Your Experienced Opinions

O-Ren

Which is more a/effective in your honest opinion????

From what i have seen the only difference according to them and ppl i ask who sell it is the price difference

:) :) :mad

HELP?

thanking you all

Edited by O`ren

Revolution(Phizer) is far more effective than Advantage, hence the price!

Advantage (Bayer) treats heartworm and fleas, and as does Revolution which also treats sarcoptic mange, earmites. The Bayer equivalent to Phizer's Revolution is Advocate, but Advocate also does Roundworm and Whipworm

Sentinel Spectrum does Heartworm, Fleas, Roundworm, Whipworm and Tapeworm.

We use revolution I'm really happy with it (frontline seemed to stop working with the fleas).

The revolution also cleared up my labs ear mite probs - no yuccy ears now :)

It does get a bit expensive with 4 dogs.

FWIW here's what I just posted on the liquid ivermectin thread:

I-Rex, while it's true that some dogs do carry the gene that makes them sensitive to ivermectin type drugs, so far, no Border Collies in the American testing have been found to have the mutation. There have been Border Collie deaths and adverse reactions, but it seems that they have come from inaccurate dosing with oral ivermectin intended for large animals.

The several vets I have spoken to about this have no problems with giving Heartgard tablets to Border Collies - provided you have the correct dosage. That said, I personally would be wary of using the injections - but that's just me being cautious.

Here drug sensitivity gene link is a link on the work done in the US. And apparently the sensitivity is to all the avermectin type drugs, not just ivermectin.

Barb

ACK! I jsut did a copy/paste, and of course the url link didn't come over properly. It's on the other thread, anyway.

Edited by Tassie

o`ren is already on Sentinal Spectrum but i was wondering which to treat her for fleas- SS is not helping the flea prob- vet suggested either revolution or advantage on top of the SS..or if someone can suggest an even better idea id love to hear it

we live rural where its dry and dusty and grassy with cows and sheep around so flea/tick treatment is a must :laugh:

I used to use Revolution but have switched Sentinal Spectrum to avoid giving both the Revolution and a seperate wormer. I was also told by a Vet that Revolution and some other spot on treatments are not suitable for pets that swim and I was somewhat put off after an area of paint melted off my wall where my dog was lying against it after being treated. I realise this incident doesn't necessarily mean that it is harmful to dogs but it made me reluctant to use the product again for what I hope are obvious reasons :laugh:

Guest LittlePixie

Under my own name now :laugh:

Revolution(Phizer) is far more effective than Advantage, hence the price!

Advantage (Bayer) treats heartworm and fleas, and as does Revolution which also treats sarcoptic mange, earmites. The Bayer equivalent to Phizer's Revolution is Advocate, but Advocate also does Roundworm and Whipworm

Advantage does not treat heartworm. It only does fleas.

Advantage Duo did heartworm and fleas, but this product is no longer on the market, having been replaced by Advocate.

Going largely from customer feedback, Advantage is more effective than Revolution at killing fleas. I have never used Revolution myself, so I'm not speaking from personal experience, rather from what the majority of customers over 4 years working in a pet supply store have told me!

The price difference between Advantage and Revolution has nothing to do with how effective either is... it's because Revolution also treats heartworm, sarcoptic mange and earmites. Although I guess for that reason you could say Advantage is totally ineffective at controlling heartworm :(

Little Pixie you are correct. Advantage only treats fleas! Advocate is the competing product for Revolution. The price difference between Revolution and Advocate is Minimal $2 or$3 i think.

They all work just in different ways so it just depends where you live. I have been selling vet products for years and I have found that people living in the suburbs prefer Frontline and where i am now is quite sandy and they find Advantage and Advocate work better!! It also depends where your dog sleeps, does it have acsess to under the house, and do you own an outside cat. All of these factors will affect the amount of fleas you have and there for the effectiveness of the product you are using.

First thing DO NOT let your dog under the house, That is where fleas breed and it is just to big of a burdon for the flea product. As quick as the product is killing the fleas more are just replacing them. And make sure you treat you cat for fleas as well. Chances are that your cat is who is bringing the fleas into your house.

Best thing to do is ask your local Vet nurse what works best in that area. They sell these products every day and they are who hears if the products dont work. And last but not least dont be scabby, if you find your dog is getting fleas before the month is out then treat them a week or two early.

Hope this is a little heplful??? :laugh:

Edited by O Firefox

Hi I've switched to advantix for some months now and highly recommend it as it also protects from ticks my boy picked up a brown dog tick in our back yard and this product was recommend by many ppl and I know of ppl who had lots of trouble controling fleas switched to advantix and no more fleas, it protects from paralysis ticks, brown dog tick & bush tick, prevention of fleas reduces the incidence of flea allergy dermatitis, larval flea stages are killed in the surrondings of advantix treated pets,

the control of lice trichodectes canis linognathus setosus for 6 weeks

repelling & killing of sand flies

the other great thing about this product it repells mosquitoes so therefore takes away some risk with heart worm I was told you don't need to use heartworm prevention at all but I still give them a monthly tablet just to be on the safe side.

Cheers,

michelle

thanks heaps!!

pixie- nope no access to under the house *there is none haha, and no outside cat he is indoors only- o`ren sleeps inside of a night tho is outside for the day

Have you looked at www.pricelesspets.com.au for their prices?.

WOW, yup- *add to favourites

ty so much!!!

O'ren Sentinel is great and I belive the company has a 100% guarantee if you have any problems when you buy it through your vet....cant remember the company...they will be on the net.

I know Sentinel is a little expensive but because I don't have to dose my guys with any thing else one tab once a month it works out cheaper. My vet gave me a free pack of capstar if I ever see a flea just pop that tab and fleas are dying in 15minutes. I understand that Capstar is very cheap....but very effective