Help! Puppy Waking In The Night And Going Off His Head.

Natashja

Chomsky, our 9.5 week old mini poodle pup, has very recently developed some new behaviour that we’re not sure how to deal with. I’d better give you some background first.

1. We’ve had Chomsky for a week and a half. Until Saturday just past, Chomsky was successfully using newspaper and sleeping through the night without complaint

2. On Saturday night, my partner and I went to a wedding and we left Chomsky home alone with the TV on, the lights on, fresh water, plenty of toys and some puppy kibble. He had been left for a couple of hours at a time before, but this was the longest he was left alone (we went out at 6pm and came home at midnight). When we got home he was asleep (we could see in through our kitchen window) but woke up when he heard the door open and started barking and carrying on like mad. At 2am when he wouldn’t calm down (and fearing retribution from the neighbours) we took him to our bed. Once he started to doze (3am) I returned him to his bed in the kitchen and he was fine.

3. We spent all of Sunday playing and hanging out with Chomsky, and he happily went off to bed in our kitchen around 9pm. At midnight (same time as we arrived home the night before) he went berzerk – barking, scratching at the kitchen door and then what sounded like he was throwing himself against it. We waited for a pause in the hysteria and went to the kitchen. When we arrived, Chomsky had eliminated in the middle of the kitchen floor (far away from the newspaper) and was incredibly aggressive (biting and growling at both my partner and I). I picked him up and held him tightly against my body to try and calm him (this time we stayed in the kitchen with him and did not take him to our bed). 45 minutes later, he was tired and calm enough to be returned to his bed.

Naturally, I am dreading a repeat performance tonight. Once of our neighbours has already complained this morning and we can’t allow the behaviour to continue.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what we can do?

I tell everyone I know how wonderful crating is

Makes things like this so much easier, and is not in anyway mean to them

We have the crate in our bathroom attached to the bedroom, or in the actual bedroom depending if it's a hot night or a cold night (the bathrooms nice and cool on a hot night)

Molly our new girl is 8 months and has never been crated but she has taken to it very quickly and Eddie was crated from 8 weeks old and we had no real problems (after the initial wanting to get up at 5am and play thing, but as he's gotten older he's out of that now)

Is it possible he has had a fright? As in maybe a mouse in the kitchen or the likes that may have scared him? Other than that it sounds like he is like a human baby. Has now got into the habit of waking. goiod on you for not taking him into your bed again if you do not want him on your bed. Perhaps you could try crate training and start by having him locked in the crate in your room then once he is comfortable and kinows the crate means bed and sleep, then move it the room you want to be his.

Maybe now he is settled in and knows the kitchen means food, he is carrying on about that too. We are training a 10 week old ourselves and we desturbed him the other night so I just took him out for a wee then put him straight back in his crate, no talking or anything and walked away, he settled straight back down.

Also, do you have a teddy or similar for him to snuggle into?

I cannot recommend crate training high enough :mad

Hope something helps

Cheers

Ali

Crate training sounds more appealing by the minute.

He has two soft toys that he sleeps with. I have no idea if he got a fright, but I would be interested to know what it was that could have done it to him – we have no rodents and there are no other things/noises in the kitchen that could have disturbed him.

Someone I work with said that he is probably scared of being alone and when he woke up to find no one else around, he freaked out. Still, that doesn’t explain the aggressive behaviour when we entered the kitchen....does it?

Thanks so much for the advice guys, really appreciate it.

Edited by Natashja

Our puppy was doing a similar thing. The first few nights he slept right through but later down the track he would wake about 1am. One of us got up to him, took him straight outside for a wee/poo and then straight back to bed. He cried for about 15 minutes the first time we did it and the next night when he woke again at 1am, we repeated the procedure. He soon learnt that waking up at 1am would result in a toilet break and nothing more. We absolutely adore our 10 week old puppy but he's not going to be boss.By getting up to him more than once and putting him in your bed, you are only creating a rod for your own back. The fact that he is carrying on perhaps implies that he is getting the hang of the toilet training and when he wakes up he'strying to do the right thing by letting you know. The aggression might be because he is forced to do it where hedoesnt want to. Anyway, this isjust based on our very very recent experiencewith our pup. He absolutely doesnt wake up at night anymore and is very keen to go in the morning! Good luck and let us know how you go.

I'd say just the growling bit, he may have not realised who you were?? Crates make dogs feel secure, small portable pens are better if you have room in your kitchen....room for his bed and room for paper.

Crates are like a nice den though. Good luck@

While we haven't yet had a chance to get a crate (they seem really massive so we're thinking about getting a smaller transport crate), Chomsky has settled down heaps. He's no longer waking in the night and I can't tell you how fantastic it is to return to uninterrupted sleep! And thankfully, the growling was a one-off thing - for a moment there we were worried we had a dog with a temperament issue.

Hi Natashja,

Don't worry about the crate being too big for him now. He will need the room when he grows up. The little ones don't last that long as they grow rather quickly. He will find his crate appealing and good fun to run around in and learn it is a safe place to be. :)

JAG

Hi Jag, I'm not really concerned about the crate being too big for the dog, rather, too big and too ugly for the house! (Our home is highly stylised)

I know I'm in dog lover's central and will probably get flamed for this, but I think the crate should be called what it is - a cage. Nothing wrong with a cage, but wouldn’t it be more honest to call a spade, a spade?

Again, I know I’m going to get flamed for this, but I HATE the look of the cages too - every single one I looked at on the weekend was completely and utterly hideous. (Attention interior designers – there’s a huge market here for attractive dog housing)

Nonetheless, we bought one from Australian Air Express on Saturday and after tarting up the outside, it is in use. Chomsky seems to have adapted rather well to sleeping in there (he lets out one tiny whimper before nodding off) and has only stirred during the night to let us know he needs a quick trip to the bathroom.

So thanks for all the advice guys, the cage paid off!

We have been using a crate now for a very flighty 12month old GSP who would bark at clouds (anything he could see in the sky i think), and was especially bad on full moon nights. Anyway, since the introduction of the crate in the garage, everything is great. Both dogs sleep until 7ish, where they let out a 'quiet' bark to remind us that they need to go to the toilet.

Neighbours are satisfied, and we are over the moon :rainbowbridge:

I love my crate now :rofl:

I am glad you bit the bullet and bought one. Cage/crate/kennel whatever you want to call them is for the dog to feel safe and secure in. It is their little private space where they will feel comfortable. A bonus of having one is if you need to travel or stay some where with your dog he will feel like he is at home. His crate has travelled with him. Well that is if you would take it with you. :thanks: Mine all have their own to travel in the car and sleep in them when I stay at Mum's house. No problems.

Hi Jag, I'm not really concerned about the crate being too big for the dog, rather, too big and too ugly for the house! (Our home is highly stylised)
:confused: Well I am glad you have the poodle to go with the house. Nothing nicer thatn seeing a well maintained poodle with his styled hair do, poms and all.
I know I'm in dog lover's central and will probably get flamed for this, but I think the crate should be called what it is - a cage. Nothing wrong with a cage, but wouldn’t it be more honest to call a spade, a spade?
Ummm actually there is a difference.... A crate is a crate, Usually plastic with a wire front, has holes in the top half for air, approved by airlines for travel. A cage is usually wire, the new ones fold down when not in use, can be used ofr car travel and are excellent to use when away from home. A kennel of course is the "dog house" thing that we all remember from days of old, outside where fido lives. There are so many varieties these days but there is a difference.

I am glad you bit the bullet and bought one. Cage/crate/kennel whatever you want to call them is for the dog to feel safe and secure in. It is their little private space where they will feel comfortable. A bonus of having one is if you need to travel or stay some where with your dog he will feel like he is at home. His crate has travelled with him. Well that is if you would take it with you. :thanks: Mine all have their own to travel in the car and sleep in them when I stay at Mum's house. No problems.
:confused: Well I am glad you have the poodle to go with the house. Nothing nicer thatn seeing a well maintained poodle with his styled hair do, poms and all.
Ummm actually there is a difference.... A crate is a crate, Usually plastic with a wire front, has holes in the top half for air, approved by airlines for travel. A cage is usually wire, the new ones fold down when not in use, can be used ofr car travel and are excellent to use when away from home. A kennel of course is the "dog house" thing that we all remember from days of old, outside where fido lives. There are so many varieties these days but there is a difference.

LoL!!!

We chose a Poodle for several reasons - their sharp intelligence and gusto, their utterly endearing "take no prisoners" attitude, companionship (OH works from home) and because they're a low shedding breed (I hate having fur stuck to my clothes, floor and furniture). For what it's worth, Chomsky is, and shall always remain a shaggy, brown, gorgeous ball of fluff. OH and I have even agreed to never shave his face or butcher his gorgeous coat with pom poms, ribbons or any other kind of ridiculous stuff you see at shows. I hope I haven't upset too many traditionalists by thumbing my nose at convention and refusing to clip my dog in the prescribed way (that said, he does get thorough, regular brushing to ensure he never matts).

The difference between a cage and a crate appears to be a semantic one? On a functional level they do the same thing - confine the dog to a limited space. However, I do think I understand what you're saying Jag and thank you for taking the time to explain.

To us it may be a crate/cage etc but to the pup it can be a nice safe place to call his own. It can be made a pleasant experience for the pup, filled with a special treats/ toys that are not available elsewhere.

I have maremma sheepdogs and one of my girls, Lucinda, has been ill for over three years --- we started penning her at the beginning to make sure she would rest and recuperate. Now she knows that pen time is rest time and will happily trot in and sleep soundly -- if she is left un penned she will patrol the house yard through the night. Sounding very tired but determined. so for her the pen is a good place, as it is for poor dear Lucky the anxious one. In fact Lucky will stay in his pen all night even if the door is left open, and will not come out until I go get him in the mornings.