Male Desexing Implant

Erny

:D Thank you so much for the photo's, Nellybly .... Couldn't help laughing at the first photo, though - even your dog's expression looks as if he was thinking this is all a bit kinky for his tastes. :)

It might be my imagination .... I've spent a little bit of time comparing the two photo's (and no, Pampa, it has nothing to do with any "nads" obsession, just in case you were wondering .... ;)).

Hard to tell, because of the two different angles, but your boy's 'nads' do seem smaller if you check to see how far they hang down beyond the black spot mark on the inside of your dog's left hind leg, in the 1st photo and then check the 2nd photo. ???? :o

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the before and after photo's :o

I do wish I could have done some thing like that but with my woolie guys it just don't show up

the way the bulldog does :D

I did get the calipirs (sp?) out and measure them tho, do you think I can find the diary now?

Any way he has a whole new implant as of this morning so things may 'shrink' again soon.

As I recall tho it did take a bit longer than 7 weeks for them to shrink to the point they did.

Cheers

Linda

I think the only way to properly measure shrinkage would be to:

1. Fill a container (with liquid volume measurements on it) up to the brim, with water.
  2. Dunk your dog's nads in it - please ensure luke warm/tepid water, for the dog's sake :o
  3. Check how much water loss there has been.

When you repeat this (say, after the implant has been in for a while), you check the volume of water loss against the 1st time, and that would give you the measurement of size loss.

Edited by Erny

OMG this is too funny!

Erny I do see what you mean, but Bubba does tend to "tigten up" in the cold and "hang loose" in the heat if you know what I mean, actually it is extroadinary to see the difference the temperature makes so that could be that which is causing the er droop :D But IMHO I really dont think there has been any change in size over the past 7 weeks!

I am glad zoiboy that you didnt notice too much shrinkage prior to 7 weeks, as I was beginning to think maybe the vet had put it in wrong or something :o I will be sure to keep you all up to date if there is any more change!

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I was just after an update on "shrinkage" for showing purposes, and clarification on sexual behaviour with implant ie will they still try to mate with bitch in season? I have 2 intact bitches and want to get a a new male puppy. Any more input?

Thanks

I got the implant for Eddie about 2 months ago now

He has shrunk to maybe 1/2 the size, and he has mellowed out alot

He is no longer trying to be dominant with us, which I put down to a combination of us chagning our behaviour and the implant

He rarely ever tries to hump our desexed bitch anymore (he used to alot) and he doesn't seem top mark as much either

I'm very happy with it, and glad we did it

I still haven't got a show answer though, I don't know what are the rules are on the subject? He still has 2 fully descended testicles, they are just smaller than they were

Haha now I dont feel so wrong...there is someone else out there willing to take photos of their dog's nads :laugh:

I can't comment from a show perspective as we are not exhibitors, however my boy's change in size was not dramatic and I would certainly still consider them to be of 'normal' size. Hope this helps!

Have they changed at all since the last pics you posted?

Yes probably shrunk just a little bit more...I will take another photo tonight and post on Monday (sorry will be away for the weekend).

Just to note though I didnt notice much of a behaviour change in Bubba, although he was never aggressive or dominating before really, so I wander if maybe it hasnt worked as 'strongly' in him as other dogs? My girl hasnt come on heat yet but should be soon so I will let you know if he is interested in her at all.

Have they changed at all since the last pics you posted?

Yes probably shrunk just a little bit more...I will take another photo tonight and post on Monday (sorry will be away for the weekend).

When you send in new pic, could you also attach the original, as I missed that one and can't access it.

Ta

Any [further] changes to behaviour that you can detect?

Thread is becoming quite informative - not to just us here, but others who chose to visit and read. Also interesting from a progressive point of view. (ie the "before" and "afters"). Thanks for the input. I'm listening in. Have a spayed bitch, so no need of the implant for me. But certainly something that pet owners might undertake when they are totally opposed and will not entertain the idea of neutering their pet dog.

Not to mention the convenience when a dog of breeding stock is running with a bitch but whose "equipment" is not yet required. :rainbowbridge:

Or for those who think they might show, but haven't decided yet.

bel... u mean mean mother.. pooor eddie. how embarrasing..

lol no really its good that there is a lot of info out there and we can help each other by our own..or our dogs experiences..

Is there such thing for girl dogs? That would actually be briliant alternative to desexing and if there is such thing for girls they can alternate...... :o Although I am guessing even shorter term would be fine, I guess around the time the female is in heat, they dont really need 6 month inplant. Does anyone know if they have shorter term implants, like 3 months?

As far as temperamet, its I guess like desexing, some dogs have no change in behaviour, some do......

Edited by Skipy

I think the company initially did this for females, they are called peptech

The implant is suprelorin i think

The reason we got it was because we werent sure if we were going to show him yet and I wanted to see what effect desexing would have on him