Ollie Dog

Staffyluv

I might have missed something about foods Ollie may be allergic to - but I'd think of trying roo mince, or chicken mince, or maybe kibble soaked in chicken stock. Do hope you can find something your little man will enjoy.

Barb

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also not sure if Ollie is allergic to anything but how about something good & stinky , like sardines, slightly warmed so they will let off a bit more smell. I know warming food often works with sick cats to tempt their appetite - not sure if dogs are as fussy about being able to smell their food but maybe worth a go. Raw egg yolk has helped me to put weight on both dogs & cats before - with cats I mix it with evaporated milk & a little bit of honey - not sure whether dogs would digest this well or not ? Maybe you could use 'puppy' milk instead ?

Edited to add - you could try smearing a bit of egg on his paws & see if he licks it off - again - this works with cats as they are so particular - sometimes the simple act of licking it off seems to kickstart their appetite - almost as if it reminds them that they actually do like food !

Edited by scottie

Thanks for the ideas... He is a pretty fussy eater to begin with. He is supposed to be on HSD - UD for kidney stones but at this stage the vet said not to worry about it and just try to get him to eat anything...

He will not eat any raw meat or eggs (anything raw), he likes fresh tuna (cooked) but has turned his nose up at that as well...

He has not touched his kibble (HSD) since last Thursday - he won't even look at it, even if I try to hand feed.

I crushed up one tablet into a teaspoon of honey and he had one lick and would not take anymore of it.

I might try putting some peanut butter on his paw and see if that gets him drooling for food, thanks for that...

Cheers

Jodie

Can he tolerate puppy milk and egg????

Why not make him an egg flip, with some biolac or something similar ( or nornal powdered milk if he can handle that ) and put an egg yolk in. It's worth a try and can tempt fussy bitches that refuse to eat after whelp.

You could also try that disgusting puppy porridge or try some vegemite on his plain biscuits....

Poor Ollie :(

Jodie,

What about a vitamin B injection and for his liver St Marys thistle? There is also an appetite stimulant called: Nutrigel ( you place a small amount in the mouth to get Ollie used to the flavour) It is a source of calories and vitamins. If he seems to like the plain taste of arrowroot bikkies etc maybe try him on some rolled oats..anything at this stage to stimulate his appetite.

There is an enzyme that is measured in blood tests that shows muscle wastage.:

Creatinine (CREA) - Creatinine is a by-product of muscle metabolism and is excreted by the kidneys. Elevated levels can indicate kidney disease or urinary obstruction, muscle disease, arthritis, hyperthyroidism, and disbetes. An increased BUN and normal creatinine suggest an early or mild problem. An increased creatinine and increased BUN with elevated phosphorus indicate a long standing kidney disease.

here are some links that can help you understand blood test results:

http://home.gci.net/~divs/disease/lab_tests.html

http://shady-acres.com/susan/cbc.shtml

http://www.ighawaii.com/naturally/newsletter/lab.html

http://hml.org/CHIS/providers/tests.html

http://www.amarillomed.com/howto.htm

http://www.vetinfo.com/cencyclopedia/cebloodtype.html

Hugs to you both

Helen

PS Lucinda started eating a bit more yesterday - I added some cooked liver to her cooked ( yeh I know she should be fed raw) beef, oats and veggies.

Nutrigel, I can't rave about it enough. It is a high energy vitamin concentrate that you just put on the roof of their mouth so they don't have the choice to eat it. Not only does 10gm per 5kg give them enough of everything for the day it also helps them feel better and in my experience they normally start eating within 24-36 hours on this stuff. I will never be without it

Will try porridge and the egg in puppy milk in the morning (might go and get some Pal puppy porridge - he used to love that when he was a little fella) and can you please tell me where to get the Nutrigel from?

It is like he wants to eat - he just cannot bring himself too... He goes to his food bowl for a sniff a lot but then just turns to his water...

Helen, he has an oxalate kidney problem. He has had it for about a year and a half now. That is why he is supposed to be on the Hills Science Diet - UD, if he eats too many foods that contain oxalates he gets kidney and bladder stones. I wonder if that is what is showing up??? I will ask the vet...

Thanks so much for the ideas

Jodie

Ok here is some info re oxalate stones and what foods to avoid.

quoting Barbaras book ( LOL)

Bladder stones ( calcium oxalate)

Avoid calcium supplementation, dietary oxalate ( eg spinach) and vitamin C in the form of camcium ascorbate. Consider a low to moderate protein diet and low salt to minimise the risk of reformation fo stones. Encourage plenty of fluids. veterinary diets may be preswcribed. Canned and fresh foods contain more mositure than dry foods. Supplement with a vitamin B complex ( B6 2-4 mg per kilogram daily). Potassium citrate ( a urinary alkaliniser) may be needed if stones persist.

Here is a good link to foods are to be avoided and foods that may be fed to dogs with calcium oxalate stones;

http://www.bichon.org/stonestable1.htm

I get the Nutrigel from my vet.

Cheers

Helen

The only thing he will take is milk arrowroot or jatz bickies, and then he only has about 3 a day... He is hungry because he keeps going to his food bowl but once he smells it, he turns and has a drink of water instead...

Jodie

Jodie, is it maybe that the strong smelling food is turning him off ?...

If he will eat really bland, plain bickies, maybe ;

1) there is a nutrient in them that his body needs

2) the lack of smell doesn't make his tummy turn

maybe (along with the nutrigel if you get some), you could try to give hime some bland starchy type foods with limited smell (when my dear auntie was on chemo she craved almonds... most other foods, especially nice smelling "tempting" foods like roast chicken, made the poor soul heave).

maybe some plain pasta spirals cooked in a beef cube and strained "dry", maybe with a tiny tad of butter (try without butter first :rofl: )...

Best of luck in getting him to eat but I'm very glad his blood is "good". :scared:

Lots of pats to Ollie :(

Well, I am pleased to report that Ollie and I have just finished my dinner...

My little gourmet stafford has eaten about a half a cup of spiral pasta topped with spinach, ricotta and pecorino sauce, with just a little chicken meat...

Hopefully I can tempt him again in the morning with some porridge...

His temp has been stable today at 38.7...

Fingers crossed that he eats again in the morning...

Thanks to all for the advice and support once again..

Jodie and Ollie dog

let's hope Ollie keeps eating.

I know when our dog was off her tucker years ago we put the food on a human dinner plate and she ate it ( she too had Cancer, lymphoid leukemia).It is worth a try. we used to warm it up in the microwave so it was warm for her.

Colleen

Woo hoo! That's great news, Jodie!! :(

I had to laugh at the thought of a gourmet doggy. Jack got leftover salmon the other night when we had a dinner party and the guest's three-year-old refused to touch the dinner despite the parents assuring me that she loved salmon.

My husband has already spent the last two years telling everyone that Jack eats better than him, so you can imagine he's had a field day with the salmon episode! :scared:

If we have any more leftover salmon any time soon, I'll send it Ollie's way :rofl:

Jodie,

Phew...he has eaten ! woohoo! I will sleep better tonight. This is a good start.

try the salmon too..it worked wonders with Lucinda. A friend of minbe who fought breast cancer like a tiger for over 10 year said that chemo sometimes made food tast horribly metallic...so maybe Ollie just needs something different..like past pecorino cheese etc.

Hugs and sighs of relief

Helen

Well, I am pleased to report that Ollie and I have just finished my dinner...

My little gourmet stafford has eaten about a half a cup of spiral pasta topped with spinach, ricotta and pecorino sauce, with just a little chicken meat...

Hopefully I can tempt him again in the morning with some porridge...

His temp has been stable today at 38.7...

:):(:rofl::scared::rofl:

What wonderful news :D

BTW, it sounds yummy, when are we all invited to dinner at your place :p

Not eating again... I tried the porridge and some toast this morning...He has even turned his nose up at the biscuits this morning...

But his walk this morning was at a great pace - running and romping in the long wet grass.. He is a totally different dog than he was a week or so ago...

So I have decided to make sure he has enough water and I am not going to offer him anything until tonight for dinner...

Cheers

Jodie

It's never ending :eek: Maybe he would like to pop over to our house for a serloin steak with pepper sauce and some steamed greens, carrots and potato

I hope that you can find something tonight in your fridge to make him eat :)

It does sound never ending, doesn't it :D

You should try living it...

Yesterday before he ate dinner, I was nearly in tears as the vet said he would have to go to hospital if he did not eat by Wednesday...

I feel like a yo yo... One minute up and the next minute down... Just glad I have you lot to bounce everything off :D

The hubby is going to Young tomorrow night, is that anywhere near you? Perhaps I could send his highness over for a quick bite ;)

Would save me stressing on what to find for him... I tried every thing else...

Jodie

it is astonishing how picky they can get. Lucinda sometimes would turn her nose up at her usually favourite foods - looking at me as if i had put poison in it. THen when she ate the stir fired salmon and greens I thought great and went and bought more. Served it up that night. What did she do?

Looked at me as if i were mad ....LOL then polished off the chicken wings belonging to Margali and Lucky.