Pet Food Survey - For Colledge ;)

Chicken of Beef?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What (meat) do you prefer feed your dogs??

• Raw chicken mince
    • Cooked Chicken Mince
    • Raw Beef Mince
    • Cooked Beef Mince
    • pre packaged, processed meat 'rolls'
    • Canned food
  2. 2. Which Dry food Do you prefer?

• Eagle Pack
    • Eukanuba
    • Iams
    • Royal Canin
    • Advance
    • Science Diet
    • Supercoat
    • Pedigree Pal
    • Pro Plan
    • Other.. Please specify with reply
  3. 3. Which do you prefer to 'Add' To your dogs dinner

• Raw Bones
    • Chicken Necks
    • Chicken Wings
    • Chicken Frames
    • Lambs Heart
    • Beef Liver
    • Other.. Please specify in reply

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

Eeek... I need to be able to pick more than one thing!

What (meat) do you prefer feed your dogs??

Diesel and Indy get heaps of different sorts, breakfast is either raw chicken mince (with bones etc. included) or sardines in oil.

Which dry food do you prefer?

They're both on Purina ProPlan - Indy has just switched over from the Puppy formula onto Performance, but I'll have to watch her because she's a guts (Diesel, on the other hand, is impossible to keep weight on). So far we've tried them on Supercoat, Optimum, Purina One and now the ProPlan which seems the best by far.

Which do you prefer to 'Add' To your dogs dinner

Everything! Raw bones, chicken necks, chicken wings, lamb flaps/rosettes, kangaroo tails, natural yoghourt, flaxseed/fish oil, beef/chicken broth...

when it comes to raw meat, i feed him chunks of beef (usually), and he also gets a few chicken wings every week, but also might get a large marrow bone when/if he’s teeth are getting bad. With dried food, he gets 1cup (if I only feed him dry) a day, which usually consist of ¾ of supercoat and ¼ of advance energy. The night before a trial or a long training session it’s reversed (1/4 supercoat and ¾ advance energy). He also gets the same thing the night we get home (after we’ve finished training or trialing). Apart from that he also gets pasty, veggies, rice, chicken necks and heaps of other stuff.

Main meals: Varies

I feed Raw or cooked cubed chicken, beef & beef heart, not mince.

1. Cooked meat & heart with eggs & shells, fruit, vegies, mackerel, brown rice, lentils. Fish oil & cider vinegar.

2. Raw meat plus calcium to balance with Canidae kibble.

3. NZ's ZiwiPeak Cuisine,

2 x Raw Chicken necks for breakfast.

Treats from Ziwi Peak or dried liver.

I will only feed kibble made with human grade food without artificial anything :rolleyes:

The first 2 or 3 ingredients on the list must be named meats, no generic items. eg. Chicken meal is fine, poultry meal isn't it can come from any bird. Beef meal is fine, meat meal I'll leave to your imagination.

Runny eyes and coat staining is a major problem for my dog with 2nd rate commercial foods.

Canidae kibble is imported from the US and was the best food available here in NZ.

NZ's Ziwi Peak all natural, dehydrated, no grain food will probably replace it.

All the best for the Future :laugh:

Edited by Ashka

Hi Ashlea,

For dinners, I use raw minced chicken carcasses combined with raw beef mince or roo mince, then add either

- a commercial product (grains etc), or

- my own mix of raw fruit, veg, grains

Breakfasts are one of:

- dry food (eaglepack)

- chicken neck

- beef or lamb bone (small, with as little fat as possible)

Peebs has allergies, so I try to keep his diet as additive free as possible. The only food I have problems with is:

- chicken wings - Peebs is too small/lazy to eat them (too much crunching required)

- bones that are swallowable - Nessie is a bit of a guts so I have to make sure that bones are not too small or she swallows them whole :rofl:

- canned food - pooooeeeyy - the farts that this produces :laugh: (I use Natures gift cans for emergencies)

Good luck with your studies :rolleyes:

With the dallys because you must watch the protein levels its bonnie white and lite and chicken carcass and wings, occassionally they will get left over pasta/rice and at the moment a bit of crayfish, but mainly bonnie and chicken :rolleyes:

I didn't fill in the poll because I have tried a few types of foods with my dog until I found something that kept some weight on him and that he would do well on and stay interested in.

Commercial foods I have used:

Supercoat biscuits

Canned food (I think natures gift)

Pal puppy (for a week of two when he was a pup)

My dog has only ever really gotten canned food occasionally, if I run out of meat etc, and don’t have time to get more, and it is usually only for a week or two that he is on it, and he also would get eggs etc. He was feed on supercoat from a pup to about 9-10 months old.

Pal gave him the runs.

My dog prefers the canned food over supercoat/biscuits. After a while he wouldn't eat all of his supercoat so I changed his diet.

I find that canned food makes my dog loose so much weight, even if he is only on it for a week or two. Supercoat is similar, but his weight loss with supercoat is due to not eating the whole meal. But while he was on it he was doing pretty well at the start, but after a while he decided he didn’t like it, and he wasn’t looking as good as he was before.

With commercial food my dog was gassy (very smelly), especially with the canned food, and there was more poo in the yard, his condition wasn’t as good as now. (more so with canned food)

Now I feed chicken mince, fruit and veg, rice/pasta, bones, chicken carcasses/bones, whole egg, sardines, and some milk and cheese occasionally. He also gets some scraps as a treat (usually cooked meat and veg) I don't include that in his meal, so he gets extra every now and then. He does very well on this diet.

There is less poo in the yard, his farts don’t smell very bad (if at all) he looks better, and I can put weight on him without feeding him ridiculous amounts (he would still loose weight being fed 1.2 kilos of canned food) he doesn’t need as much of it to gain or maintain his weight.

My dog weighs about 25 kilos and he is about 60 cms at the shoulder

Hope that helped :)

Edited by klb_543

:) well we are sticking with royal canin i love how it is geared towards researching the needs of individual breeds and ages ect we like to mix this up with eagle pack.we also feed raw meat rice and vegies,bailey my collie male loves raw duck and will decimate it in minutes,my female dog kira loves kangaroo steak,mince whatever.also bailey is still enjoying the odd can of science plan puppy cos he is still slightly underweight( a mixture of being stolen from his breeder at six weeks of age and his high activity levels not neglect).both dogs are fed oily fish like sardines and mackerel at least once a week.i sometimes put olive oil on their dried kibble due to baileys leg.they also enjoy porridge in the morning with puppy milk.i know im going to cause outrage with the next statement but my uncle is a food scientist and has informed me that the commercial food brands available in your supermarket ie pal advance supercoat ect or what can be termed as lower market priced foods contain high levels of sugar and by products as fillers the sugar is what attracts the dogs and addicts them in the same way humans are addicted to chocolate(some of the supermarket brands contain cocoa).TO BE BLUNT LOOK AT THE STOOL SAMPLES OF DOGS ON PREMIUM OR BARF DIETS WHICH ARE DESIGNED TO MEET THE PROPER NUTRITIONAL NEEDS OF DOGS AND COMPARE IT TO DOGS FED ON SUPERMARKET LOWER PRICED BRANDED FOOD AND SEE THE DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) ;)

post-10246-1145589849_thumb.jpg

Dry Food = Bonnie Complete (for the younger 2) & Bonnie Lite (for the older ones)

Also added to this at random times - eggs, sardines, cod liver oil.

Other times chicken frames or wings. When its really cold they get gravy on their bickies.

They also get any food scraps leftover from dinner or breakfast or lunch or whatever the chickens dont get, the dogs get. And beleive me, I have labs and yes, they do eat everything.

I even give my dogs milk thats past use by date (as long as not rancid or lumpy).

• 1 month later...

I pretty much cook all the food before I feed it to my 2 (cooked chicken mince, beef mince, kidney, tripe etc). I also feed canned salmon, canned sardines, boiled eggs, fish oil tablets and raw chicken wings. I dont feed carcasses or necks cos they're too big and fatty. I feed my 2 RC Medium Adult.

I dont feed my 2 canned food very often. If I do it's mainly Nature's Gift or My Dog.

I also feed them veges and some rice at times.

I have a Neopolitan mastiff and a rhodesian ridgeback cross something. I mainly feed them (and have for all the Neo's life & most of the ridgies) Bonnie's complete, frsh beef bones, sometimes chicken mince, sometimes canned cat food (fish). The Neo is now 7yrs old & very healthy, ideal weight, desexed male. The ridgie bitch is 12yrs old really very healthy, a bit over weight desexed female.

My pup gets a variety of sardines, chicken breast, chicken necks, pasta, mixed vegetables, beef chunks and Iams kibble (he's allergic to Hills Science) or Waltham's fish and potatoe based kibble (low digestive) made by Royal Canin. No fresh bones at the moment because he doesn't chew before gulping them down.

As you may have gathered he suffers from food allergies and I am still discovering what is in and what's out. At the moment rice and roo mince is out. I'm experimenting with Natural Balance kibble (available from Qld, Vic and WA only).