Flies Are Hurting My Sharpei!

olga82

Hi,

Can some one suggest how I can prevent flies biting my Sharpei's ears. He's scratches them and its looks horrible. I tried Fly away, aloe vera plant, vaseline, betadine to heal it up, anti septics. and nothing works, he keeps on scratching it, and wont let it heal up so flies keep coming back. PLEASE HELP.

I have a Lab that literally gets holes eaten into her ears, overnight. I have tried everything and I mean everything that is on the market for dogs and horses. I have only had long term success (we work all day and cannot re-apply) with two products. Muscaban which I use now, or purple Cetrigen wound spray for horses, the later looks dicky and stains their fur, but it is effective.

I have a Lab that literally gets holes eaten into her ears, overnight. I have tried everything and I mean everything that is on the market for dogs and horses. I have only had long term success (we work all day and cannot re-apply) with two products. Muscaban which I use now, or purple Cetrigen wound spray for horses, the later looks dicky and stains their fur, but it is effective.

Do these keep the flies away as well as heal the wounds? I have a red cattle dog client who i wash weekly, and his ears are black when i get there from fly dirt and blood. Damn things jump back on him as soon as i put him back in the yard. Owners put betadine and a cream they got from a pet supply several times daily but the little ba$tards keep coming back!

I will stop by Petbarn tomorrow morning and see if one of these products is available.

Actually, i just remembered a malamute i wash only occasionally who has trouble with fly bits on his feet and nose. Good excuse to give them a call - thanks for reminding me!

Thanks for the info, and thanks to the OP who posed the question. Will let you know how poor little Jethro does next week. He is an adorable little thing, and doesnt make a peep when i'm cleaning off his ears, even tho it HAS to hurt!

Do these keep the flies away as well as heal the wounds? I have a red cattle dog client who i wash weekly, and his ears are black when i get there from fly dirt and blood. Damn things jump back on him as soon as i put him back in the yard. Owners put betadine and a cream they got from a pet supply several times daily but the little ba$tards keep coming back!

I will stop by Petbarn tomorrow morning and see if one of these products is available.

Actually, i just remembered a malamute i wash only occasionally who has trouble with fly bits on his feet and nose. Good excuse to give them a call - thanks for reminding me!

Thanks for the info, and thanks to the OP who posed the question. Will let you know how poor little Jethro does next week. He is an adorable little thing, and doesnt make a peep when i'm cleaning off his ears, even tho it HAS to hurt!

The Muscaban just repels the flies and very effectively too and is good for a preventative before the holes appear or after they heal, but I wouldn't put the Muscaban on an open wound . The Cetrigen is an antiseptic wound spray with a fly repellent (made for horses). It dries the wound and makes a scab form, the flies will still hover around but not bite the wound mercilessly. The only drawback with the Cetrigen is that is does stain their fur purple. We have a lot of flies in Beef country and both of these products have been effective.

Try Musca-Ban...

Bout $35 for a 500ml bottle but lasts for ages, protects against fleas aswell.

nice lemon smell too

Yay, that's it Ruffles, i bought a bottle today!! :) Flies love my Sheppies ears.. :)

Edited to add- i use an antibiotic cream if the flies have caused a wound, and spray the musca ban over it.. That way you are treating AND preventing..

Edited by Luv my White Shepherd

I second dogbessotteds suggestionof the vasiline and permoxin mix on the wounds as it does work well and it does not harm the dogs.

I personally ALSO have a fly trap that keeps the numbers of flys down to the odd fly. With dogs and horses we have a real problem in this area with flys but at home there just arn't any these days. Fly traps are the best long term solution!!!!

Cheers

Linda

I would also recommend gettting his ears cleaned out, I have noticed with the Shar Pei that fly's are constantly around their ears when they have ear infections

Just a shot. I hope he feels better soon, and is it possible for you to do a photo thread?

Two of our Saints have all the skin off their nose from flys , is there anything that can be used on their nose that want harm if they lick it ?

permoxin and vaseline mixed together. It works wonders. last years i had a real battle with fly bitten dog noses and tried everything I could think of and many suggestions from others.

eventually a combination of vaseline and permoxin mix plus a serious fly trapping program..bingo.

We use Cotex Multi-Purpose pine oil spray. My MIL sells it as she is a dog groomer (don't know where else you can buy it) but it is the BEST! It heals the wound and repels flies and fleas. It is incredible and works so quickly! :)