Chicken Frames.

Fido

I have always fed my middle- sized dogs raw chicken wings and necks. Today I noticed fresh chicken frames at a local chicken shop, and wondered if these are OK to feed as is?

Fido. :cry:

Ok,so I'm dumb,but you give them the carcass as is?With all those little rib bones and everything?I know I sound dumb,but I haven't be brave enough to venture from wings and necks as far as chooks are concerned. :cry:

Hi jodie, I saw your post in regards to this a few weeks ago which noone responded to initially BUT they did respond eventually!! :cry:

My response from the other thread...

It's ok Jodi, I'm dumb too!! Same question from me!! Help...tell us!! We need one of those books called " An Idiot's Guide to Feeding Chicken Frames"

and the responses were...

1 chicken frame (yes, the whole frame)
The question re frames:

I buy the frames from Woolies (at the moment) and freeze. These would be human grade meat.

I feed our Dobe a whole frame about every 2nd or 3rd day as her evening meal.

I was using some pet grade chicken mince - but I got the impression it wasn't good for her. The frames are no mre expensive anyway, so we are staying with them. The are also good for back teeth crunching, which they don't get with the big bones.

No problems to report re feeding the frames whole - and sometimes partly frozen.

So Jodie...there we have it...we can feed them whole!! bones, gutty bits and all!

Guest magnum

It's a cheap way to feed dogs, however you always must be very careful with uncooked chicken.

We did feed chicken frames for years as a treat, only late last year one of our boys almost died from having a chicken frame :cry: After getting many warnings from our vet not to feed them as he has seen dogs bloat etc from them, it took us to almost loose our boy to stopping feeding them.

Be careful, some may never have a problem but we are now not willing to take the risk any longer :cry:

My littlies get chicken frames too - chew up every little bit with absolute relish :cry:

( I do think it's wise to monitor your dogs with them until you know HOW they are eating them - if you've got a gulper and they try to swallow it whole - you might have a few problems :cry: )

Hi

My GSD's love them.

The only thing I would say on them is, if the dog is a pig at eating and won't chew properly I'd be very careful, this goes for chicken necks as they fit nice and snuggly in the throat.

Edited by pesh

I've been told by my vet not to feed raw chicken, whether necks/frames/wings - both because of the bone issue & also because of potential food poisoning issue. My cats were once poisoned by raw chicken so I am happy to take her advice on this one (though the dogs are very sad as they LOVE them !)