On Monday we only walked about 1km... I don't mind how long he wants to walk, we just go at whatever pace he sets and for as long as he wants... We were actually late taking the youngest one to school this morning because he wanted to sniff around a bit more at the park...

He loves his tummy rubs and playing with the boys, although he does not play anywhere near as rough as he used to...

Thanks for thinking of him... We need all the good thoughts that we can get...

Cheers

Jodie and Ollie dog

Hi Jodie

His cousin Benny has joined him on the sick and injured list :D We have managed to put our back out and spend most of the time shaking, walking very slowly and making pathetic " i'm in pain " noises.

I hope Ollie is feeling a little better :)

What a shame you can't feed him chocolate cake and a cuppa :o

Jacki

Hi Jodie

His cousin Benny has joined him on the sick and injured list :D We have managed to put our back out and spend most of the time shaking, walking very slowly and making pathetic " i'm in pain " noises.

I hope Ollie is feeling a little better :)

What a shame you can't feed him chocolate cake and a cuppa :o

Jacki

Oh no... Give Benny a big kiss for me, poor little guy... I hope he gets better soon... How do they treat that sort of injury?

I am sure that if I offered cake to the boofer, he would eat it... But he needs to be eating only good things at the moment...

It was lovely to meet you the other day. We will have to catch up again, when the opportunity comes around.

Cheers

Jodie

Oh Jodie,

Ollie is always in my thopughts and prayers...will sond some extra heavy duty ones for the poor lad. It IS awful when they run away when it is med time. Poor Jake would just clamp his jaws shut and it is damned near impossible to open pitbull jaws against their will.

Jackie,

Sending healing vibes bennys way.

Hugs to all

Helen