Puppy Dilemma

zara

Can some one please give me some advice. I have a 7mth old female britany. The problem is she always jumps up on people and bites them. Don't get me wrong they are friendly nips but get frustrating, especially when my 3 human children can't go out the back yard with her as she tends to send them flying and her nips are alot harder to them. She gets plenty of attention and excercise, plenty of toys and bones to chew on. Any advice would be appreciated. :cheers:

It all comes down to training her not to do these things...if you have to start with her on a lead and use food a a reward for good behaviour.

If the kids are running around and having a good time laughing etc. this will most likely be exciting her to the point of nipping etc.

Good luck

Definately obedience, you will be surprised how quickly they learn when you put the time in (and it doesn't really take that long either)

And also take some time to train the kids to spend time with her when they teach her not to jump, putting hands in pockets works as they will normally try to nip and hands

Ignore her when she jumps so that she learns that jumping doesn't get her attention, and pat her when she is still and on the ground, if she jumps again ignore her again

We used it with Eddie and it works with us, we are now trying to get others to do it to (friends and family) He is 8 months

We also have a new girl who is 8 months and she is very similar to your girl so we will be going through it too, the jumping and mouthing

Edited by shoemonster

Yes definately dog obedience. It works wonders. You must be there when the children are out playing, and use the word no or bah in a harsh voice. But also make sure the children are stirring her up or even if there is an adult that has fun stirring the dog will often lead to mouthing.

Or you can try step two, pull her teeth out lol.

Ok that was not so funny. But yes definately dog obedience.

Puppy obedience has helped Orson. He used to nip me all the time because he thought he could trample all over me cos I'm a big softie.

He still bites when things dont go his way but it's a lot less. I'm going back with obedience training with him starting next week so hopefully it'll help us more. My goal is to get him to bring the ball back to me cos he :rofl: balls (he lets me have it instead of growling now which is a good start)

You have already been given some great advise from the others.

As to the jumping up, definately ignoring, not making eye contact and turning away. Also lifting your knee up will help aswell.

Hands in pocket for the nipping is a great deterent.

I would recommend Obedience training, and re-training of the 'skin' kids aswell.

Look up the NILIF (Nothing in life is free) program on Google. A dog is only as good as their owner. Start working with her, if you're not knowledgable with training head along to a club.

Edited by sas

Re jumping I have a big rescue kelpie here who would launch himself at me and get to eye level, :rofl:

I looked in some training books and I found the best one was turn my back on him and cross my arms,it really works he now comes up and sits so nicely at my feet waiting for his pat :)it is so cool and such a change. Hope that helps.

Thanks all. My pup is starting at abedience classes start of April, so hopefully that will help me get it all under control. I have starting some training with your advice myself. I ignore her when she jumps, or i hold my knee up, (she doesn't seem to like an encounter with my knee.) I myself have usually ignored her or put my knee in her way, but now i make a special note of deffinately doing it. As for friends and family, instead of politely asking them not to pat her when she jumps on them or for them to encourage her to jump on them i give them the hugest lecture, (they are now to scared of me to do it) :mad I'd be scared of myself as well! So far i am already noticing a difference in her behaviour to me. She obeys her basic commands now for me and sits instead of jumping the majority of the time. Any one else, well they pat her before so they will pat her again if she jumps. She is getting there though. All in all i have realised that with obedience classes and friends actually showing a bit of respect for what i am trying to do and helping me out by not allowing these things as well she will soon learn. :mad Thanks all i will let you know how we go and how many friends i end up kicking out! :mad