Itchy Puppy

spikey

Interesting, I got my test results back and she has both contact (atopic ?) and food allergies, with only the elimination diet suggested at present.

Just thought I'd add the test was done via her blood which like Spike's was also sent to the US for testing.

What do you do with a dog allergic to so many different things ? what should be done first ?

Edited by Hazz

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hazz, when you say elimination diet what do you mean? Do you mean just taking out the foods the dog is allergic to and not feeding them anymore? Because an true elimination diet is the manual way of testing to see what foods a dog might be allergic to... if you already know from the blood test there is no point in doing an elimination diet :rofl:

Are you seeing a GP vet or a dermatologist? Can I ask what the dog is allergic to? If you are seeing a dermatologist I am not sure why they are not suggesting immunotherapy for the atopy.

If you give me some more info, like what the allergies actually are, I might be able to help more :)

Dan

Ah, ok I just reread your post too: contact and atopic allergies are different, vastly different. So you need to know which ones she actually has... if you tell me what she is allergic to I should be able to give you a better idea.

Atopic are air born, like hayfever, so plant pollens etc.

Contact are to something they have physical contact with and are actually rare. They can be to plants, chemicals and other things.

Dan

Hi Dan, I *think* the 'elimination diet' was to rid the toxins out of her body (from eating the foods she's allergic to) also this was suggested by my normal vet. Also to avoid contact with the other allergens.

I'm really at a loss as what really to do, the vet has said to put her on this diet for 4weeks to see if there is improvement but really she can't be on the diet forever :rofl:

I've PMed you the list of the things she's allergic to.