Puppy Chewing Problems

totally bullies

Hi,

We have a 10 week old Stafford pup who is heavily into chewing. He has a kong, bones, teething rings, you name it, he owns it! Trouble is he still likes the dining table legs that are brand new and when OH finds out we are both in $%(#*. :rofl::rofl:

Anyway, any suggestions on what I can put on the furniture to deter him shewing. I heard citronela works?

Cheers

Ali

post-7191-1143350181_thumb.jpg

Oh you poor thing, the joys of puppyhood :rofl: There is a spray that I bought from Pet Barn, think it was called Scram, you can spray it on things you want them to stay away with and also places you don't want them to urinate in. It worked a treat for Rosie :rofl: I'm sure if you ask the staff they will know what I'm talking about (pretty sure it had citronella in it).

Good luck and hope OH isn't too peeved.

Take Care

Riles

Crate training is the answer to heaps of puppy problems. If you buy a crate and put the pup in it when he is inside, place it somewhere where he can see you, it will keep him out of trouble. Put his toys in with him, feed him in there... no need to supervise anymore and he will have a safe place he can retreat to and call his own. It's a wonderful solution, also helps with the toilet training as they generally learn not to go when in the crate.

Edit to say: puppies need to chew. You control their environment, so don't leave anything within their reach that you don't want chewed. As it is a bit difficult to move the furniture, you need to contain the pup.

Edited by xavier

He is being crate trained and sleeps in his crate but we like to have him out as much as possible. The biggest prob is the kids as they will be playing with him but then forget to put him back in the crate!

I certainly agree with crate training and it is great for toilet training!

Cheers

Ali

Thanks All, keep the worse stories coming so I don't feel so bad!!!! My Bullmastiffs have been angels but i should have known with a Stafford. LOL.

His name is Dash KW68, and hopefully the next DOL meet in Canberra, I can make and he will be fully immunised so I can bring him and my Brindle Bully who thinks she is a Stafford!

Cheers

Ali

Our 12 week old stafford has decided our lounge would make a great lunch. He started with the corners, but has moved on to the seat. We cant get angry at him though as we have never caught him in the act!

Ihave a big hole in the carpet where Onslow ripped it - in a rented house - eeekk but worse last night he was chewing on something and I thought it was a stick and it was a permanent marker and he chewed it in the bedroom on the carpet - double yikes - any ideas how to remove it!

Oh, Onslowsmum, you poor thing. I have a book that says if you use 1 cup hot water with 2 tablespoons of borax, pour it on and leave overnight, then scrub the next day, most of it should come out. Not sure if it will work but it is worth a try. We have just renovated and thank god we have all tiles now!!!!

Cheers

Ali

chilli sauce. The hot (not too hot or Sweet chilli) stuff and smear it on the legs, try the asian sections at supermarkets. Citronella may eat the finish on the legs so test it first. Plus it can be really pongy in the warm weather.

Insanely hot chilli was the only thing that stopped my Malinois. Tried just medium and she still ate it the dumb bum. Keep a big bowl of water handy though

They love wood for some reason....we lost a table, bbq trolley, trees and all my work shoes. We used hot english mustard and a deterant spray and it seems to have worked. Clyde is still an avid chewer and will munch down on things left lying around the yard. Just be sure to give them loads of stimulation.

My dogs eat anything that is not nailed down. :) When I had my shar-pei, him and bella (BC x) at the lounge, NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!!!!!!

I still have Bella but also have Horatio (Amstaff) and yes they still eat everthing in sight. Lost a thong the other day, and my new room mate lost his comb to the theiving duo. I have lost countless bras and other assortments, not to mention books (an valuable ones at that) :) But have never actually seen the little buggers do it, it's like they are invisiable, one minute the item is there, the next it is in the back yard in pieces :)

attachmentid=34622] My little angel. :shhh:

Oh my lord....the dining table legs? :(

My staffy is just 6 months old, I thought the initial chewing stage was over, but last week she was left alone for about 1/2 an hour, she chewed the waste paper basket, an assortment of leggo toys, a newspaper (shredded it actually) our other dogs collar and tags....half a shoe, and the bottom part of the curtain. :rofl:

Outside is even better, hoses, hose fittings, one wooden step, various trees, her big soft bedding cushion (totally destroyed everything including the zipper..lol) a football, a basketball, my sons toy cars, the doormat....oh the list goes on and on. :)

Such a joy, wouldnt swap her for anything though. :rofl:

post-6493-1143759089_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cazbear