What Do I Feed My Dog For Breakfast

LMJ_31

I used to feed my one year old Scottie cross a smacko, a piece of pigs ear and a teeth chew but I decided it was becoming too expensive and it wasn't healthy for him.

I have tried to get him to eat:

Toast and peanut butter

Toast and jam/vegemite

Skim milk, bread and jam

bran and skim milk

weetbix and skim milk

Weetbix, honey and skim milk

but he may take a bit of interest on the first day but any other day after that he won't touch it and looks so depressed and sad....it breaks my heart.

I even tried giving him half a smacko after he ate his breakfast and that didn't work, then before his breakfast to get him excited but that didn't work either.

I want to feed him something healthy but I don't have all morning to spend in the kitchen cooking for him so suggestions need to have basic preparation times.

Can dog's eat sultanas?

Also, he never used to be a fussy eater and would eat what he was given until the time I changed his breakfast.

Thanks

Lisa :)

I feed all of ours chicken necks for breakfast.

They are healthy and good for cleaning their teeth. Even our fussiest one loves them and tries to steal them from our others.

Thank's, I have to bash them with a mallet to break the bones don't I as my maltese is a bit of a princess.

Yeah, I might give the necks a try! Thanks :)

Thank's, I have to bash them with a mallet to break the bones don't I as my maltese is a bit of a princess.

Yeah, I might give the necks a try! Thanks :)

I would try them without being bashed first. I have fed them to our since they were young pups and have never had any problems. One of my girls was the most finicky eater you could find but she loves them and crunches them without any problem.

They are also cheap. :)

to answer your other question, no dogs can't eat sultanas.

Just a thought but maybe he doesn't want to eat breakfast cos he's not hungry. My dogs only get one meal a day and are quite happy, one day a week they don't get fed at all or only get a very small meal.

Well the necks are out! My partner says they stink and they turn his stomach.

He was always hungry before until I changed his diet.

I'm concerned he's suffering doggy depression as he mopes around a bit, especially if he doesn't have breakfast to his liking.

Bashin them up probably defeats the purpose too, don't worry if she won't swallow them and eat the whole thing straight away, it's chewing on it that is good for her teeth.

Does he enjoy his night time dinner? My dogs get fed in the morning but not at night. Maybe you could just give him his evening meal in the morning instead

Bashin them up probably defeats the purpose too, don't worry if she won't swallow them and eat the whole thing straight away, it's chewing on it that is good for her teeth.

Does he enjoy his night time dinner? My dogs get fed in the morning but not at night. Maybe you could just give him his evening meal in the morning instead

Yes he's not too bad in the evening but once again getting a little fussy and hard to please as I cook my own meals for him with human food.

I could do that! I never though of it. It's not a bad idea actually. Give him the energy for the day.

You said you've tried:

Toast and peanut butter

Toast and jam/vegemite

Skim milk, bread and jam

bran and skim milk

weetbix and skim milk

Weetbix, honey and skim milk

Why? This is people food. Dogs get nothing nutritional from weetbix or bran, it goes straight through them.

Toast is ok for an occasional treat, but it is not a great idea to feed every day for breakfast.

Dogs do best on meat and vegetables, raw meaty bones, raw chicken necks and wings and meat based products (good quality kibbles like eukanuba and science diet). The cheap kibbles (pal, home brand etc) are packed full of cereal grains, colours and salt etc - they have very little nutritional value and will create 'cow pat' type soft poos, which is not healthy.

What do you feed him for dinner?

Sultanas are definately not good for dogs. They are TOXIC, as are grapes. They can kill dogs. Please DON'T feed your dogs any of these!

I will post a list of toxic foods below...

This is long, but worth reading if you are unaware of what not to feed your dog.

Chocolate

We’ve all heard ‘chocolate is bad for dogs’, but many people do not realise how unsafe it can be. Chocolate contains thiobromine which is very toxic to dogs and causes liver damage. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is, however any chocolate in large enough amounts can cause death.

For example, as little as 250-500g of milk chocolate, or 30-60g of cooking chocolate can kill a 5kg dog.

Signs of overdose include excessive salivation, neurological symptoms (seizures shuddering/shaking/twitching/convulsing), diarrhoea and vomiting – these can lead to a coma and death if left untreated. These symptoms may not show up for several hours, but can lead to death within 24 hours.

Chocolate overdose is life threatening and needs to be treated as an emergency.

Be sure to check the label on any ‘dog chocolate’ to make sure that it is made with carob instead of real cocoa.

Onions

These contain thiosulfate, which will destroy red blood cells and can cause anaemia, weakness, and breathing difficulty. Avoid feeding large quantities of onion or small quantities over time as it will build up in the dog’s system. Large amounts of garlic cause the same problems as onions, as well as chives, as they belong to the same family of plants. If your dog is showing signs of anaemia or has overdosed on onions, you need to see your vet urgently.

Grapes and raisins/sultanas

These can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a handful of grapes or sultanas can kill a dog. If the dog doesn't eat enough at one time to be fatal, he/she can be severely damaged by eating just a few grapes or raisins regularly.

Macadamia nuts

As few as SIX macadamia nuts can cause paralysis in dogs. Dogs with macadamia poisoning will appear anxious and have difficulty moving their rear legs. Other symptoms include pain (especially in the legs), depression and vomiting. Unshelled macadamias can also cause bowel blockages if eaten. If your dog has consumed macadamia nuts you need to take him/her to your vet urgently. The paralysis will generally disappear after several days of treatment.

Walnuts and cashew nuts are also poisonous to dogs.

Tomatoes

Green/unripe tomatoes contain solanine, which can be toxic even in small amounts. Ripe tomatoes are very high in selenium, which is toxic in large doses. Ripe tomatoes are harmless in small amounts. If you have tomato plants in your garden make sure you keep your dog away from them (tomato plants, except for the tomato itself, are also poisonous to humans).

Cooked bones

Chicken wings, necks, beef and other bones are safe to feed in moderation, as long as they are raw. When bones are cooked (particularly chicken bones) they can splinter and cause damage to your dogs digestive system, either by tearing or becoming stuck. This can be very painful for your dog and lead to serious health complications. Whenever possible your dog should be supervised while eating bones.

Caffeine

Caffeine (from coffee, coffee grounds, tea, or tea bags) stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems, and can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations, and even death within hours.

Artificial Sweeteners

Diet products containing the sweetener Xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. Unless treatment is given quickly, the dog could die.

Fruit seeds

Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, peaches, and apricot pits contain a small amount of cyanide, which is poisonous. Smaller seeds (such as apple seeds) will generally pass through your dog’s system undigested, but if they are allowed to chew on larger seeds it can be harmful. Larger seeds may become lodged in your dogs digestive tract and cause serious health problems.

Fatty and Salty Foods

Ham and bacon, as well as other things like turkey fat contain too much fat and too much salt, and can cause pancreatitis (inflammation of the liver) and kidney problems. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea and a painful abdomen. Dogs that eat salty food may also drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called bloat (most common in large breeds of dogs with large chests and thin waists). This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing death. If you suspect your dog has pancreatitis or bloat you need to go to your veterinarian urgently.

Liver and liver treats

Raw liver or too much cooked liver can lead to vitamin A toxicity. This can cause deformed bones, excessive bone growth on the elbows and spine, weight loss, and anorexia. If you must feed your dog canned food, be sure to check that it does not contain too much liver.

Plants around your garden

Some garden plants can also be toxic if eaten by your dog. Poinsettias are mildly toxic to dogs – while most dogs who eat them will experience no symptoms at all, some dogs will drool or vomit after eating them. Holly causes intense nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. Mistletoe causes vomiting, diarrhoea, neurological problems and heart failure. Wild mushrooms can cause abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting, diarrhoea, convulsions, coma, or death.

I feed him home made stuff mixed with Eukanuba. For example, I made meatballs that I got from a dog recipe site and i mixed tomato puree and spaghetti with them.

Another week I would make cooked chicken with vegetables and pasta/rice and mix with Eukanuba.

While your pup is refusing food, I wouldn't keep changing his food to see what he will eat. They soon learn to play us and nothing is good enough then. Dogs don't need special breakfast foods. Mine eat the same thing morning and night, and they eat very simply as one has food allergies/intolerances and the other a compromised liver. My young dog used to refuse meals when he was a pup but since stopping all the variety and chopping and changing of foods, we haven't had one missed meal. Although most dogs can eat a variety of foods, some just seem to do better with a simple diet. The Eukanbua you are feeding is a complete food, so he would get all the nutrients he needs from it.

The suggestions here of chicken necks/wings/frames are a great breakfast.

my thoughts too Dougie!

Maybe start with a flute of orange juice and Krug Champagne ( for discerning gourmets)

then eggs benedict. :)

Seriously tho I would not stress out. he will not starve himself to death and you really do not need to be running in circles trying to please him.

Give him whatever you choose to feed, if he does not eat withing say 15 - 20 mins. take it all away until dinner time, then repeat.

From what you've said, I think your dog just isn't hungry :eek:

The other posts are correct - all the cereal foods you mentioned are not good for litle doggies :)

Try just feeding once in the morning - it is a good routine as then they eliminate during the day as mentioned in a previous post. You don't need to double the portion for "breakfast" and "dinner". Take the food away after 15 minutes and don't feed ANYTHING else until the same time the next day. No treats! No afternoon tea! No extras! No matter how pleading those eyes are! :mad

It won't take long for your dog to realise that he/she HAS to eat THEN!! It'll take less than 4 days for your dog to be eating normally - I guarantee it!! Your dog has got you wrapped around you little finger :)

The Eukanuba with extras sounds ok but you really need to add RAW meat to the diet and BONES to chew on regardless of whether or not your partner thinks the meat stinks. This is a DOG! It needs BONES! They can be chicken necks, whole carcasses, giant beef bones whatever - but your dog NEEDS them for a healthy diet. Not cooked - RAW! It doesn't matter the size of the dog. I have little fluffies myself and they will drag a giant dinosaur shinbone around EASILY and get great joy of of gnawing on it for hours at a time. :) It's great for their teeth - they have lovely clean pearly whites and sweet breath. ;)

:mad As others have said...he is a DOG, and doesn't need human food. Fresh RAW meat, bones,egg,fish, and some fruit /veg,with maybe a good quality kibble.

Some dogs are very good at training their humans .... they will use those brown eyes to get what they see us eating.....even though it can be something which makes them ill. :)

Sometimes we give our dogs food which looks and smells good to our eyes....but a dog just doesn't see/smell things the same way :)

Edited by persephone

Thank's everyone!

I'm going to go to Upmarket Pets today at lunch time to get some more eukanuba and maybe some cheap bikkies for a little snack in the morning.

Mmm too much variety you think? Yeah i'll keep that in mind.

Yep round my little finger for sure guys - I know that!!!

He get's a big bone every weekend for his teeth.

Lisa :laugh: