7 Month Old Male

ReXy

toby is just on 7 months old now... he is getting desexed this week... he is fully toilet trained.. so why does he lift his leg and mark everything in site INSIDE !!!! he has just started this .. our lab boy went to the bridge 2 weeks ago and i think he is trying to take over his spot and has to mark everything... had to throw out my floor rug wash my curtains and rugs on couches was walls... bad dog its discusting... any ideas???? hope this will stop soon or he will have a naughty spot outside...

I think it has something to do with marking his spot since poor Dodgy went to doggy heaven. He is probably feeling a little out of sorts and is trying to make his home feel more like his.

I hate to say this, but I agree with smelly shoes, it would be a territorial thing.

You could try a belly band...

We have a 6 year old house trained male, that will mark territory and he too will mark inside ( much to my disgust ). He will tell you when he needs to go to the toilet, but when he wants to claim something he will lift his leg.

Shut the bedroom door, that would be the last straw for me if mine went on the bed. I can only suggest a belly band ( which may not work for all dogs ) and keeping an eye on him...

How frustrating and I guess that it feels twice as bad with the recent loss of your other dog. :mad

thanks warley,, yes bedroom door is offlimits for him now.. unless im in there and he follows and i keep a very close eye on him... if he keeps it up will look into belly band he goes to vet this thursday to be desexed so we will see if anything happens when he recovers...

it is quiet a shock dodge did it once in the house when i growled he never did it again.. i have tried those sprays to supposedly discourage him... lol he doesnt care.. still did it..

• 3 weeks later...

helloo there... thought id update on toby.. he has had his "Bits" removed lol.. and he has already settled a little bit,,, yes he still marks while out,, but marking everything inside the house has stoped... which is great news... i think a combination of hormonal.. and the top dog no longer here he thought he had big shoes to fill..lol and had to take over...

overall a much happier dog and family... thanks guys

It's 'cause he still has his bits. ;)

Mel.

Honestly disagree,

I own an entire 3 year old Ch. stud dog and have owned many entire show dogs of different breeds in the past. Often more than one at a time.

Marking inside is part lack of consistent training part owner not being the top dog. Removing his testicles may slow him down but won't always stop him.

I have never had one mark inside our home, I'm Alpha not them. My boy shares our house & bed without any problems.

Best.

Edited by Ashka

I have an entire male and he is not allowed to mark when we go for walks. Really its a pain and dont assume that just because you own a male dog it has to mark. If he stops and sniffs I give him till 3 if he cocks his leg I give him a tug on the lead and we walk again. I'm driven mad with stop starts so if he needs a proper piddle we stop but drippies are a no no because he started doing it at the local market on people trestle tables ;) whoops

It is a dominance and ownership thing. There are bitches that will mark territory too so yes hormone removal may last but be careful once they even out he may start again. You just have to keep an eye on him and if you see him sniffing a certain spot for a log time then call him off it. Keep him in the same room with you, not really a good idea to let puppies have free roam of you house anyway especially your bedroom or anything else with 'personal' smells.

Im with Nekhbet,when i walk the dogs dont pee up everything & i dont allow it.

When you allow the dog to wee up everything you are approving the behvaiour.

I allow my boys to wee on trees & only when i give the word toilets.

We get clients who drop there dogs off & allow them to wee up every post,the car,BBQ or anything else .The dogs are dirty & do pee in the house & they wonder why.Toilet training also means out in public too

I think dogs get toilet trained, and then they need to be trained that marking is also 'toileting'. :rofl: My boy was toilet trained, then started marking inside at 7 months or so... :laugh: We got him desexed (not because of the marking) but it was still a few months before we trained him out of it... He marks things on walks though.

I pretty much believe you just have to toilet train all over again. :rofl: