Hot Spots

Hi, I have a male sibe who breaks out with hot sopts on a regular basis this humid weather has affected him big time, I have him on science diet sensitive which is the best of the ones we've tried, I've cut him down on his kibble and introduced rice as it's natural and filling this boy LOVES his food but I've found that the rice has made him bulky and an over weight sibe is not a good look :rofl: if any one has any suggestions would be appreciated,

Cheers,

Mochelle

Well here's my advice, take it or leave it :rofl: but it hasn't failed yet with any of my guys.

Get rid of the rice for starters, dogs don't need it. I would also not feed the kibble you are presently on. I have found that a lot of hotspots in sibes at least are caused from beef and/or beef by-products in kibble. I have found one that has none at all and that is what you need to feed if you don't want to go BARF. Some kibbles don't have beef listed in the ingredients, they have "animal fat" or tallow, and when you ring up to find out what it is, they tell you BEEF. Advance make one with no beef at all and so do Supercoat I believe.

Give him zinc tablets every day (2 a day for the first week) and then taper them off. Use Blackmore's ZinVit 250, it works best and is only $8.50 for a bottle of 50. Many sibes are zinc defiecient and that causes spots too.

Next wash the hot spot with Listerine and dry, cover it in white zinc (normal people's face zinc) and you should have no more problems.

You can always PM or email too :rofl:

Hi Mochelle,

A ex Golden Retriever client of mine in QLD spent 3 summers in a row at the vet for hot spots on her goldie and than out of desperation tried Aloe Vera straight off the plant in the garden as soon as the spot started to appear...the hot spots cleared up really quickly.

Cheers

and I wash my mals hot spots with bicarb.

No rice.

Fresh chickenneck & carcas, beef bones not a lot of kibble I use supercoat, the regular one. if she gets anything else or scraps by accident by a well meaning visitor we have problems. I am going to try the listerine and the aloe if it works we have a huge aloe plant in the garden and always have listerine here.

Hi thanks for the suggestions it's not so much the treating of the hotspots I'm worried about it's preventing them or cutting down the amount he gets, we tried the supercoat and he got 7 hot spots, an advance kibble has been suggested which I'll try and will get him off the rice.

We actually use rectinol to treat his hotspots:rofl: don't laugh it works and works fast he had some little ones on his legs a little rectinol on them and the next day couldn't find them cleared up straight away.

Cheers,

, we tried the supercoat and he got 7 hot spots

I am not positive but I think Supercoat make a sensitive formula kibble that doesn't contain beef, that was the one I was referring to.

I am only suggesting beef as the cause because that is what I have found as the cause for the ones our kids get. Since we have taken them off all beef products we have NEVER had a hotspot (I promise :rofl: )

I agree you need to find the cause, find that and eliminate it and end of problem forever.

Edited by Polarpeak

For Hot Spots and Itching

Boil 1½ cups of water, remove from heat. Add 2 teaspoons oatmeal, 1 teaspoon chamomile, 1 teaspoon calendula flowers and 1 regular tea bag (Lipton type); let steep until cool. Strain through doubled cheesecloth. If you do not have the herbs, use 1 cup of water. Spray the affected area as often as needed.

- - - - - -

Hot Spots

Hot spots can lead to serious illness in dogs. They can be caused by allergies to chemicals, food, fleas and other substances, but fleas seem to be a primary source. This recipe has proven effective for many dogs suffering from Hot Spots.

3 capsules Sage

¼ teaspoon Epsom Salts

2 cups of Water

Combine all ingredients and bring this all to a boil.

Cool to room temperature and then strain out the powdered Sage.

Store in a 2-cup spray bottle or jar in the refrigerator to keep fresh.

Spray or wipe on hot spots, insect bites, or any other skin abrasions as many times a day as possible. It heals in about 3 days, and you should begin to see some hair regrowth in a little over a week.

---------

Summer Skin Itch - Healing

For promoting hair growth, healing sore skin, and as a Anti-Itch Solution.

1 teaspoon of apple cider (brown)

10ml of Colloidal Silver (anti-fungal/virus/bacteria)

approx. 20 drops of calendula tincture

Put into a empty 1 litre spray bottle, then fill with distilled water. Spray on affected areas 3 x daily. Use half the dosage mix if using a smaller spray bottle or bowl.

----------

Skin Allergies

Are actually signs of zinc deficiencies. Buy the Chelated Zinc 10mg Tablets and crush the tablet & mix into daily meals. Elderly cats and dogs benefit this mineral in their daily regular meals, along with digestive enzyme tablet (crushed). Change diets to a all natural preservative free one. That means no more commercial dog biscuits or tin foods. The less toxic chemicals and drugs the healthier your pet will stay. Many Dogs are allergic to the foods (commercial) Also avoid pasta, rice, carrots, yeast, corn, wheat, beef, oats. These are some of the more common food allergens (all commercial foods have wheat, corn and preserves, poor quality artificial meat and flavourings ).

----------

Irritated Skin

500 ml Sorbolene, add 100 ml tea tree oil, mix well and apply as often as required.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/skinremedies.htm

Edited by sugar

Hi sugar thanks so much for all your advice,

my boys allergy is food related I'm fairly sure of that, he doesn't have fleas because he's prone to hot spots I also make sure he flea/tick protection is up to date so we never have a problem there I don't have a problem treating them it's really the prevention of them is what I'm after.

Cheers,

My friend's goldie had really bad hot spots and is only 12 months old. She tried him on a chicken mince & rice diet (rice isn't my ideal BUT), chicken wings, necks etc and no kibble. He is a different dog, better coat, better appetite and no hotspots.

Trish

I have a stafford bitch who suffers with hot spots she is fed a combination of raw food and Eagle Pack dry food. She does not get any food that has a protein level of more than 20% no treats or anything. She also gets tinned sardines in oil 2-3 times a week we have not had an outbreak since switching to Eagle Pack.

Regards Salena

Hi sheltiesrule, I didn't know what hot spots were either until my boy got the first one when they get hot spot they loose some of their coat around where the hot spot is it looks like red sore which left too long can turn into a really nasty sore and if they are able to lick the area will get puss and fester and can take ages to clear up.

Usually they get these spots from an allergy to food, a zinc deficiency and if they are prone to hot spots the humid weather doesn't help either.

Hope that answers your question,

Cheers,

Michelle

Hi Michelle

The reason I asked it that my puppy has sores on his belly where there is no fur. They start of like pimples but then they get green puss....most of his are cleared up now...i thought he got them from the beach holiday we took him on at xmas...these take a long time to clear up too.