Ollie Dog

Staffyluv

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He ate about 3/4 cup of bubble and squeak last night and about a half cup of puppy porridge this morning... Finally I think he is coming around...

Temp is at 38.7 still, so that is OK...

And his exercise is going great. He trots the whole way and we walked 2km easy this morning...

Thanks for all the advice and support over the last difficult week...

Jodie

Hooray for more good news!

I can picture the proud boy strutting along :eek: I imagine while ever he's loving his exercise, you can be sure he'll get so hungry that he'll eat whatever is put in front of him! I know I'm always starving after the morning walk with Jack :D

It sounds like you're in for a good weekend with the little bloke. :D

I feel like I am on a roller coaster with this dog...

He is sick again... He went and had his blood work this morning and he was fine... He has been inside for the last couple of hours and my last client just left so I thought I would let him out with me... The poor little bugger has vomited everywhere... There were 6 smallish puddles... He has been off his food again since yesterday morning and at lunch time, I gave him an arrowroot bicky (seems like the only thing he will eat, some days) - that and water is what has been bought up...

I called the vet and they want to see him this afternoon (I swear I live there)...

We had the bloods done this morning, hoping that we could have chemo on Friday... I want the chemo to start again as there is another small lump on his right side that has come up and down twice now - I am so afraid that it is another mast cell tumour... I swore that I would not put him through another surgery and I won't...

This sux, we have had such a good few days since his antibiotics kicked the last infection... His walks have been great and except for last night, he has been eating well again...

How do you know when they are in pain (most staffords I know can have a leg hanging off and still wag their tail at you)???

He is sleeping under my desk at the moment... It does not seem to be peaceful sleep - he is restless...

Keep your fingers and toes crossed for us again...

Don't know what I would do if I could not come here and write it all down - most of my friends try to change the topic as soon as I bring it up...

Thanks

Jodie

Oh Jodie - I'm sorry to read that. And you're right - it is hard to know when some dogs are in pain - I can imagine Staffies would be very reluctant to show pain. I had an old Kelpie/Collie bitch that was the same. I guess you just have to trust your gut and the vet.

Let's hope this is a temporary set-back. Give the Ollie dog a pat and a massage from Tasmania. Thinking strong thoughts for you.

Barb

There is pain that they show, through a limp or not being as active as they normally are etc...

And then there is pain , you know it when you look into their eyes and there is nothing there anymore, you look and you don't see the dog you once knew. It's bloody hard and it's heart breaking , when you see that it's time to say goodbye. :)

My god, if Ollie reduces me and half of Dol to tears every time things aren't so good, I can only imagine what you are going through....

Lets hope that he can take all the love and best wishes he gets from you and and his friends at DOL and get over another Ollie hurdle...

Thinking of you

xxxxxxx

Stafford kisses and Pug hugs

:)

Just got back from the vet (and the park :) )...

He had an injection to stop him vomiting and feeling nauseous... And a broad antibiotic (just in case)... Temp had risen to 39 in just a half hour, so I have to monitor him this evening a little closer... They took more blood this evening to test his T4 (thyroid)...

Felt so sorry for my little pin cushion that I went to Woolies and got him some BBQ chicken kebabs - he used to love these and I have not tried them, so wish me luck...

Hopefully it is just an off day for him and he bounces back in the morning...

Thanks

Jodie

ETA: Your are right Warley, he still smiles and wants to go for a walk... There is still plenty of spark in his eyes...

Edited by Staffyluv

And then there is pain , you know it when you look into their eyes and there is nothing there anymore, you look and you don't see the dog you once knew. It's bloody hard and it's heart breaking , when you see that it's time to say goodbye. :)

That's just so true. :)

Sorry to hear that Ollie dog is having another down day, as long as that spark is still there then there's still hope. Chin up hun, and hugs for Ollie.

Oh Jodie,

my heart sank when i read your post and tears sprang to my eyes.

Dont panic...its just this darned roller coaster. I know Lucinda went through a sort of healing crisis and hopefully Ollie is just doing this.

Ollie will let you know when he is in pain or has had enough. I dont know the words to use to describe it but you will know, it is quite unmistakable and your heart almost stops when you see it. But it is not today.

In the meantime try to keep positive ( even tho there is another lump ) and keep on doing what you are doing letting the boy know he is loved. Sending heaps of positive healing vibes Ollies way.

BTW I have asked my friends on caninecancerfriends to add him to our prayer list.

Hugs

Helen

No, he would not eat the BBQ chicken kebabs...

I know they are not supposed to have milk, but I opened the fridge to put the kebabs away and I thought - I just wonder if he would drink a little, just so he has something in his tummy... He just drank about a quarter of a cup... I am not going to give him anymore just yet but might offer him a little more later...

I think if I just offer him things he really used to like every now and then, he might just eat something...

Thanks all

Jodie

My god, if Ollie reduces me and half of Dol to tears every time things aren't so good, I can only imagine what you are going through....

Lets hope that he can take all the love and best wishes he gets from you and and his friends at DOL and get over another Ollie hurdle...

Bugger, Bugger, Bugger :) So sad to hear he's down again tonight...

Warley, I wanted to say something like what you wrote last week to show how much we have all grown to love this little guy (and his uncomplaining human mate :) ) but it kept coming out wrong... Thanks for finding the right words :)

More positive thoughts and prayers on the way Jodie.

XOXOXOXO

You guys are all so fantastic...

I only have a couple of friends that understand the way I feel about Ollie.. Everyone else says - he is just a dog...

I know that all the other DOLers feel the same way about their furry family, that I do about Ollie...

It really is a comfort to be able to come here and say what is happening and how I am feeling, as well as how Ollie is doing...

I think he wants to go to bed early tonight, every time I walk into my room (where he usually sleeps of a night) he follows me in and lays on his bed... But as soon as I come back out, he follows me again... I might call it a night, put the pooch in the big bed with me and watch some TV...

Thanks

Jodie and Ollie dog

I cannot help but feel sad for people who think "its just a dog" .

These just about sum it all up -

http://www.navhda.org/feature2.html

Musings

by Richard Biby, Contributing Editor

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

From time to time, people tell me, “lighten up, it’s just a dog,” or, “that’s a lot of money for just a dog.” They don’t understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for “just a dog.” Some of my proudest moments have come about with “just a dog.” Many hours have passed and my only company was “just a dog,” but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by “just a dog,” and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of “just a dog” gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it’s “just a dog,” then you will probably understand phases like “just a friend,” “just a sunrise,” or “just a promise.” “Just a dog” brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. “Just a dog” brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person. Because of “just a dog” I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it’s not “just a dog” but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. “Just a dog” brings out what’s good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it’s not “just a dog” but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being “just a man.” So the next time you hear the phrase “just a dog.” just smile, because they “just don’t understand.”

Roca © 2006

Versatile Hunting Dog Magazine, February 2006

http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~bjmcmil/dick/mydog.html

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/257...006-628025.html

and about dog owner v dog person ( for all the dog people here)

http://dogs.about.com/cs/fungames/a/evolution.htm