Eagle Pack Large/giant Breed Puppy Formula

I've just finished slowly changing my puppies onto Eagle Pack Large/Giant Breed Puppy Formula and I'm a little disappointed with it. I had them on the Advance Puppy Rehydratable and they did well on that, but I've had a few soft poos with the Eagle Pack and they always seem to be hungry. Also their poos are full of little specks which I presume is the finely ground corn which is obviously only being used as a filler as they're not digesting it.

I already use Eagle Pack for my adults and I've been very happy with it, but the Puppy Formula doesn't seem to be working for these puppies.

Has anyone else used this product? What did you think? Has anyone used the Advance Large Breed Puppy?

Holly has had good experiances with the Advance Large breed puppy, unfortunately she's modded at the moment, it could be worth PM'ing her ?

As to the Eagle Pack large/giant breed...all i have read is what is on their website...which of course says "fantastic stuff"

Does EP have the 'Palatability guarentee" (sp) that the other super premium foods have? (Eg if not happy take left over food and reciept back to store for full refund)

I used the Giant breed puppy with my Dogue. Great stuff but I wouldnt feed him exclusively on it. I soaked it, mixed it with chicken necks and then the other meal was chicken necks w/ cooked veges and rice.

It was great for his coat and fixed his flat feet right up. Cant complain but the price is not something I'd sustain a 45kg dogue on :(

I used the Large Breed puppy on my Golden from between 4 and 6 or 7 months of age, then went over to the EP Natural Holistic Adult so both my girls were on the same one! The litter had been raised on Purina Pro Plan, which i also find an excellent food, but it is a complete food and i like to feed other foods. I also feed some raw meat/vegies/BARF patties and bones, plus some other goodies like cottage cheese, sardines, the odd egg, and natural yoghurt. Mine are doing really well on it. If you need to buy the adult EP, Pet Stock have it on special for $76 for 18kg. I think the Large Breed Puppy was also on special, but couldn't tell you how much.

Goldie - just because a kibble is a 'complete' food doesn't mean you can't add extras...Just that you don't have to. Of course to much of the extra's can lower the benefit of the complete kibble..

Yep, exactly!

It can be very difficult to explain canine nutrition to puppy buyers or people new to dogs, so i've always found it best to discuss what will suit them best. Some just want to feed dry and the odd bone... others want to feed different foods, but many don't know what foods to avoid or to use in limited quantities.

Hi Miranda.

Try the Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken. It doesn't contain corn. All the Holistic selections are great and don't contain corn. My dog was on the Holistic chicken which is suitable for puppies and adult. He's on Holistic Seafood now.

Hi

Just questioning, can you or cant you suppliment with the premium foods, we are on proplan, switching to either iams, or EP, will have a proper look when i get to petstock this arvo, but read this: http://www.eukanuba.com/en_AU/jhtmls/nutri...en_AU&bc=E&pti=

I couldnt possibly live on biscuits 24/7 and wouldnt expect my dog to, either, so Im not sure what to do.

Of course, I want him on a super premium, but here it is saying dont add cause of the balance, and I have been on the pro plan, which is tiny little biscuits, which get caught in his wrinkles :cheers: (his jows ?sp?) with added mutton, barf patties, egg, cheese, etc (not all at once lol)

Im after a larger, must chew dry, so he gets his digestive system going with the chewing, not just gulp, gulp, swallow, no breakage of the bics, which is what is happening at the mo, and it seems royal canin has the biggest bics, but cant get them here in the puppy, only the junior, and he is only 5 months, not the recommended 8.

Im so confused to what to do, we dont have huge dogfood places here, only petstop, which is a drive, but worth it.

With a larger breed dog, MOST research indicates that a lot of Puppy/growth formula's contain too much protein. Protein is essential for adequate growth, but with the large breeds you want that growth to be gradual and more sustained. Some of the super premium foods have a high percentage of protein. I've never looked into IAMS personally. My choice would be Eagle Pack, but it may not suit you if you're looking at a larger biscuit. Come to think of it, most of the brands i've used have smaller sized kibble. I guess another thing you could consider is giving more raw meaty bones to give his teeth and mouth a bit of a workout.

Many Golden breeders change their pups over from Puppy to adult food at 5 or 6 months, but i'm not sure how large your breed gets?

If you switch from Proplan to Iams you are taking a step down in quality... Euk is the 'super premium' as Iams is the 'premium' - same company just a bit of a different quality of food. So if you were wanting to change to that 'company' and quality go with the Euk over the Iams.

Nutrience has a fairly large kibble for large breed pups, tho not as big as the Royal Canin. I take it the PetStock can't get the Giant Puppy in for you? They should be able to...but if they can't, i'd consider putting your pup on the Junior that little bit early. But Nutrience is i think a larger kibble then the others (proplan, euk, advance - don't know about EP) so that might be worth giving a go until your pup is 8 months or so then switch to RC?

As to the adding stuff to complete kibbles as long as you aren't adding more then say...20% of extra's per meal with the kibble then you won't lose the benefits of the kibble itself.

cheers for that Kitkat, finally I am understanding, thanks to the advice.

Nope, we cant get puppy here, Ive asked, which is really what I want to get him onto. I have also heard big things about nutrience, and have looked at the euk just now, and it is just the same as proplan, really, well, not much difference.

Does anyone know where I can get nutrience from, and is it a premium, or super premium, and is there much difference really to sp and prem.?

Can I get it from petstock?

just out of curiosity also, cause everywhere you go, you get a different view, I know, but why do they have a specific breed puppy food, if it has too much protein for the growth of the dog?

I think I may if unable to get him onto nutrience, then just switch him over to RC junior, even though its a tad early. if he is going to stop retching etc from the gutzing of his food, all the better, I spose.

by the way, he is a dogue de bordeaux, and should weigh upwards of 50 kgs as an adult, currently 18kgs give or take at 16 weeks.

once again, cheers guys for the advice.

from Jodie

edited cause I dont know how to spell the breed name of my puppy ::cheers::

Edited by jodee

Does anyone know where I can get nutrience from, and is it a premium, or super premium, and is there much difference really to sp and prem.?Can I get it from petstock?

You should be able to get it from Petstock - at least the PetStock's up here carry the range. Nutrience is a 'super premium' food. And there is a difference in the quality of ingredients etc between the sp and prem...tho not as noticible as say between supercoat and RC for example.

just out of curiosity also, cause everywhere you go, you get a different view, I know, but why do they have a specific breed puppy food, if it has too much protein for the growth of the dog?

I think a lot depends on your interpretation of things. Eg protien....i think more depends on the quality of protien then the amount for example. Someone posted a link to a very good bit of documentation but i can't seem to find it.

But the 'super premium' dog food companies have tested their theories, where as barf and low protien stuff is slowly being tested i think now. But as with all things i think a lot comes back to the individual dogs.

I think I may if unable to get him onto nutrience, then just switch him over to RC junior, even though its a tad early. if he is going to stop retching etc from the gutzing of his food, all the better, I spose

It's not going to hurt him and it's only by a few months....and the kibble is quite a bit larger in the junior then the puppy...for all that that's a fair sized kibble as well...lol.

Found it from Espinay2

Some aticles that may answer your qustions regarding protein:

Protein in the Diet: http://b-naturals.com/Nov2005.php

Protein Amounts and Puppies: http://b-naturals.com/Jan2004.php

in this thread here

I had my GR puppy on Pro Plan for only 2 months as she developed really bad flakey skin that was only getting worse. I tried all sorts of shampoos etc. until I finally took her to the vet who suggested a diet change. I changed to EP Large/Giant breed Puppy and within 2 months the flaking had completely gone and she has a nice shiny coat. She is 7 months now and as Goldielover said, most breeders change over now to Adult, however I checked the packages of both at Petstock the other day and the only difference in the 2 is that the Large/Giant breed Puppy has double the amount of Glucosamine in it. Isn't glucosamine supposed to be good for their growing joints and therefore wouldn't it be best to leave them on the puppy formula until they fully finish growing? Protein amounts are exactly the same, as well as most of the other 'essential' vitamins and minerals, just the glucosamine is doubled in the puppy. So why do most people change now?

So why do most people change now?

I change my dogs over at about 12-15 months. A lot of people change over early/late/etc due to their ideas of protien intake and growth rates.

As to your pup's reaction to proplan...it's a matter of finding out what works for your dog :cheers: as i believe that every dog is different and different things will suit some better then others. And if your dog does well on something...stick to it, if you feel they could do better then try something else and go from there :D