Would Glucosamine Help?

Norskgra

I had 2 of my dogs at the Chiropractor last night. My Afghan had his back out and a micro fracture to a leg. The Elkhound I took has a sprain to her shoulder and also had a misalignment to a vertabra and her pelvis. These were put back into place.

I have never used it but would glucosamine or any other supplement help them?

Edited by Norskgra

Disclaimer: absolutely no expert here.

You haven't said how old the dogs are. Anyway, I'm personally a great believer in glucosamine - having used it myself for 2 years - with noticeable benefite. I've also used it on older dogs. There was a thread in this forum a couple of weeks back about using glucosamine (and chondroitin and MSM) as preventative. I've actually just started using a combo of those as preventative in my 4 year old Border Collies - who are training fairly intensively in agility and flyball this year.

I would say, have a look at that thread - and maybe call your vet to make sure there are no contra-indications.

ISTM it's one of those things that if it does no good, it'll do no harm - and for me anyway, it does good.

Barb

I have used glucosamine for my knees and have found it to be fantastic; I also have a 12yo rough collie that was having problems jumping in the car and started giving him glucosamine (human formula) and before long there was an incredible improvement and now he gets into the car without needing me to give him a lift and he seems to be wanting to walk more; I definitely recommend it but I am not sure whether in your case it will be of any help with regards to fractures but you have nothing to lose by giving it a shot.

I would go for half a human dose and see if that does the trick. I think it is important to get a good brand, some of the stuff out there is not much better than a lolly. You have to make sure you give the one with the "added" extras.I use Pretorius because it has a full 1000mg dose of Glucosamine but also has, copper, manganese and zinc, which apparently helps the body absosrb and use it better.

my dogs weigh between 30 and 40 kg and i give them 1 flat teaspoon for the 30 kg dog, a rounded teaspoon for the middle dog and a heaped teaspoon for the 40kg dog..in a bit of cold milk,thats a glucosamine and chondroitin mix,not pure glucosamine.

theres probably about 250mg of straight glucosamine per metric teaspoon in the mix that i use,so its not really all that much for my dogs but it works well for Sirs old injuries.,and more of a preventative thing and joint support food for the others.

i came to those measurements because the tub says (for people) not to exceed 6 servings Daily(30g) i have 4 so the dogs get 1.

The one i have is called, Glucosamine Chondroitin Joint Food../brand name is, Nutra-Life, i got it at a health food store in the sports suppliments section, i got a 1kg tub i cant remember how much but it was pretty expensive (lol for me anyway)..it contains

Potassium

Glucosamine Sulphate

Chondroitin Sulphate

Vitamin C

Citrus Bioflavonoids

Zinc

Manganese

Copper

I have read somewhere that to much Zinc isnt good for dogs or something,(or was that iodine? lol brains shutting down) but there is only 2mg per teaspoon and i havnt seen any ill affects and my dogs have been on it everyday for a year.

Edited by Sirmonsta

Thanks again Sirmonsta.

Cost doesn't matter when it comes to my dogs health.

I am planning on mating the Elkhound in about 6 weeks and I want to make sure she is in top condition. The Chiro said there was no reason why we shouldn't mate her butgI want to make sure she is okay.

I have Nature's Way Glucosamine & Fish Oil tablets (200 capsules) and paid $27.00 on special at Coles (normally about $35). At the chemist for the same amount of capsules you pay around $50!

I am giving it to a 9yo & a 7yo Dalmatian and it seems to have helped them. I also use it too and it has helped me to.

I give them 1 capsule a day in their feed.

I use the 'Blackmores" brand of glucosamine (1000mg). I also give my dogs fish oil capsules 3x weekly of the same brand. I tend to believe that human formula would have to win hands down in comparison to pet products.

Thanks everyone.

I will have a look at brands and ingredients when I go shopping on the weekend.

I can see that Glucosomine won't hurt even if it doesn't help with the fracture. It will help with his back that he put out as well. It would also help my girl. I think I will put all of the dogs on it as a preventative.

All my dogs get fish oil capsules each day.

If the glucosamine does not work have a look at Noni juice. A shearer put me on to it and he (and lots of other shearers) use it for their dogs who have been injured. You get it from the health food store and it is quite expensive but it works and glucosamine did not work on my arthritis. I have been taking it since the end of November and have been able to go from 4 Voltaren a day down to none.

Another great product I heard about through a newfie person was Bovine Collagen....apparently they have had amazing results and it is stronger than glucosomine.Comes in powder form.

PM me and I'll give you the contact details for the newfie breeder in Vic that a distributor for it.All products are worth at least looking at so as to make an informed decision.

Cheers

I did heaps of research on Glucosamine before giving it to my horse (had tried remedies from noted Naturopaths which did NOTHING for her)...

I found all the info said the liquid form is best, followed by powdered - the combining agent used in tablets hinders the bodies ability to use the glucosamine apparently.

My 27 year old horse was very arthritic before I started her on it - this was the last thing I could think of to try before having to just give up on the poor old girl - but within a week she was like a 2 year old (ok so maybe a 15 year old lol) again.

Not saying it will work for everyone that well - but I wish it did :laugh:

I just syringe 15 ml down her throat each day (at first it was twice a day) - 15 ml is the rec human dose.

I use a 1500mg/15ml formula as I read its better then 1000mg. The brand I use is SUPPOSED to be strawberry flavoured but tastes like medicine of course :-)

BUT my horse loves it - I give it to her with no halter on - just squirt it down her throat - and my dogs are forever trying to steal it as I'm giving it to her!

Its called Joint Active (by Natural Remedies) I buy it from Priceline and every now and again I find a chemist or a woolworths that has it.

I did try another brand - can't remember the name but it was "lemon" flavoured and my horse went down hill on it, so I went back to the Joint Active.

I tried quite a few health food stores - most of them don't even seem to know it comes in a liquid form

I use it myself, but unlike with my animals I am so slack I often miss doses :( but I think it does help (I have previously fractured my neck and back)

I just need to use it daily.