What Do I Feed My Dog For Breakfast

LMJ_31

I'm going to go to Upmarket Pets today at lunch time to get some more eukanuba and maybe some cheap bikkies for a little snack in the morning.

:laugh::(

Why buy more CRAP!!!??? Just give your dog the meal in the morning!! What's the point in giving him "cheap" biscuits?? :laugh: Is it making you feel better or him feel better??

Like the others have said, what you are giving him for breakfast is what you would give a human for breakfast, it is not what a dog should have for breakfast.

I don't think chicken necks smell any different to any other part of chicken, but if you'd rather not use them, then would your partner be happy with you giving the dog raw chicken wings, they're a human food when cooked, so you'd still be giving him human food, albeit raw. Never give cooked bones.

When I make up Jyra's meals for a month, some of the stuff does smell bad, worse than chicken necks. We put up with it. I live with my parents too and they allow it. When was the last time your partner smelt chicken necks?

Something cheap you could buy him for breakfast - tinned sardines (Home brand/Generic: 50c) or tinned mackeral (cheap brand: $1.23). Being a small dog one tin sardines would probably do for his breakfast. Jyra eats fish once a week though, not daily.

I went for Eukanuba and some snacks. Nothing wrong with that is there...

You don't have to feed snacks, especially if your dog is being fussy. Eukanuba for brekkie and no snacks necessary. You can even use the Eukanuba for training treats, or stuff it into a kong or puzzle ball toy, and make him work for his food, that sometimes makes mealtime more interesting. Problem with dogs is the same as children, what are they going to prefer to eat their meat and veggies or icecream? :laugh:

You are spoiling your dog and making a rod for your own back, if your dog doesn't eat what you give him take it away and give him nothing until his next meal, if he doesn't eat that repeat the process until he actually eats. IMO none of the things you have been feeding your dog for breakfast are suitable foods for dogs, way too much cereal content, feed some raw chicken wings/necks/frames. BTW if the chicken necks you bought were smelly they were off, fresh chicken necks hardly smell at all, make sure you buy them at a supermarket not a pet supplies place.

Changing your dog's food all the time and pandering to his little whims is turning your him into a fussy eater, decide on a DOG food diet, feed it and make sure he eats it, then you won't have any more trouble and your dog will be much healthier. :laugh:

:laugh: I wouln't set foot in upmarket pets, but that's just my choice. Buy him one good quality dry food (you can tick that box already :( ), add fresh, raw bones, egg, etc. as the other part of his meal and don't feed him anything else. Unless you are actually training him he doen't need treats, especially not junky ones. You might feel mean taking his food away for a few days now if he doesn't eat it but I can guarantee he'll only get worse. Have you thought about what will happen if you have to leave him for a few days or longer. I can guarantee that a kennel (and most sane people I can think of) wouldn't be prepared to cook a dozen different meals fr him to keep him happy. Once he is used to the routine you will find he will be happier as he will be eating proper regular meals. :laugh:

• 1 year later...

Hi all, i have problems with the meals issues for my lab puppy. he is 11 weeks now, and igot him 3 weeks ago. He's a darling, except for the jumping, chewing, biting and chasing the kids around the house.. hehe..

The breeder told me to feed milk with weetbix or toast for breakfast but i read that milk is no good for the puppy so i stopped and give weetbix with water instead. Toasted bread alternate days. I really don't know what else i can cook for breakfast..

For lunch, (becos i am making for the kids as well), rice or pasta or dry food with minced beef, pork or chicken pieces, carrots, green beans or cabbage (alternate days).. Is cabbage not that good for pets?

Dinner as usual and in between, i will give him a biscuits after a walk.. i have not try sardines yet.. but i give him abit of baked beans .. is that alright?

For the chicken neck, can i get it from supermarket? I normally buy drumsticks or wings.. are they good enough? What else can i do? I used to own 2 silky terriers but i normally fed them canned food with dry food as i was working and no time to cook.. HOPE you guys can help me on the menu.. thanks alot..

The breeder told me to feed milk with weetbix or toast for breakfast but i read that milk is no good for the puppy so i stopped and give weetbix with water instead. Toasted bread alternate days. I really don't know what else i can cook for breakfast..

For lunch, (becos i am making for the kids as well), rice or pasta or dry food with minced beef, pork or chicken pieces, carrots, green beans or cabbage (alternate days).. Is cabbage not that good for pets?

Dinner as usual and in between, i will give him a biscuits after a walk.. i have not try sardines yet.. but i give him abit of baked beans .. is that alright?

For the chicken neck, can i get it from supermarket? I normally buy drumsticks or wings.. are they good enough? What else can i do? I used to own 2 silky terriers but i normally fed them canned food with dry food as i was working and no time to cook.. HOPE you guys can help me on the menu.. thanks alot..

Have abit of a read through older posts on this forum. There are plenty of threads about what people feed their dogs.

Dog's don't care what meal happens at what time of day. Give them food and they'll eat it if they're hungry. You don't need to feed them brekkie foods at brekkie and lunch foods at lunch. You could probably feed the same for all 3 meals and they wouldn't care. My puppy normally gets dry food for breakfast mainly because it's quick and easy when I'm in a hurry!

You probably don't need to be feeding extra carbs such as rice or pasta if you're already feeding dry food. It's more important to add raw meat than to add more carbs. I usually add raw beef mince or chicken pet mince.

You can find chicken necks and any chicken shop such as Red Lea and sometimes at the butchers. You could try chicken wings instead of necks if you want, just that they're more expensive and have more skin on them. You can also get chicken pet mince from chicken shops, it's made up of minced chicken carcasses and is really cheap. Other things you could try adding are sardines and raw egg.

Most of the nutrition in weetbix and milk comes from the milk!! If the pup is not lactose intolerant - and he is obviously not - as he has been drinking the milk without problems, I would continue to feed that. Mix a raw egg in with it for higher protein levels, or change to cooked rolled oats (which are better than weetbix) with milk. All my pups are reared on milk, with no ill effects.

My dog gets Eagle Pack kibble, with or without a topping of tinned sardines, almost every day. About twice a week he gets raw brisket bones or chicken necks/wings/drums. It might not be deemed suitable breakfast food for humans, but for dogs it's perfect.

Thanks all..

I gave Luka dry food with cheese this morning, and he loves it. Didn't know there's so many diferent meals i can do for the dogs.. i'm so sad i didn't do it for my previous dogs, because was so busy working that i only give them dry food in the morning and dry food + canned food at night and not much walk as too tired. :love:

Jed, what type of milk do u mean? Normal cow milk will do or do i need to buy pet milk? I gave him a hard boiled egg the other day and in the evening he had abit of diarraeh, i don't know isit due to the egg or something he ate along the garden.. so i stopped giving it to him.. Can i give him cabbage & Baked beans?

As for the cow milk i put in the weetbix, he seems to be alright after drinking the milk.. normal stool. I'm lucky i found this DOL site and found a good breeder who gave me this wonderful puppy.. and people so willing to share their suggestions and ideas.

As for dry food, is there "Solid gold" brand here? I love this brand and was feeding my 2 silky terriers when i was in singapore.. I'm currently using eagle brand.. i changed from the breeder's "science diet" because i read that SD is not as good as eagle.. not sure how true.. I think i will go and search for more recipes..

Just to share a pic of Luka with you guys.. :laugh: