Flea Treatment

So i put O`ren and Onyx on Advantage in mid March- with wonderful effects- overnight they had no fleas- however hard i searched, but this miracle only lasted ohh 12days??? :shhh::(:)

Now, there are other dogs on the same property that are NOT flea treated- but dont seem to be as affected by the fleas as mine- O`ren gets pretty damn itchy and has removed the coat from her bottom and tail thru biting, and onyx well, he just itches, whereas the other dogs dont seem to notice too much- tho they do itch (note these dogs are aged 2, 7 and 8yrs)

Am i wasting my time, and money buying Advantage for my dogs if the others arent trreated? should i ALSO get them the flea injection from the vet? is there a better product then Advantage?

Also has anyone used Malawash an Insecticidal wash for dogs, cats, poultry for fleas and ticks- apart from smelling alot like NAtphalene (sp?) does anyone else have a success story?

AGHGHGHGHGHG im so sick of here!!! apart from other reasons- this is possibly another reason why i need to get outta here!

all help and opinions are welcomed

I use Frontline Plus on Winnie and Ferris, and that seems to last the entire month. Ferris (JRT) is allergic to fleas, and if untreated gets a nasty rash on his belly and back. We also have a lab who doesn't get treated, and it hasn't seemed to effect the other two who do get treated.

All i need to say, is it worked miracles on the JRT who had the biggest problem with fleas!

Another good thing about it is that our local pet supplier will sell them in single vials, so you don't have to buy a full 3 month or 6 month in one hit! Works well on the budget!

Good luck with it all! :)

i just switched from frontline to advantage as i felt frontline wasnt working and one of my dogs was violently biting and scratching herself even after treatment. I have just tried advantage a few days ago and slowly she has stopped biting and scratching, so heres hoping. I think some dogs have different needs and react differently to treatment. Have you tried frontline?

I use frontline, every 4 weeks, and was complaining to my vet that I still find fleas although not many. She said to put a couple in a jar and if they die in (I think she said) about 20 mins then the frontline is working but it means Maddy is picking up fleas from the ground/ other dogs etc.

Hi have you tried advantix it's wonderful it also protects against ticks I have found it to be the best product I've ever used and I have many friends who have switched also and love it especially ppl with retrievers frontline, frontline plus and advantage were tried by all these ppl changed to advantix problem solved,one curly coated retriever had to waer a tshirt in the summer as he scratched all the time and pulling out his coat in the process they now use advantix and this summer was his first without a tshirt although he did look very cute :) it also replels mosquitoes, sandflies also larval flea stages are killed in the surroundings of Advantix treated pets.

It might cost a little more than advantage & frontline but worth every penny.

Cheers,

Michelle

If you have Advantage already I'd continue using it - at least your dogs will receive some relief by having the fleas that are on them die instead of carrying them around until they die of their own accord.

Remember also that all sorts of environmental things influence the number of fleas you see - it may be that after 12 days, a bunch of flea eggs laid 6 weeks ago just hatched!

Rule of thumb: If a flea is slow enough to catch on your dog easily, it's a reasonable sign that the flea treatment is working :)

Also has anyone used Malawash an Insecticidal wash for dogs, cats, poultry for fleas and ticks- apart from smelling alot like NAtphalene (sp?) does anyone else have a success story?[/color]

I have used Malawash on dogs and guinea pigs, but many years ago. I thought it worked really well, it was in the pre Frontline and Advantage days though. Doesn't smell too bad once it's dry. I think you can mix it up and spray kennels, runs and the ground too with it.

Good luck with your frustrating problem.

I use frontline, every 4 weeks, and was complaining to my vet that I still find fleas although not many. She said to put a couple in a jar and if they die in (I think she said) about 20 mins then the frontline is working but it means Maddy is picking up fleas from the ground/ other dogs etc.

It is a great idea to put some in a jar. Fleas are effected by the frontline within 20 min but can take up to 24 h to die.

Check wether you have any cats and/or possums in your backyard. they carry often a lot of fleas.

Your dog is a Border Collie, correct? Then unless you had had it DNA tested for Ivermectin sensitivity i would Not use the injection the Vets give.

The whole environment needs to be treated and if the other dogs on the property are not treated they may be carriers of the fleas your dogs keep getting.The bedding needs to be treated too.

I use Frontline Plus on my Rough Collies

I have been frontlining my golden and maltese every second week and it still is not killing the fleas but is lessening them.

I fleabombed some rooms in the house, this helped a bit

what should I use outside though?

after I get through the frontline I have might give Advantax a go.

You could also try supplementing with a B vit complex as this is makes you taste bad to fleas, ticks, mossies etc. One high in B6 as this is the main one, but a B complex is needed. Good for you too if you are getting bitten.

Also cut up a couple of lemons, steep them in hot water, let it cool and use it as a rinse. Lavender and neem oil is also good to repell insects.

Good luck!

Dan

The Vet told me fleas ar particularily bad this year.

I use Frontline Plus on 3 dogs and 2 cats but it is lasting about 3 weeks. Mia is still getting tham and she is on Invermetin as well. Not sure if animals around us are on anything though. There are possums in the area but how can one control that?

Come on Winter!

The Vet told me Frontline can be put on every three weeks if need be.

Karen

There are a few good washes out there for flea treating dogs. A strong one you can get from the vets is Permoxin. You dont need much and it kills all the fleas on the dog. Combined with flea treating all their bedding (Permoxin can be used as a spray also) and flea bombing the house, then using Frontline/Advantage etc you should not see a flea again!

Keeping in mind Frontline kills all fleas on the dog, but by the 4th week it is weakend and takes longer. So you might be seeing fleas on your dog, but generally the Frontline takes up to 6 hours to kick in and kill them.

Frontline seems to work better on some dogs and Advantage on others. Ive only heard good things about Advantix, so maybe give that ago.

In regards to your 6 months worth of Advantage, you could sell it on ebay or send it to a rescue org if you didnt want to continue using it :confused:

I found a flea on our girl and immediately washed her bedding in hot water and went to the local pet shop for supplies. They said the best one was 'Advantix' so I bought it. Turns out our girl is allergic and came up in big bumps all over her back (the day before a show :rainbowbridge: ). She was very itchy due to the bumps. And a week later we saw another flea on her, so it didnt even work! Now (about 2 weeks later) her skin is very dry and it's like really bad dandruff. Yes, we've washed her in Aloveen since and will again tomorrow. Not happy! :rofl:

We went to the vets a few days later for something else and when I mentioned it, they said that 1% of dogs have this reaction to Advantix.

So, if you're considering Advantix, just be aware that your dog may be itchier after the treatment than before it!

I've had a nightmare with fleas this last summer.............Permoxin, which has always worked in the past, flea shampoo, Frontline drops, Frontline spray, Pea Beau flea spray for the house and bedding..........I've spent a fortune!

I forgot.......I bombed the house too.

I tried Advantix and EUREKA.........no fleas!

jbbb..........such a shame your pup was allergic to it. I'm glad mine were not as it works.

So, if you're considering Advantix, just be aware that your dog may be itchier after the treatment than before it!

ANY product is capable of causing a reaction.

I have one dog who is highly reactive to Frontline.

He is fine with Advantage and Advantix.

Different products different dogs different reaction.

One of my cats almost went crazy tearing at himself after Advantage. He is fine with all other products I have used.

It is good to keep in mind that ANY product could cause a reaction.

Still wondering about that Flea Injection that was mentioned earlier in the thread, Anyone??

Nadia, I think some people report that ivermectin has some action against fleas (there was a reference to it earlier). Unless it's Program (lufenuron) but I'm not sure that I've ever seen that as an injection for dogs (as is available for cats) as it is included in Sentinel Spectrum.