He's Eating ?@#!

fazel

im the proud owner of a 5 month old boxer x, He is eating his own Poo, try to pick it up when i see him going to the toliet but sometimes im too late.

Is there anything i can do to stop him from doing this, or is there a reason he is doing this.

Guest ~*Pixie*~

Hallo :vomit:

Run a search through the Health / Nutrition / Grooming forum for "coprophagia" and you should come up with quite a few threads.

You are not alone!! :)

You can get some powder from the vet that cost $14.00 per day. You have to use it for a week. Yes as Pixie said you are not alone, I have had a few that done it. Most stop after a couple of weeks, and one of mine well she 2 and was still eating it.

They may be doing it to increase gut microflora. There are suggestions that dogs may do that - horses sure do - IME foals always eat a bit of their mother's poo. Probiotics might be something to look at, if not as a way to stop it, as something that he might need to establish/balance the microflora.

We once had a puppy that did this (quite disturbing as her other bad habbit was face licking)

She came to us from unknown origins so we dont know the history before (though we do know she came with mange) - anyway she ate her own poo and hte vet said it was because she wasn't digesting it properly and wasn't getting all the nutrients out of it. essentially food was going straight through her - so the poo was "still tasty to her".

I can't remember what he gave us but we had to give her something medical to help. Maybe you should talk to a vet about this.

i have a puppy that seemed to enjoy doing this, she is 4 months old and seems to have stopped eating it now but likes to move it to hide it if she does any at night. i posted my problem under training etc.. and was given some good advice which we tried and within 3 weeks she seemed to stop eating it but we do watch her all the time when she in the garden. good luck

Guest KOJAK

Hi Fazel

here is something that is easy to buy Unsweetened Pineapple Juice add it to the dogs meal.

I t will not harm them but it will certainly stop them from eating there POO.

Has worked on a number of dogs that I have told people to try it out

Love my german shepherds

kojak :mad:cry::cry: