Male Desexing Implant

Erny

Has anyone heard of this product and/or used it? Results?

"Aussie scientists have now developed a new implantable device that not only temporarily de-sexes your dog, but also helps to control some of the bad behaviour normally associated with intact males.

For whatever reason - many Aussie males (the human kind) see castration as lessening' their dogs masculinity or that it somehow detracts from their own....

This new implant from Peptech (ask your vet about it as we can't mention the name!) is really 'super' and currently lasts about 6 months (a new 12 month version is on the way) and if you really did want to mate your dog - registered breeders in particular are very interested in this - then you can do so at the end of that time."

(Taken from "Pet Talk Radio" download .... )

Edited by Erny

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted about this a while ago in the show section and found that mst thought it would shink their package too much for showing and then in general but had no replies from anyone so will be interested to follow this thread

I was thinking it could be a good alternative to desexing for showdogs but couldn't really find out if the drugs would be considered prohibited but did get told it would shink them too much to be effective fo rthe use I wanted

I've had someone pass on some information that said the drug did shrink their dog's gonads, but that they returned to normal once the drug had passed its use by date, so to speak. I don't know what this would do to the stud dog's sperm count over time, though. :D

I don't breed dogs - I'm more involved with behaviour issues. That is not to suggest that information pertaining to the affect/effect on breeding should not be posted here :cry:. From time to time I do come across people who have an aversion (for whatever good or not so good reason) to having their male dog castrated. I'm looking at this drug by Peptech from two points of view:

1. At least the dog will be inhibited from accidental breeding.
  2. Where problems might be mallowed by de-sexing, this drug might be an option for those who find de-sexing aversive.

I don't mean this to become an argument for "de-sex -vs- non-desexing". Just sometimes (fortunately, not too many) I do have contact with people that no matter what, de-sexing will not be entertained.

Mind you, I'm not big on "de-sexing fixes everything" anyway (eg aggression). However, in such type cases, I do find that the male dog, once de-sexed, becomes emotionally less reactive. IE The threshold for aggression might be lowered. This assists when then working to reduce the "habit" factor of the behaviour.

Note that I use "aggression" as an example (albeit an important one). There are many other problematic behaviours which can begin as a result of the testosterone flow, and then progress to become learnt behaviours.

I'm interested to know the affect (or reduction) on the typical entire male behaviours with the use of this drug.

The other question I have is whether, whilst on the drug, the dog assumes the body changes of a male dog that has actually been de-sexed. This seems to be another reason for some people's personal aversion to neutering their male dog.

Edited by Erny

After much research I had the Peptech Impant "Suprelorin" inserted into my 2yr old male entire British Bulldog to prevent unwanted pregnancies in our new bitch pup who is coming up to 6 months. It seemed an ideal solution as we do not wish to breed her until 18months and the implant is supposed to suppress testosterone (hence sperm) production for 6-12 months.

It has been around 2 months since the implant was inserted and to be honest i havent noticed much of a difference in his behaviour. He was never aggressive around other dogs including entire males to start with so didnt expect anything there, but he still marks his territory on every tree and post when we go for a walk which i thought might change, and he still shows some interest in sniffing our bitch's behind and unfortunately still humps the cat (the er male cat) :D

His testicles have not shrunk at all in my opinion but as his behaviour hasnt changed much so perhpas it is taking a little longer to work in him. I spoke with Peptech about the "shrinkage" and they said that the testes only shrink by a third, so should still be ok for showing.

I will give you an update if I notice anything else, can't say I have a before photo to compare if anyone is interested in shrinkage from a show perspective, but for my purposes the implant seemed ideal and apparently full sperm production returns even after 5 consecutive implants (ie. 3 yrs).

Thank you, Nellybly .... I will be interested in any updates of changed behaviour; physical changes etc., as I am sure others will be too. :)

:( My image of you taking photo's of your dog's nackers makes me giggle. Thank goodness for digital camera's these days. I'm sure the photo processing labs would have to wonder at some of the things we animal enthusiasts take photo's of. :)

Edited by Erny

Ok dogbessotted I will put in my 2cents worth. Yes I have a dog who has had a superlorin implant for 12 months now. It did shrink his testis to about 1/3rd of the normal size of them

and it did take a very slight edge of his reactions to rude behaviour by other dogs and people.

It did not change him noticably at all in a phyiscal way (apart from the shrinking of the testis).

It certianly seems to have lasted the full 12 months.

Now as for normal dog stuff like marking on walks and such like it had no effect at all, but then all the males I have who have been surgicaly sterilised mark as much as any entire dogs I have had. Would I use it again? YES as soon as this waers off he will get another implant as I do not want to breed him and he did not recover at all well from the hip scoreing.

Cheers

Linda

It certianly seems to have lasted the full 12 months.

Thanks for your post, Zoiboy. The first hand information is helpful. In relation to the implant lasting 12 months, though Peptech they say they're only just now working on an implant to last 12 months and that the current ones now in use are to cover a 6 month period. Could you be sure he is still firing only blanks if the situation was to be put to the "test"?

Thanks for your post, Zoiboy. The first hand information is helpful. In relation to the implant lasting 12 months, though Peptech they say they're only just now working on an implant to last 12 months and that the current ones now in use are to cover a 6 month period. Could you be sure he is still firing only blanks if the situation was to be put to the "test"?

Hi Erny,

I was VERY supprised that the implant 'seems' to have lasted for 12 months. Now so far I base this on behaviour and the sheer fact that his testies shrank so much in the first 6 weeks and have not yet returned to normal. In the last couple of weeks they have 'grown' a bit and this has prompted me to order a new implant.

As far as the longjevity of the implant goes? I am not to sure as the lass on the phone did tell me 'at least' 6 months. Now Maremma have a very slow metabolisim and that may have some thing to do with it? If I was at all concerned about his level of fertility at this point I would have it tested. So far I have not had to bother with that tho.

I spose I am saying that in short I have seen no side effects and have been happy with my choice.

Cheers

Linda

Well as it turns out I have searched the photo files and I do have a 'before' shot that I can post, so I will take an 'after' photo tonight and post them both tomorrow with the exact date my boy was given the implant!

i'm waiting :o

(pampa @ 16th Mar 2006 - 08:12 PM)

i'm waiting

Hahaha ok this is kind of weird but here you go...

The before shot I found was taken in August 2005, sorry its not very clear but its the only one I could find, and the after shot I took this morning. The implant has been in for 7 weeks and not much change in size as far as I can see. I think his were particularly small for a Bulldog to start with so I was worried about how much they were going to shrink, but so far they still look normal. The last time he was put to stud the vet said he had an extremely high sperm count, so it will be interesting to see if this returns once the implant has worn off, hopefully no longer than 12 months.

Enjoy!

2pezzd87.jpg

2pezzd.jpg

I think his were particularly small for a Bulldog to start with 2pezzd.jpg

THAT is small :)

Well, they definately stand out like the proverbials IMHO :D

(I have 2 girls and a de-sexed sissy, so ANYTHING seems biggish to me ;) )

Thank you for the photos, I've just had my "kinky fix" for the evening (and for the next week or so ;) )...

Sorry however not to be able to add anything serious here, but it is really not up my alley :o

Thank you for the photos, I've just had my "kinky fix" for the evening (and for the next week or so )...

I felt so wrong taking that photo, I had to make sure none of the neighbours were watching :o Needless to say I won't be getting that one printed at the local shop!